Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I first heard of this line from Wayne Goss. Attracted to the low prices and simple ingredient list, I went for it. I got the rosehip oil and the vitamin c suspension.
I do not like this mainly because of the texture- it is very gritty and grainy and it sits on top of my skin, it takes a lot of time to absorve completely. The smell is also kind of "rubbery".
I noticed no real differences in my skin. But for the price you should try it for yourself, it might work out for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the first Vitamin C product I've bought where I've seen results. My post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can take anywhere between 2-5 months to fade naturally but after using this for two weeks my new PIH is more than half gone and the older PIH is gone completely. My face is noticeably brighter while using this.

It is important to remember that Vit C (especially in such high concentrations) can be irritating. I used too much of this at first and it started to burn when I applied it and I got some nasty cysts. I scaled back my usage to once every other evening and am doing well.

The texture is a little unpleasant. It's quite runny and I have to make sure I open the tube facing upwards otherwise product spills out, and it's also a little gritty (barely, though) which is due to the L-ascorbic acid powder. I like patting it into my skin so it doesn't feel gritty. My face is pretty greasy after using this, but at such an affordable price and with visible results, I am sure to repurchase.

EDIT: I ran out of this while it was out of stock and started getting noticeably fewer breakouts, so I probably have a sensitivity to the coconut alkanes in it. However, if this doesn't break you out, wetting your face before using it counteracts the grittiness and most of the greasiness.

on 1/11/2017 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Just started using this a few days ago so it's a bit early to see results. Will update on results in about 30 days. Right now I'm just reviewing on formula, packaging and price.

First I like tube that it comes in. It's safe from light exposure and no messy dropper. Second I like that there is very little scent and whatever scent there is seems to be the natural odor of the ingredients so no added perfumes or fragrances. It's sort of like a thick serum and it does take quite awhile to absorb so for that reason I would probably use this in the evening as I don't have time to sit around waiting for something to absorb in the morning.

There is a noticeable sting when it is first applied but contrary to what a previous reviewer says, Deciem DID NOT create this serum with intention that it be diluted. Here is what they actually say on their website:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

So basically there will be stinging but it's shouldn't be irritating so using it full strength directly from the tube is perfectly safe. However if it stings too much or takes too long to absorb then you can dilute it. If not diluting then remember that a little goes a long way. I used too much the first time and 30 minutes later my skin still felt oily and tacky.

All of the ingredients are listed on the box that the tube comes in and the price is amazing. As long as I don't have any adverse reactions to this product I can't think of any reason to not repurchase.

Edit 15/06/17

I've pretty much stopped using this and I'm not sure if I will repurchase. I can't get used to the way it just sits on my face. Using it in the morning is out of the question because it just doesn't absorb and I can't put cosmetics on top of it. I don't like using it in the evening because that's when I apply my other active products. I get that by not using water or silicone as a base the product remains stable and retains it's strength but I just can't get used to it. I have gone back to using my old vit c serums. I might try this again after the summer as I do like the price.

on 1/12/2017 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm a regular Vit c serum user. This is a nice delivery method, especially for those with dry skin. Some Vit C serums can contain a lot of alcohol, so it's nice to find a delivery method that doesn't have this. My biggest problem with this is the texture. I can feel gritty (almost crystalline) fine particles in this. Not sure if it's a manf issue? I don't feel it once I rub in, and the texture is quite smooth and nice. I also get some facial flushing for a short while. Doesn't persist but I don't love it. I think I'll use this up on my neck & chest, will not repurchase. I prefer Melano CC Stain Remove Serum - a Japanese product

on 12/27/2016 7:29:00 PM

Another thing to keep in mind that this stuff get's not absorbed into the skin and mainly stays on the surface which I don't like.

on 11/23/2016 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It feels gritty which I'm not used to.

on 11/11/2016 12:40:00 PM

This stuff is fantastic. I have to thank Makeup Alley for pointing me toward this product when I was considering serums. I've bought five products from this line in the last month or so and will probably buy more. The prices in The Ordinary line are very low, too, which helps when you're trying new products.

The last person who gave me a facial told me my skin was pretty good, but I've always had issues with it—some acne, freckles and other sun damage, and a few persistent whiteheads which seemed destined only to grow with time—and I'm in my 40s, so soon wrinkles are going to join the "fun." As a general thing, the most I expect from skin care is to hold the line, as it were, and not make any of these things worse.

I've been using this treatment for about a month now, and the results have been amazing. All the things I mentioned above are getting visibly better, to the point that I've been using less foundation and even pulled the tinted moisturizer I was never confident enough to use from its place under the sink. (I've been using the vitamin C in conjunction with The Ordinary's rosehip seed oil, so I'm not sure the vitamin C can take all the credit!). Used regularly, this seems to be a legitimate route to better skin, and at a great price.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Woooo look at all the thumbs down after i said dont PM me about this. We have some real Einsteins on here!

11/6/2016: Please do not message me regarding this product...some of you don't understand what "dilute" means and I am scared for your skin's future. :\ :\ :\

------------
My face seems to hate plant based ingredients so I am trying to manipulate a way to use vitamin c on it. With that being said, I bought this for my body and lips. It was so good I actually bought 5 back ups on the next order after waiting a month for Deciem to restock it. The first time I ordered it was in a dropper bottle, this time around it is in a tube because people had issues getting the very last bit out. I didn't mind the original packaging but it is nice Deciem listens to complaints from customers.

Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant. So it can reverse free radical damage on the skin along with UVA damage from the sun. Antioxidants help boost the efficiency of sun protection so I suggest wearing this during the daytime under sunscreen if possible. Additionally vitamin c is known for its ability to generate collagen synthesis, which is why I bother putting it on my lips. It's a great product to use on my body after dermarolling because it will aid in producing collagen and smoothing out my stretchmarks. It's also great for your hands and neck since they are usually the most neglected yet earliest to show signs of aging.

23% L-Aa is very strong. Studies have proven it only takes 10% to create results. Deciem created this product with the intention of customers diluting it in a base (such as your daily moisturizer). So if you feel it is stinging your face just dilute it. The stinging/burning sensation is even expected by Deciem/The Ordinary. It's just very strong. You'll get even more bang for your buck...on top of the fact the product is dirt cheap to begin with. If you are new to trying out vit c work your way up from 5% in strength until you know how your skin reacts.

The biggest reason The Ordinary's formulation gets my vote is they offer an anhydrous formula. Meaning it is water-free, and therefore a lot more stable than traditional vitamin c serums on the market. Vitamin c mixed with water is typically unstable and I've had plenty of $$$ vitamin c products turn before. Hell, my expensive Skinceuticals one oxidized before I could even use it.

Now for the cons... my biggest complaint by far is the fact they added coconut derivatives to the ingredient list. Most acne-prone skintypes will find the Coconut Alkanes and Coco-Caprylate/Caprate in this to be problematic. Since I only use this on my body and I don't tend to break out there, it's not a deal breaker for me. Squalane is also high up on the list, which is an oil. I'm not sure if Deciem is using a shark or olive based source but I'd just keep that in mind if you're prone to clogs from it.

I should note some people will hate the hyaluronic acid in this formulation, although most people find it to be a huge pro. Hyaluronic acid is known for it's ability to retain huge amounts of moisture BUT can potentially suck the moisture out of your skin if applied in the wrong conditions. With all skincare --- your mileage may vary.

I will repurchase for my body and lips.

---
Editing to add the ingredient list incase this helps anyone: