Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream

3.6

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

UPDATE 10/20/12: I have downgraded this foundation to three stars. After more than a month of daily wear, I no longer care for it. It's just too opaque and heavy, more than I am used to wearing, and certainly more like a full-coverage foundation than a BB cream. I also started to get a couple underground acne bumps, and this "cream" is the only new skin product I introduced into my routine. When I tried using less in targeted areas (nose, chin), I ended up with little divots of beige in my pores by midday, so I need full coverage or none at all—or I have to wear it over a silicone-based primer, and that violates my makeup policy where anything I buy needs to be able to stand on its own. If I am going to wear a BB cream, to date, nothing beats MISSHA #21.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I have been wearing Jane Iredale PurePressed powder foundation since 2000 and adore it, but I have lately wanted something with a tiny bit more coverage that is neither masklike nor a concealer, to hide the pink on my cheeks and chin (mild rosacea). A friend directed me to the excellent reviews here, and I decided to try Jane Iredale's Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream.

I called Dermstore for assistance in selecting a color, and I chose BB1, which is beige with the barest whisper of pink—a good match for my light skin (NW 15-20). The texture was initially quite disappointing: heavy, thick, and so stiff it dragged across my skin with my fingertips, reminding me of JI's Dream Tint, which I did not like. So I have been dotting it around my face, feathering out as gently as possible with my fingertips, and then bouncing a damp Beautyblender sponge over the surface to smooth over my pores. I CANNOT use this product without finishing with a damp sponge. Period. A pea size truly is all you need, and I mean a petite pea.

Applying the BB cream causes initial surface redness; there's no way to avoid it because the cream is hard to spread. Once on, and after the redness calms down, I get complete coverage of all traces of red and hyperpigmentation. I set it with a light dusting of JI PurePressed powder, which is probably overkill because the BB cream does not budge. It contains 'cones, so I will have to be vigilant about clarifying my skin to avoid blockages or milia. I still have combination skin, and I did not notice any excess oil. In fact, my skin seems less oily throughout the day when I am wearing this cream.

I feel like I need a double wash to get this off at the end of the day. JI claims we can sleep in mineral makeup, but that just isn't my thing. I make a first pass with Bioderma Crealine (or an oil or cream cleanser that I tissue off) and then follow up with a liquid or foaming cleanser, which seems to do the trick.

I am enjoying this so far and might consider buying again, but a single tube should last years.

INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 20%. Aqua/Water/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Stearoxymethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Maltodextrin, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Fruit Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Pectin, Chlorella Vulgaris/Lupinus Albus Protein Ferment, Sodium Ascorbate, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Root Extract, Lecithin, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract (and) Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Aluminum Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288).

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I ordered a sample of this and used a beautyblender sponge to apply. I was very impressed with the coverage and how smoothly it looked on my skin. The PROBLEM presented itself two days later when my face started to break out and I noticed it was really clogging my pores. I suggest getting a sample first because I would have never thought this would happen with a Jane Iredale product. My skin didn't like this at all! I do have skin allergies but this is suppose to be paraben free. Can't figure this one out at all! UPDATE: The reason my skin does not like this is because it is loaded with citric acid just like It Cosmetics CC+ cream. Wish I could find products like these without Citric Acid. Really love the coverage and staying power.

WHOA this is pretty amazing. I love this stuff. I seriously only use a pea size amount for my face. I apply it over my already moisturized skin (tarte maracuja oil) and find this combo works super well for me. I really am amazed at how well it covers. It instantly brightens my face and hides what needs to go away. It lasts pretty well I do touch up about mid day with JI pressed base on my nose. I haven't broken out at all if anything my face is getting better. I definitely will repurchase but this this tube will last a while.

I really love this BB cream. I am a MAC NC30 - NC35 girl. I have lots of yellow in my skintone. The Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream in BB7 is the perfect/best match. The BB5 is really too light for me. This provides great full coverage. A little goes a long way! If you put too much on - it will look like you put too much on. I apply this with my fingers - warm the product up and blend in just like I would a moisturizer. I like to use this as my primer. I apply a light coverage of this BB cream and then a light coverage of my foundation. This gives me a flawless look that lasts throughout the entire day. LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I really like this BB cream. It's hideously expensive where I live (75$) and I've yet to find out if it's really that much better in terms of performance and how it treats my skin than a regular high-end foundation. Time will tell. For now though, after a few days of wearing it, I must say that I really like it. I got the color BB3, which is absolutely perfect for my NC15-20, slightly peach toned skin. It covers everything and gives me a slightly dewy finish. All the reviewers who have said that you need only a tiny amount are absolutely right – you need very little for a full face application! I've tried applying it with my fingers, but I prefer using a wedge sponge, as I feel it gives less opaque coverage and spreads more easily that way. I love the faint citrusy-floral smell and my skin feels soft after I wash it at night. I love the squeeze tube and it does contain 50ml, as opposed to regular foundations that usually come in 30ml bottles, so this will last a very long time. Great product, I just wish it wasn't so expensive! Be aware that this contains several silicones high up on the ingredient list, just like any regular foundation and many other BB creams which are not marketed as "natural".

This has just kicked Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream off the shelf and into the trash. JI's BB cream has almost full coverage on the level of ELDW, by using even less product. Nearly covers everything. The way you apply it is by dabbing a few small spots on areas of your face then blending with your fingers. It has a creamy consistency, not hard to apply at all. There is a sweet smell which is kind of peachy (although I am using BB3, which has a peachy hue...)

I have oily skin and this goes on with a naturally dewy/satiny look. It is quite moisturising, a bit too much for me because it doesn't stay on as well as some foundations. It'll come off easier when blotting, although after 14 hours it's still looking quite well off. Not as long lasting as ELDW of course, but the ingredients in this are much better. The packaging is a squeezable tube, so nice and clean to use. Have had no breakouts or skin reactions.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm a professional makeup artist who has struggled with acne for the past 10 yrs. I prefer to use natural mineral based products on my skin, but many of the natural foundations out there just don't offer enough coverage for my complexion. I recently found out about JI BB cream and had to check it out. Absolutely LOVE IT! This stuff provides the FULL coverage that I've been looking for from a mineral product. However, I do find that b/c the pigment is so concentrated, you would have to pre-moisturize before applying or it will be hard to spread, OR you can also mix it w/ moisturizer or primer--then apply. For a skincare&makeup product in ONE that gives you 1.7oz , $48 is a quite reasonable, especially since a little bit goes a long way.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

EDIT: NEVERMIND. Have been using this off and on for a year and I JUST figured out that it's the cause of my sporadic breakouts. Because I wasn't using it consistently, I couldn't figure out what was causing me to break out so badly. But lately I've been using this more and more, and the more I use it, the worse my skin gets. I'm talking breakouts like I haven't had since my teens-- I had to start using Proactiv again! I finally threw this in the trash and within a week my skin was 90% better. I'm actually ANGRY at this product and at the people at Jane Iredale who won my trust with their pressed mineral foundation and then threw this silicone bomb at me. Garbage. Absolute garbage.

I bought this as a happy accident- I was actually in my salon looking for a slightly darker shade of pressed powder for summer when they showed me this new product. I ended up getting both the Smooth Affair and this BB cream and I have to say, all three used together (primer, bb, pressed powder) creates an airbrushed, natural look that I've never been able to achieve before. Other reviewers have noted that there's not a huge color selection, but the great thing about this product is that it sort of adapts to your skin tone after a few minutes. I've been wearing this daily for several weeks and it looks just as good five hours after I put it on as it does twenty minutes after. I will say that I'm super oily and this definitely doesn't do anything to help that; I'm used to blotting throughout the day, though, so that's not really a big deal. Another thing- reviewers keep mentioning that a little goes a long way? Yeah. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. Think half a pea. Just a teeny, teeny bit. I apply this with my fingers (it seems to melt better and spread more easily this way) and anything more than the smallest amount will look cakey. Oh! And this doesn't break me out AT ALL. That's how I found Jane Iredale in the first place- EVEYTHING breaks me out except Jane Iredale and Jan Marini, and this product is no exception. I really love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Although I was very unimpressed with the BB creams I have seen from other lines, this is really something special. Glow Time provides an airbrushed look of flawless skin. nothing I have tried has come close to this makeup. Best of all, if you don't have time to go through your whole makeup routine, Glow Time provides a quick and safe (SPF 25) natural beauty look that we all love to have 24/7. When I have time to pull out all the stops and do full makeup it provides all of the glamour of a professional makeup application. This is achieved by using Smooth Affair primer, Glow Time and finish with the color corresponding pressed powder. If you are not sure what shade of Glow Time to use just call the J. I. 800 number and one of their consultants will match you up. Finally, in an effort to streamline your makeup routine and save money, this little tube of gold actually doubles as a full coverage natural looking concealer.

I previously just loved BB creams. However, I then "went cruelty free" and stopped using them as most were not able to be traced for their animal testing status. I did try.

So, for the cruelty free girls the only that come to mind are the Boscia bb and now the Jane Iredale. The Boscia I was less than impressed with.

Back to the point. I'm so happy to be able to re-enter the bb cream world with this one from Jane Iredale. Despite its cruelty free status, this is my favorite bb cream I have used. I do use this with her Primer as well, which I also totally love.
Pros:
-The coverage with this is quite nice. It is quite solid for a bb cream and i would give it an overall "light to medium" coverage for a foundation product ("Light" to me is Chanel Aqua lumiere and "Heavy" is Bobbi Brown hydrating foundation). I don't require too much coverage but for under my eyes, so I can't speak to this for someone who wants a lot lot of coverage. Used in conjunction with my color corrector and concealer, I am very happy with my under eye appearance.
-The product lasts a full day for me when used with the primer.
-Some bb creams collect in the pores and on the tiny peach fuzz between my eyes. This one really smooths out my pores and doesn't collect as much as others have in fine hairs.
-Like most BB creams, I found matching my color somewhat difficult. However, I do find that less is more with this product. I am far happier with the color match when I use the least amount of product possible.

Cons
-Expensive, but this is going to last your for-ever because you need so little of it.
-If you have oily skin, you may not be stoked with this product. I'm combo leaning dry and I get shiny in the T zone.
-The color selection is somewhat limited, I think. However, as I said above, using less is much better and gets the color match better.
-You have to blend, blend blend the heck out of this or you will see the product. Not really a con, just a note.

You are limited in selection to BB creams if you only buy cruelty free. However, you now have access to the best one out there, in my opinion, with this new Iredale BB.