Chanel No.5

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel No.5

3.7

on 10/18/2007 9:59:00 PM

Ok - this comment is updated from the post below. I went back to Macys today with the "Pure Parfum" in hand. The Chanel counter manager was shocked at the lightness of the color and consistency . After applying it the scent was gone within an hour. She had just received the Parfum from the manufacturer. So we opened the other one as well - same thing ! Is this a manufacturing problem ? The manager was very apologetic. I ended up purchasing EDT and EDP along with a gift set to replace the Parfum. - I would be interested in hearing if this has been experienced by anyone else.

I have worn Number 5 off and on for years. My favorite version was the "Sheer Moisture Mist" which was cancelled two years ago. When I wore that I was complimented by everyone. I have since searched around and the only thing that comes close to the notes are the bath soap. Today I sprung for my first bottle of the pure parfum. The color in the bottle seems very light - almost greenish! For some reason I always thought it would be more golden. The packaging was awful. There was a string tied around the top and then a plastic sealer which was very difficult to get off. The bottle has no weight to it . It feels like I am holding a mini sample. I did purchase the .5 oz (15 ml) and it was over $150 at Macys.Its ok , but I am wondering if I prefer the freshness to the EDT . The dropper and bottle are so small it drips all over your fingers. I am sensing lots of musk and know that I won't be getting any compliments on this . Very dissapointing . I miss the freshness that I expeienced in the moisture mist and hope that eau premiere (their new version) resembles that and doesn't have the overly vanilla sugar tones their exlixer has. I am really in Limbo but don't want to wear anything else...

on 10/7/2007 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I will always love Chanel No. 5. I have the refillable perfume bottle, which I also love. I definitely agree that this one really has to work with your body chemistry, and it does for me - so you absolutely must really test it out and give it an hour to sit with you before you decide.

Definitely the most classic of all of the Chanels I wear.

on 10/6/2007 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I realy wanted to love this perfume due to its notoriety but unfortunately it is not for me. It's way too heavy and matronly for me. It could be a body chemistry thing but I took one sniff on my wrist and grimaced! For me, it smells to "chemical", lacking any lighter floral notes. It would suit some but I'll stick to Allure if I feel like Chanel.

on 9/21/2007 11:18:00 PM

I really love this perfume. I wear it for all special occasions. My HG fragrance. Lovely scent and I always get compliments when I have this on. My husband is also a big fan!!!

on 9/21/2007 1:28:00 PM

My grandma used to work in Women's fragrances and this is her all-time favorite. This smell brings back memories of being a little girl and smelling her perfume. I definitely believe that if you are going to wear this fragrance, the pure parfum version is the only way to go. The EDP to me smells just like baby powder, which is not a scent that I am particularly fond of. However, the parfum, while still powdery, also smells like jasmine, which is lovely. Chanel no.5 is still not "me" though, because I prefer scents that are more intoxicating, and they usually have much warmer notes than this. I'd much rather wear Allure, or one of my all-time favorites, Coco Mademoiselle. Still sophisticated, but more my style. Perhaps it is convenient that I am not a fan of no.5, because my boyfriend detests it. I do appreciate this fragrance for being an elegant, timeless classic though.

I don't care for this scent. When it's just out of the bottle it smells like a clean fresh breeze. If it stayed this way I would love it. I have to agree with another reviewer that it becomes old and musty smelling. I think some people wear it, because it reminds them of a loved one who wore it, and this makes sense to me. It's one of those unmistakable scents, so that in itself makes it special.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I really wanted to like Chanel No. 5 because it is considered such a 'classic' scent. So last weekend my cousin and I were in Macy's and we tried it. This scent to me smells very old, so 'classic' is definitely the appropriate term. I hate to describe anything as an 'old lady' smell, but No. 5 really is. However, my cousin adored it, so different smells for everyone, but I was not impressed with it or the price tag either. As someone mentioned earlier, Coco Madmesoille smells very nice.

I have just 'graduated' into this aged 28 - it's always been my mother's perfume and until this week I therefore, like others, thought it was too old for me.
It wears very well - the initial synthetic aldehyde giving way within 30mins to a classic floral, then drying through the day to a soft, warm scent that lasts.
The packaging is also stunning.
It is a classic, and old fashioned, but still rather lovely and I personally have no problems wearing it on a hot sunny day. I feel it's professional and classy, though not enough drama for me for a big night out!
Two words of warning though:
a) This stuff is strong, and if you wear too much you lose the subtlety of the dry-down and get that 'too much perfume old person' thing. Go easy (and think of the cost!)
b) I'd echo what others have said about body chemistry - my mum and I love it, but i have smelt it on others and hated it. Sample first - this is not universal.

on 7/30/2007 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

this perfume will never go away. never. ever. it is a true classic. very thick, one spritz is almost overpowering. not realy for school, but good for special occasions. this perfume is kinda makes me think old hollywood glamour and goes well with a little black dress. very out of place in casual attire. i think its too overpowering but if you spray one spritz in the air and walk through it its wonderful. its the kind of perfume that people walk past and think "that person obviously wearing chanel no5" it is very expensive but lasts forever! classic perfume that will never go away. ever

on 6/25/2007 2:09:00 AM

There's nothing like Chanel #5 in my hair. It is very femine, and very light, without being sweet at all.

Popular Fragrances