Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

This is such an interesting foundation because people seem to love it or hate it. Unfortunately, this was a mess for me. Probably the worst looking foundation I've used on my skin.
To start out, I have pale NC10 skin that is normal but can get slightly oily on my nose and chin. My main skin issue is large hole-like pores on my cheeks. I need a foundation that can glide over those pores and smooth them out while matching my skin color. This foundation didn't cut it.
I used the lightest shade which matched fairly well although it did darken about a shade. The foundation looked about half a shade too dark after darkening against my neck but looked fine head-on. Certainly lighter than many other foundations.
Before I talk about the finish, I should mention that the packaging is beautiful with a great pump. It's what all high-end foundations should be like.
Now, onto the bad. This foundation is very thin and very dry. I think it's thinness caused it to gather into every pore on my and highlight them like I've never seen a foundation do before. Keep in mind this is after moisturizing and priming my face. I even broke our Benefit Porefessional (which I don't usually like) to see if that would help. No matter what primer or application I used I could not get it to apply evenly and look smooth on my face.
The wear was not much better. Despite looking dry upon application within 4 hours my nose was an oil slick. The minimal amount of oil my skin produced was enough to break apart this foundation.
One last thing. This product STINKS of powdery perfume and the scent lingers. Seriously, imagine your granny's perfume.
I gave 2 stars solely for the packaging and shade selection, but those are the only positives I have for this foundation.

The shade range of Fenty’s foundation is fabulous! There are plenty of colours to suit all shades and undertones. Despite a lot of people claiming their foundation oxidised a shade darker, I didn’t find that it oxidised at all, it stayed true to colour. Some reviewers find that it becomes a shade or two darker after drying so I recommend trying it out first to see how it sits on your skin. This foundation is very matte, but it doesn’t dry out my skin. It doesn’t cause any redness or irritation either. I find that it looks quite natural despite the matte finish - not at all cakey or mask like. I use about 1-1.5 pumps to cover my face. I don’t consider this a full coverage foundation though - more medium coverage. It will conceale any redness, uneven skin tone, dark circles or blemishes but some freckles do still show through. I personally prefer medium coverage foundation so am happy with the finish. It wears well throughout the day, it doesn’t fade, become patchy throughout the day or transfer. It even lasts through the heat and humidity (and sweating!). It is quite reasonably priced and comes in a lovely frosted glass bottle with a pump. I would highly recommend this foundation to anyone!

on 1/5/2018 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I was able to find the most perfect color match ever with this foundation. I can't even tell I'm wearing makeup, it just blends with my skin. That being said I lean oily and the finish is so matte I have to moisturize before applying. This needs to be applied and blended in small sections as it dries to quickly to blend if applied to the whole face at once. Also I feel like less is more with this product. Just under one pump does it for me, a full pump looks cakey on my skin

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I, like everyone else was very excited about this new line of make up. It can be really hard to find a good shade for me and this line has a ton to chose from. I found my shade but sadly the foundation did not work for me. I have combo skin, leaning more towards dry with a kinda oily T zone. This foundation was way too oily for me and I didn't like the way it just kind of sat on my skin. I also felt like after a few hours it just slid off my face. It never broke me out but I only tried it for one day. Gladly I never bought the product but just took a sample to try out.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'm really upset as today I've finally come to terms that I can't use this foundation anymore. It really was like I had a filter on, I looked more alive (I'm really pale and easily look ghostly), any problem area was completely covered, and it stayed on all day combined with The Ordinary primer. Unfortunately this slowly but surely was breaking me out. I never got a massive break out but I was starting to notice tiny little bumps under my skin and any acne I did have would always be worse after wearing this. It really is a shame because I was prepared to tie this with Estee lauder double wear, if not completely dethrone it, as my HG foundation

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

When i first used this foundation, i absolutely loved it!! I finally found my HG product and I loved the way it looked on camera but I started noticing that i was getting these odd breakouts on my forehead, chin and cheek area - like red bumps. I haven't really been getting spots but only since I started using the foundation. I'm pretty bummed out about it as I really liked the colour and the finish but if I am going to break out as a result of it then it's not worth it at all. Rihanna and her team need to fix up the formula for this ASAP!!

on 1/1/2018 9:49:00 PM

I have combi skin (oily at T zones and dry at the rest, especially at the inner corners of my eyes and the corners and underneath my nose). It’s also sensitive and easy to break out if the foundation is as cakey as the Kat Von D one. Also have pretty dark freckles. So usually when I look for a foundation I’d lean towards the higher coverage ones since I have the freckles AND the red spots from my dry skin to cover. Foundations with high coverage that don’t automatically break me out are usually considered a bonus, not a necessity (it’s that hard to find cos sensitive skin). This foundation is currently my HG. I have had it with me since the launch came out on Sept 17. I’ve used it in both humid and hot countries (SG) and in the cold (Japan). It works really well for both. I rarely wear makeup because I’m the kind who doesn’t wear any to work or school, only when I travel or when I go out. So when I do wear makeup, it’s usually on me for at least 8-12 hours. So to me, this is by far the BEST foundation yet (have yet to get my hands on the Huda Beauty one). To summarise: 1) Lasting power is AMAZING. Lasts super long in both hot weather (you’d probably have to blot a bit in the middle of the day if you have really oily skin as with most foundations, but nth rly major. It doesn’t even move like the KVD one. It just sort of.. fades off.) And in cold weather, it doesn’t cake up in my dry areas. With the power of the Laura Mercier LTP, the dry areas stay satin like in cold weather throughout the whole time I’m out (unless I’m having the flu and constantly need to blow my nose) 2) Colour and payoff is A+!!!! Upon getting this, you might want to try going to Sephora bare faced and trying the foundation right then and there and giving it 15 mins to settle and oxidise because it does turn a bit darker (not too much for the lighter shades like me but I heard the darker shades can take quite a turn) so for accuracy’s sake, do not I repeat DO NOT just swatch in on your arm and expect the colour to completely match your face. The coverage is high, everyone wasn’t kidding about that. A bit goes a long way if you have smooth skin with nothing much to cover. So far, I have cut down the amount of concealer I use because the coverage is so high it actually helps to cover my dark eyes as well. It is buildable as well, and does not cake up when you do. Dries down really fast to a sort of satin-like matte finish. I use a beauty blender because I feel like there is the risk of it being streaky if you don’t blend fast enough with a brush. I am in the shade 230. 3) I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel like this makes my other powder makeup last wayyyyyy longer than they usually do. And it goes great with both thicker (shape tape) and more watery (UD Naked) concealers. So it’s really versatile in this sense for such a high coverage foundation because usually foundations with high coverage like this might not allow you to pile on the thicker concealers. You will only need powder to set the areas you put concealer on, the rest will not budge even without powder. 4) Price point, it’s really worth it. A bottle is probably going to last you for a really, really long time.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I have normal skin, I found that the formula blended out nicely and offered medium coverage that felt very light almost undetectable on touch, as it says in the description. It is very matte, which I like the look of, and throughout the the day my skin seems to get drier but nothing intolerable. It is long lasting.

I had trouble finding the right shade. This does dry down darker at first. I am NC25-30.

210: good match, ever so slightly peach, but best out of the bunch.
220: very strong peach tones, looked orange
230: slightly too cool-toned (pink) on me
240: best undertone, yellow with no peach, but dries too deep, seems NC35-40

The shades don't seem to go from light to dark as the numbers went from lower to higher, I would rank the ones I tried from LIGHTEST to DARKEST like this: 230, 210, 240, 220

I tried samples of them all and purchased 210 but I ended up returning it because I could get a better match from other brands and the formula wasn't the best for this time of year. I could see myself being happy with 240 in the summer with a tan, and when my skin is oilier.

on 12/31/2017 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This foundation was so hyped I had to buy it. I did not get to test the shade and took a lucky guess- luckily it worked out OK for me. I am a shade 260 neutral which works well on my Asian skin tone. It blends well, oxidise to your skin tone which is good. Does not make me look too yellow or pink toned, which many foundations do. However, although many say this is a heavy coverage and very drying I did not find that. But my skin is quite oily. It is a medium to thick coverage but there are definitely many other foundations out there in thicker consistency/coverage such as MAC, Huda Beauty and Doublewear. The shade range is good. I don't think I will buy it again however- it is a good foundation but does not have anything unique/significant about it that other brands cannot do for me. If you want to try a new brand with a good shade range however, then I recommend it.

on 12/26/2017 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wear shade 330. I've also worn/wear Becca Bamboo, and NARS Tahoe.

It took me some trial and tribulation to like this foundation. First off STAY AWAY if you have any dryness, this will cling to dry patches like a dog on a steak. Though I would think that anyone with dry skin would stay away from anything that says matte? In my case, I don't have dry skin but get occasional flakiness from exfoliation/retin-a. This foundation was NOT my friend during those times. I also noticed this patchiness when using a brush, but I typically prefer my fingers or a sponge. I guess it wants a VERY smooth and moisturized face to behave correctly. The Fenty primer works OK with this, but I had better success with Becca's primers.

When it *does* work, it looks FLAWLESS. Because it's so finicky though I'm on the fence about repurchasing, though I'll use up the bottle I have.