Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 4/12/2016 12:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

an amazing palette! great color pay off as well as selection. The shadows are so buttery and smooth! I like how they show you which are cool, neutral and warm so it doesnt start to look muddy! my favorite shade is "laetus", it makes for a great transition shade!

The shadows are well-pigmented and have a buttery feel.
1. There are many light shades (very important as I usually use them up more than the dark shades)
2. There is plenty of the shade that is great for contouring my nose, it is greyish beige, similar to UD's Naked2
3. The very dark colours are not patchy which they are in many other palettes eg Crave in UD Naked Basics

But they smell of some terrible chemical...

on 3/17/2016 2:13:00 AM

I like it but think the warm shades might be a little too warm for a "bare eye" look for my fair skin. It is a nice palette and I always like how it looks on other people.

I have hooded eyes and am at that age where sparkle and glitter look ridiculous. I read the hype and was hesitant to purchase thinking this is the new "it" palette of the moment. But I am sure glad I bought this. The palette is heaven in a box--especially for mature, uber sensitive eyes. I LOVE the quality and buttery softness of the eye shadows. They are highly pigmented, blend like a dream and wear well. Because the shades are warm and cool, you can subtly call attention to what you want to by understanding what temperature and tone mean in color. I also use the neutral light butter shade to set my concealer. Other colors in the palette can be used on the brows, etc. This is one versatile, high quality palette. If you can only own one matte eyeshadow palette, I highly recommend this one. Well done Kat Von D!

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This palette is a huge disappointment to me. The light shades all look the same once applied, the peach doesn't really show up on me, and the formula is just meh. Only my second high end pallet purchase, and for the price, I expected a lot more.

on 2/20/2016 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is an amazing palette. The range of shades make it perfect for any skin tone and the great in a professional environment. I wear these to work and feel very comfortable with not looking OVERLY done.

Pigmented and buttery feel. Great palette and I would definitely repurchase again and again and again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(with full apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

I don't know where to start. I can't even. I mean ... it's just ... "Where have you been all my life?!"

I'm not the best blendy-type-person. I'm just not. There are many blending virtuosi amongst us, but I'm not one of that group. I wouldn't even pass the entrance exam.

But even I can blend like a pro with this palette (and a decent brush because that can be a game changer, let's not deny it). I'm blown away. I'm a little hesitant about buying cult favorites, because sometimes I've just not that impressed. I've even thought "meh" about much adored brands and products. This one though? Totally bought into the hype. Bought the product. Tested the product. 10 minutes later ran screaming through the house to impart upon my long-suffering husband that I had found my HG of eyeshadows.

I have to use a very light touch (see, I do read a lot of stuff here - I'm learning!) and yes, it does kick up just a wee bit of powder but holy pigmentation Batman I can finish my eyes in - literally! - 10 minutes.

Love it. Just love it.

on 2/15/2016 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I own a lot of palettes but this is a staple being all nude and matte, so gets a lot of use. The shades may look boring but they are well organised into sections of neutral, cool and warm, and teamed with the spread of highlight, base, contour and definition shades in each section, it makes for a well curated everyday go to option.

What has impressed me the most though is the consistency in quality across each and every shade. There are no duds, which is unheard of for mattes. Despite being nicely pigmented they blend easily due to the fine texture, but are not too soft that they become muddy or too hard that they become harsh and powdery. Even my cheapest brushes can manage easy application, if you don't want to splurge on the specific kvd brush for this.

There is a guide on the original box that suggests looks, so I recommend checking that out if you're new to make up or want inspiration. Otherwise you are only limited by your own creativity as far as nudes can take you! Smokey, halo, graphic, and natural are all achievable, but if you do like a pop of colour or shimmer this palette alone won't be enough to get you by as it's very specific in its aims. Sometimes I look at palettes and feel like they're having a bit of an identity crisis, but shade and light knows exactly who it is and does it well!

Shadows last on me all day over primer but can be removed with water. The fading is limited and I've woken up with it still in place after falling asleep. I can't fault the formula, especially considering they're mattes, but it is a bit boring for me if I have to find an honest criticism (and that's really my own personal preference, not the palettes concern). I'd sooner reach for the shades in Tarte mattenificent but kvd formula leaves it for dead. Highly recommended.

on 2/10/2016 4:55:00 PM

Best eye palette I have ever owned. I love matt shadows and they are getting very hard to find. These are rich in colour, what you see is what you get. I add a little water to my brush and apply them wet...........fantastic.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Absolutely my HG palette. I use it almost every day. The colors are rich and very easy to work with. They blend well and I don't get fall out. Easily goes from day to night looks. I prime with UD Primer Potion Anti Aging. Will also use my NYX jumbo Shadow pencil in Milk as a base when I want my shadow to be the focus. Can't say enough great things about this Palette. Jus try it for yourself. You'll see.

Popular Palettes