Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.6

on 10/21/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My review is for the parfum. According to Luca Turin, the EdP is a reconstruction from the 80's by Jacques Polge and contains Polysantal (a synthetic sandalwood). The EdT is allegedly from the 50's and the parfum is supposed to be closest to the original. What makes the parfum stand out for me is a much richer floral heart, smoother aldehydes, and a less musky but creamier base. All together the parfum is more plush and seductive.

Every bit as daring and divisive as it was in 1921 when first released, No. 5 is truly one of the greats. A study of carefully judged contrasts that seem to meld into one euphoric expression, it is one of the most beautiful and cerebral perfumes I have ever smelled. First and foremost are the aldehydes which create a dramatic synthetic/modern/abstract counterpoint to the lush and very real heart of jasmine and rose de mai. One of the most beautiful floral accords I have ever smelled, the rose de mai is cool, fresh, and myrrh like with no trace of citrus. The jasmine is rich yet transparent and hypnotic without being indolic. This ultra feminine heart rests on a pristine, almost masculine base of vetiver soap: clean, creamy, and well scrubbed.

The overall effect to my nose is expensive sparkling soap... a strange amalgam of the frictionless and the scintillating, snapping with effervescence. The combination of exciting, exhilarating aldehydes mixing with precious florals and smooth soap is fantastic and unexpected. Dazzling!

It took me a long time to understand No. 5 because all I could smell at first were the aldehydes which struck me as relentlessly chemical and old fashioned. But just as the different concentrations of perfume each have a slightly different take on the same theme, so do the bath products. It was only when I tried the Velvet Body Creme which is more floral and less aldehydic that I began to understand No. 5's appeal.

on 10/21/2013 2:30:00 AM

I love scents with lots of layers and complexity. I fell in love with No. 5 well, a long time ago and if I have a signature scent this is it. I began wearing it at 18 when I moved to San Francisco and began to collect those things that defined my womanhood. I'm traditional with a streak of rebel. I resent change when I've found what I like but I seek it out anyway afraid I'll miss out on something. Why do I mention all this? Because it describes the impact the scent has on me. I've been to Paris many times and each time I could get any scent I wanted from the Duty Free shops still, it was always No. 5. I loved Chanel, her designs, her sophistication, her smile and she exuded many characteristics I longed to have. I hope they never rework the scent and feel it should remain just as she created it to be.

on 10/16/2013 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I absolutely adore the bottle and the color. Whenever I see it, I always think of really expensive and luxurious whiskey. It is so classy. Because of the bottle, I always want to buy it but I restrain myself because whenever I test this on my skin, I feel like it is too mature for me. sigh.. I really wish I could like this. lol.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I found a bottle of this and decided to use it up. I liked it so much that I bought a new bottle. It was crazy expensive. Still, I really like this scent. For whatever strange reason, only older classic fragrances smell good on me. Whenever I try something more modern, they turn unpleasant on me. The bottle that I got is really pretty too. I love looking at it on my dresser.

I can't get enough of this scent. First got the EDP, which is lovely, but doesn't really develop on me. It's there and it's great, but becomes boring after a few hours. Enter The EDT! This is so different! True to the scent, yes, but this is so much more interesting on me. It opens up so fresh and later on it sits very close to my skin. The woodsy and vanilla accords are really beautiful and I get a hint of musk too. This is so perfect! The scent changes throughout the day, always bringing on new notes. A true masterpiece! The staying power is medium on me. I absolutely don't mind refreshing the scent throughout the day. I bought a purse spray to carry with me. I purchased a 100ml splash bottle, so it should last me a while. That bottle was compared to the other packagings they have the best value for my money. The Twist and Spray version is the same price, but only carries 60ml. So I thought it would be best to compare all versions and decide then. The bottle itself isn't the iconic square version, but the rectangular one with the black screw cap. The one that they also use for their Exclusifs Parfums. This version comes in handy when I want to apply some drops with my fingers. I decant a bit for my purse spray, so it's the best of both worlds. What more can I say, I adore this scent, I adore Chanel, and I adore Coco herself.

on 8/6/2013 7:02:00 AM

Too floral.
Smells "old".

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is a fragrance for real women, not little girls ;)

on 7/1/2013 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Well this might be a little unfair review because it's not me who own this perfume, but my mother.. Eventhough she LOVE IT and I think it smells lovely on her, I absolutly hate it on myself. Think it's a fragrance for older women :)

I feel this scent has a resemblance to baby powder. A really expensive baby powder. I am not too much of a fan, especially being 20 years old. I believe it's because I do feel it's more suited an older, mature woman. It's something my mother or grandmother would wear. Probably something I would wear in another 20 years time.

I got a small sample bottle of this when I bought some Chanel skincare products. Omg it smells terrible to me. Overrated. I remember trying a bit from the bottle on my older sister's dressing table once a few years back, and i hated it then too. I thought now that i was a bit older i might find it nicer, but NO it still smells horrid. And it smells like a very artificial, trying-to-hard woman might wear it.

Btw I've seen a poll done on men and Chanel No 5 was one of their most hated scents. Dior Poison was there too. :p

(I'm not trying to be rude or anything. Perfume smells different on different pple depending on how it reacts with your body chemistry. So possibly it smells great on some ladies.)

Popular Fragrances