Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

on 10/5/2006 1:37:00 AM

I was given this polish a long time ago and I never got around to using it because I was afraid of the hassle of applying a dark unforgiving color such as this. However, I've since taken on to growing my nails out and when I finally reached for this today, the shade looked amazing on my nails. The best part is that one coat of this polish is sufficient! No need for a second coat whatsoever! I'm glad I still have this around :)

on 9/29/2006 10:27:00 AM

I had wanted this nail varnish for ages and finally found a Chanel counter that had it in stock (it's obviously very popular!). I tend to wear just one coat of it to get the dark red/brown colour. I usually don't wear dark or bright colours on my nails, but this is fabulous! Will definitely repurchase!

on 9/16/2006 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

No matter how many similar shades of polish you have in your collection, rest assured there is nothing quite like Rouge Noir. Other colors, like Revlon's "Vixen," may approach the red-black hue, but only Chanel can load on this much shine. I slapped a couple of coats on my nails one Friday and spent the weekend getting distracted by bright flashes of light reflecting from my dark, decadent nails.

The high-gloss shine made my half-assed home manicure look luxe and professional. Can't say enough good things about the shine. I wish that held true for the smell and the drying time, but those two aspects of this lovely little product definitely leave a lot to be desired. I don't think I've ever used a nail polish that smelled quite so bad - but I'm willing to live with that for the shine!

The manicure (base coat, 2 coats polish & top coat on short nails) lasted three days - but I didn't expect longer. Polish this dark and shiny shows even the smallest chips, and flaws that would not have been noticable in a lighter-colored manicure were glaringly apparent with Rouge Noir.

Lastly, Chanel must have reformulated "Vamp" because the polish that currently goes by that name is a dull, uninspired mulberry number devoid of any real drama. "Rouge Noir" is the shade I remember from the mid-nineties that seemed to take the world by storm one fall. I'm glad I read these reviews and got the real deal before I mistakenly ordered Vamp.

Sophisticated yet understated.
The perfect shade for day or night. Deep, rich color. Gorgeous.
However, the consistency has gotten too thick and for almost twenty dollars, I do not think I will repurchase, especially since I think I've found the same thing but for a fraction of the cost. Revlon Vixen.

on 7/15/2006 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Love this super sexy, sophisticated dark burgundy/almost black polish. I have had this bottle for 3 years (my bottle says Vamp on it), and it still goes on as striking and shiney as the day I bought it. I used to only wear it in the fall and winter, but I now wear it year round. I find it a refreshing change of pace in the summer from my usual pale pinks and sheer neutrals. I love seeing my girlfriends do a double take when they see my "Vampy" summer manicure. This color has become a classic for a reason. There are many other similar colors out there, and I have many of them, but Vamp unique. You can wear it if you are 15 or 50, it just works on everyone.

on 9/27/2006 6:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a very elegant and sexy looking nailpolish. The quality is what to be expected of Chanel. I usually wear two coats, the third coat looks a bit too dark for my liking. It dries quickly, and doesnt chip easily. I also like to mix this with reds (one coat red n/p and then rouge noir) for a lovely red- burgundy colour.

on 7/8/2006 7:54:00 AM

This is a very elegant deep, browned red creme that seems to require three coats every time I use it, because it applies a little streakily. I actually slightly prefer the colour I get at two coats - a very dark raisin red - but it doesn't look even without a third, at which point Vamp becomes close to black. Once it's on properly, though, it looks glossy, smooth and rich. With decent base and top coats, this lasts very well on me.

I would not repurchase this, however, because the price is ridiculous considering there are very close duplicates for this colour for much cheaper:Essie Wicked achieves that near-black look on me, and I prefer the application with that polish (though it also requires 3 coats). This is one of my faves.Maybelline Wet Shine in Succulent is close, but redder/plummier.Revlon Vixen is a very similar deep browned red.Orly Naughty is less red/brown but is almost black.MAC Vintage Vamp, which I just got and I haven't tried a full manicure of, looks extremely close - it's a smidge redder and less brown.All of these are of as good or better quality than Chanel Vamp, and have prices that are easier on the pocketbook. :)

(Note: Chanel supposedly has two versions of this nail polish: one called Vamp and one called Rouge Noir. My bottle has both names on it, so I have no idea which version mine is.)

Pics:NailsBottle with both names on itSwatch Comparison 1Swatch Comparison 2Swatch Comparison 3 continued >>

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Like therese108 (Hello, Lovey!) said, it is dead sexy. I need to replace mine because now that there is just a quarter of the bottle left, I feel like I need a fresh batch. Even though it still goes on great! My problem is that no one sells it where I live now. I don't find it expensive at all. But then again, I only wear a handful of np colours.

on 6/13/2006 8:49:00 AM

I tend to either wear dark red or a french polish. This is my favourite colour for my fingernails, and its been very well described by previous reviewers.

I really like dark polish but some aren't really 'work appropriate', well my work anyway. This is. Its a very classic look, IMO.

If I'm wearing dark red then this is one of my favourites. Its the only polish I've ever run out of and rebought.

I don't have any problems with it chipping. It ususally ends up wearing off the edges of my fingernails first, but that is after more than a week and they need to be redone anyway.

Regarding my toes, they basically live in this colour.

NB: I always use chip skip, a basecoat and a top coat.

on 7/7/2006 8:34:00 PM

My mum said it looks elegant but my sister said it's a bitchy colour. I love darker colours, and black is boring. I much prefer this one.

Popular Polishes