Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

on 8/2/2016 4:10:00 PM

If you've done your research, you will be familiar with the hype surrounding this product. There certainly is a reason for the buzz. This is a superb foundation. For many, the hunt for the perfect base stops at the Armani counter. I can understand that.

The texture is rather loose and runny, but blends like a dream into a medium finish. I use a brush as this is my preferred method, but I'm sure it would be a delight with a sponge like the Beauty Blender. Immediately after application, you can see how well it cooperates with the skin underneath; that's what really sets it apart from other foundations. A lot of effort has been made to produce a finish that kind of "follows" all kind of lightning instead of being revealing in unflattering settings. One huge problem I have with foundations in general is that you kind of have to choose if you want a radiant, oil spill, gloss kind of finish or a matte, flat, joker-like mask. "Normal" is not really easy to come by. But GA Luminous Silk knows that real skin is unique, equally radiant and matte, and emulates this perfectly. Even on top of my greasy, pilling sunscreen it managed to look great, while my Nars Velvet Matte fell apart like a birthday cake thrown into a wall.

The shades are numbered, I kind of don't like that. Number 5 that I use is radically different from the 5.5 for example, making matching a bit of a hassle. Take your time; it's well worth it. On a final note - If you are interested in the difference between the Luminous Silk and the Lasting Silk, check out the wonderful Karima McKimmie and her blog, shamelessfripperies.com, she also have a great YouTube channel that is a must see for MUA members around the world.

on 7/17/2016 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best foundation I've used.
To be fair I haven't tried many foundations because I have decent skin (normal leaning towards dry, and doesn't require heavy coverage) so I tend to stick to bb cream with beneficial properties when I do wear make up, but all the ones I've tried for foundation (Dior Forever, Estee Lauder double wear, Clarins, YSL serum, Too Faced born this way) didn't look too different to my skin without foundation.
When I tried this, I wasn't expecting a miracle, but after application I was so surprised to see that it actually made my skin look better! It made my skin look like a porcelain doll.
It lasted pretty well too, considering I didn't wear powder over it, and it didn't dry out my skin at the end of the day like some of the other foundations did (I'm looking at you, EL double wear).
The only con is the price ($90+ in David Jones), but I think it's worth the investment considering how in-often I wear makeup. Although I have a feeling I'll be wearing make up more often with this beauty in the collection! Love it!

Edit:
It's been about a year since I opened this foundation and I've noticed that the content seemed to have oxidised in the bottle somehow, it has become way too dark for me. I still love the finish, texture and longevity of the foundation but for $99 a bottle it's too dear for me to sparingly and then discard due to oxidisation.

Glad I have not purchased the product without testing it as it has not lived up to my expectations. I could not see much luminescence after applying the foundation. All the dry patches were clearly seen, and that doesn't happen when I use my regular foundations. The finish is semi-matte/satin.
Color 5 I was matched to was also slightly light for my NW25 skin tone. It was pretty neutral though which I find nice.

I love, love, love this foundation! It is true that gives the most beautiful finish on the skin without looking mask like. I love it even more when I set it with the luminous silk compact to extend the wear time and keeping me looking flawless for up to 8 hours. No kidding. I only need to blot once and set it again with the same compact powder to look fresh and it's definitely not cakey at all. When I use it on top of IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness concealer, it blends so well on top of it and it didn't look like I had any concealer on my skin. I have tried more than 30 foundations and this is truly my No. 1 right now for me to be using this for 2 weeks straight. Love it to bits!

Packaging is soooo luxurious and GIRL OMGGG I went to the Selena Gomez concert and I remembered looking in natural light and I was GLOWING in the right places. You don't even need highlight!!!! Only cons to this is that it's expensive :((( I would recommend for people with dry skin, oily..not so much

Bought this foundation because of all the hype and I love luminous dewy foundations. This was not luminous on me whatsoever. It clung to my dry patches, wore off within 3 hours (with primer) and looked cakey. I tried everything from moisturizing to exfoaliating. This foundation just did not work for me. The coverage is definitely light. I was hoping more for a medium coverage and this does not build well in the nose area. I did however use up the whole bottle, but will not be repurchasing again.

on 6/27/2016 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very poor coverage . Sits on top of my skin. Makes me shiny throughout the day and I have nonral to dry skin.

on 6/24/2016 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Love! Love! Love! This foundation is amazing. No SPF which means it will photographed well under any kind of light and even with flash photography! Skin looks luminous and not flat matte! Your skin looks healthy and beautiful with glow... Medium coverage and holds well on my skin. Highly recommended!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Having always had normal/dry slightly cakey prone skin.. I think I've found my HOLY grail foundation.
I first tested it out with a generous tester from the SA in Selfridges (always get testers before you commit)!!!
My face looked healthy, dewy natural and luminous without even the slightest hint of it being cakey. even if I layer it on. 😍 (If that doesn't deserve a 5* rating then I don't know what does)
Slightly pricey but worth investing if you're dry skinned like me that wants a luminous but natural finish.

on 6/24/2016 6:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Your skin but better, light weight everyday foundation that just gives your own skin a sheer glow coating without feeling like your wearing any makeup. Wouldn't recommend if you are after a full coverage foundation