Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 3/5/2017 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I make my own Vitamin C toner but ideally I've wanted to find something I can trust (more than my recipe, no matter how exacting I am), and is not expensive. Enter The Ordinary.

I wanted to like this, I really did! But I've compromised:

- Texture: the grit is horrible for faces. I wear VitC in the am as I wear other exfoliates in the pm, so I will be putting moisturizer/sunscreen/makeup on top. The grit will collect on other products and pill horribly.

- Greasiness: it's greasy, there is no other way to say it.

- Effectiveness: I believe it works well. The backs of my hands look remarkable, pigmentation has nearly disappeared after a month of use.

So my compromise is: I use this only on my throat and back of hands, because I only top with CeraVe AM moist/sunscreen. It is so darn cheap and lasts and is effective, for me it will be a great, inexpensive item for those areas. I might splurge a "little" for the face, like the Timeless, which seems to get good reviews here and on Amazon (and Fakespot).

on 3/2/2017 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I got this by accident because I meant to get one of the more water-based formulations.

I wanted to like this, and for the record, am a big fan of other Deciem/The Ordinary products, but this just did not work for me.

I have ++ oily acne-prone skin and I found with facial application, this just did not sink in. Massaging it in by any way just caused it to pill up. The greasy film didn't help. I have vitamin C powder that I sometimes add to immediate use face masks (yogurt + matcha + vit C + honey = magic!) and with great results, so I got this. I'm not sure if it is super effective to be honest because I can't handle have a greasy residue for hours on my skin.

TL;DR if you have oily skin, this is not for you. I may be using the product like an earlier poster mentioned, on the body/lips, but for a facial vitamin C thing - not for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Have only used this product once and it has stung like hell. Think I used way too much of it. Warning to those using this for the first time. Use sparingly and I would suggest using it at nighttime.

on 2/28/2017 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have used this suspension for almost a month now, at least three times a week, on my retinol nights off. All I have to say is that this stuff is brilliant. Yes, it has a gritty texture (I don't mind). Yes it leaves an oily film on the skin (I actually love it on my dry skin). And Yes it works and it is as cheap as chips!!

I am delighted with the results on the areas where my sun pigmentation was more visible like side of the cheeks and the chest but I am even more impressed by the upper lip area. This is where this suspension has really worked its magic on pigmentation. The skin is now pretty much clear. Very impressed.

As for skin irritation, I haven't had any issue. On some nights (not at the start) I have noticed a very mild tingling but nothing like burning or stinging. I don't have sensitive skin so of course this has been just my personal reaction to this suspension and you might want to be careful and maybe "buffer" it with your usual moisturiser if you are worried about it. For me this is a night treat that deserves to work on the skin without any interference from other actives. It is pretty powerful on its own and the formula very concentrated so better be cautious.
Overall, my skintone is much more even and brighter. For the price, I believe I will always have a tube around to fill my spare night routines. I have seen a true difference and I am sticking with it because it would be foolish not to.
Edit: I now use a tiny bit in the morning after my hyaluronic lotion and before moisturizer and SPF. Just dab it , no rubbing or spreading. Already repurchased. It works as a treat. Love it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, so this is a complicated product, and my review is just my opinion. Some people may really like this product and I get it. So read through and if what I don't like about it doesn't bother you then definitely get it.

Cons:
The texture. And here's where I get scientific. Vitamin C is in powder form when it's added to cosmetics. The problem with it being in a water solution or a formula with water, is that it dissolves and oxidizes, limiting the shelf life and efficacy of the product. It requires other ingredients to be added to TRY and stabilize the vitamin C, enough to be effective. However water allows for better absorption.

This product is water-free, so it feels grainy- literally the powdered vitamin C added to the suspension. The problem is with application. 1. It sits on the surface, doesn't absorb well. It's dependent on the water in your skin to break it down and help absorb it. This means that though the formula is 23%, really probably only about 10-15% actually gets absorbed into the skin. 2. It's irritating. Label says mild tingling, but getting real, it stings and burns. While I did notice it helped with pigmentation on areas less sensitive (forehead, side of face), if left my cheeks red that didn't go away easily.

You can minimize both caveats by spritzing your face with hydrating water (Evian spray, Avene, rose water) and mixing it with a little moisturizer. That will help with the irritation/texture.

Pros: !t works, probably the best of all the vitamin C products I used, but at a cost. If you don't have particularly sensitive skin, then great this would work. Because it does work. It just takes some growing pains and creativity to get it on.

Also, it's cheap as hell!

So, I probably won't repurchase, because all of those cons are annoying. But I think this is definitely one of those products where your mileage may vary.

My dermatologist recommended Vitamin C and I'm on my second tube of this one, having started with ZO Medical Vitamin C. I use it in the daytime over a serum and under an SPF moisturiser (as I use The Ordinary's Retinoid 1% at night) .

Initially, I used it at night but it stained my pillows and bed clothes. It also sits in my pores which were previously pretty much invisible and now are noticeably stained orange (if you look close-up). Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be doing - certainly not brightening my complexion!

on 1/11/2017 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Just started using this a few days ago so it's a bit early to see results. Will update on results in about 30 days. Right now I'm just reviewing on formula, packaging and price.

First I like tube that it comes in. It's safe from light exposure and no messy dropper. Second I like that there is very little scent and whatever scent there is seems to be the natural odor of the ingredients so no added perfumes or fragrances. It's sort of like a thick serum and it does take quite awhile to absorb so for that reason I would probably use this in the evening as I don't have time to sit around waiting for something to absorb in the morning.

There is a noticeable sting when it is first applied but contrary to what a previous reviewer says, Deciem DID NOT create this serum with intention that it be diluted. Here is what they actually say on their website:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

So basically there will be stinging but it's shouldn't be irritating so using it full strength directly from the tube is perfectly safe. However if it stings too much or takes too long to absorb then you can dilute it. If not diluting then remember that a little goes a long way. I used too much the first time and 30 minutes later my skin still felt oily and tacky.

All of the ingredients are listed on the box that the tube comes in and the price is amazing. As long as I don't have any adverse reactions to this product I can't think of any reason to not repurchase.

Edit 15/06/17

I've pretty much stopped using this and I'm not sure if I will repurchase. I can't get used to the way it just sits on my face. Using it in the morning is out of the question because it just doesn't absorb and I can't put cosmetics on top of it. I don't like using it in the evening because that's when I apply my other active products. I get that by not using water or silicone as a base the product remains stable and retains it's strength but I just can't get used to it. I have gone back to using my old vit c serums. I might try this again after the summer as I do like the price.

on 1/12/2017 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm a regular Vit c serum user. This is a nice delivery method, especially for those with dry skin. Some Vit C serums can contain a lot of alcohol, so it's nice to find a delivery method that doesn't have this. My biggest problem with this is the texture. I can feel gritty (almost crystalline) fine particles in this. Not sure if it's a manf issue? I don't feel it once I rub in, and the texture is quite smooth and nice. I also get some facial flushing for a short while. Doesn't persist but I don't love it. I think I'll use this up on my neck & chest, will not repurchase. I prefer Melano CC Stain Remove Serum - a Japanese product

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I first heard of this line from Wayne Goss. Attracted to the low prices and simple ingredient list, I went for it. I got the rosehip oil and the vitamin c suspension.
I do not like this mainly because of the texture- it is very gritty and grainy and it sits on top of my skin, it takes a lot of time to absorve completely. The smell is also kind of "rubbery".
I noticed no real differences in my skin. But for the price you should try it for yourself, it might work out for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the first Vitamin C product I've bought where I've seen results. My post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can take anywhere between 2-5 months to fade naturally but after using this for two weeks my new PIH is more than half gone and the older PIH is gone completely. My face is noticeably brighter while using this.

It is important to remember that Vit C (especially in such high concentrations) can be irritating. I used too much of this at first and it started to burn when I applied it and I got some nasty cysts. I scaled back my usage to once every other evening and am doing well.

The texture is a little unpleasant. It's quite runny and I have to make sure I open the tube facing upwards otherwise product spills out, and it's also a little gritty (barely, though) which is due to the L-ascorbic acid powder. I like patting it into my skin so it doesn't feel gritty. My face is pretty greasy after using this, but at such an affordable price and with visible results, I am sure to repurchase.

EDIT: I ran out of this while it was out of stock and started getting noticeably fewer breakouts, so I probably have a sensitivity to the coconut alkanes in it. However, if this doesn't break you out, wetting your face before using it counteracts the grittiness and most of the greasiness.