Lipstick Queen Medieval

4.3

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

I saw this lipstick on QVC and I couldn't stop watching- I had to have a sheer red that WORKS. I've been on the hunt for a sheer my-lips-but-better color to have in my purse at all times, and Medieval is my SAVIOR. It is smooth and creamy, and delivers just the right amount of color. If I could only own one lipstick (horrors!), this would be the one. One coat gives you a bit of color, two gives your lips some shine and color, three coats and POP! Your lips are cherry red and your whole face brightens! I can already tell you I will need another of these, one to keep with my makeup and one for the purse. Me LOVEY!

Great sheer red and is buildable too. I am afraid of red lipsticks since I am pale with dark hair. They tend to make me look too clowny or too vampire. This one is sheer and 1 coat looks like a natural but rosier lip or several coats can look more intense. It wears well and is moisturizing. Like the reviewer below, most reddish tints or stains tend to go pink or me or wear unevenly but this wears nicely and can work for every day. The price is a bit high but the quality is great. The only comparable color and moisturizing wear I have found is Korres Wild Rose lip butter but you have to get your fingers dirty with that one since it is in a pot. I like the lipstick packaging of this tint since it is easier to carry and more sanitary. Great color for us pale girls who are chicken sh*t when it comes to a red lippie:)

Would I buy this again? Hell yes! This is exactly what I've been looking for in terms of color. I use it over Chanel Aqua Rouge Crayon in Rouge for perfect red lips. Unfortunately, it doesn't last as long as I'd like, but as it wears off, the stain left behind is beautiful - quite pleased overall. Now to find the sinner/saint version. (I can tell you right now, it isn't Red Sinner - hello clowny mcclown mouth.)

For reference, Med Asian skin (really med, that will turn blue/reds fuscia and make brown/reds look dead) black hair, brwn eyes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was excited to try this so I'm really disappointed that Medieval didn't work for me. It went kind of orangey and didn't look bitten or flushed at all. It seemed moisturizing but had a greasy feel I didn't like. I'm still giving it three lippies because it seems like a quality product that was just wrong for me.

IMO, $25 (with shipping) is way too much for anything less than a HG . I'll stick with my $1.00 N.Y.C. Sheer Red.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Alert! Alert! I am going to declare something my first ever HG lip product! This stuff is awesome! For reference I am a neutral leaning NC20 with dark brown hair.

Pros
Awesomely moisturising, doesn't dry lips out at all. I think this is the only lipstick I have used that isn't drying.
Gorgeous glossy finish.
The colour is awesome- it looks a frightening blood red in the tube, but goes on a sheer wash of berry beautiful red.
Colour and finish combined make this much more than just a tinted lip balm.

Cons
Hmmm... Struggling to think of any. Its quite expensive- 19.50 from Space NK, however UK based Ebay seller Maptasy is selling them for 14.99 including P&P. They have a make me an offer bit and I managed to get mine delivered for 11 (a bid of 10.50 was rejected).

Generally I don't like wearing lipstick or gloss during the day so I was delighted to find a tinted lip moisturiser. Medieval is super-moisturising - perfect for these cold winter days when my lips dry out so easily - and tinted a gorgeous red. I have brown/black hair, green eyes and very fair skin and Medieval looks amazing on me. There's nowhere near as much pigment as in lipstick but there's enough colour to get me noticed and make me feel lovely. I feel super-confident wearing this during the day and have no idea how I lived without it.

I don't know why so many people are saying this is just a coloured lipbalm! It is fairly sheer, but it has far more pigment than any lip balm I've ever seen and isn't really as moisturising as one.

Price and packaging: I bought this for 19.50 from SpaceNK (I live in England but the product is the same.) This is very expensive for a lipstick, but I truly think it's the best out there that I've found. The packaging is very nice too, plastic holding it onto a card with the Biblical scene of Eve and the apple tree printed on it, but upside down. This symbolizes how upside down our world has become. Each element of the picture symbolizes something, which you can see on http://www.lipstickqueen.com/product_frame.htm It adds a bit of unusualness to the lipstick! As to the casing of the actual product, it is a shiny metal casing that is very durable and feels satisfyingly heavy to hold. It certainly won't get broken or scratched in your makeup bag. Lipstick Queen in gold letters is on the lid, and on the bottom is a little sticker that gives the name, the weight, the brand and an identifying number stamped on.

Scent and appearance:

Amazingly, this has no scent whatsoever. Amazing! If you like a scent in a lipstick, that's fine, but scent is a very personal thing and what one person likes,another will hate. Lipstick Queen has done the sensible thing here I think. As to appearance, it's a standard bullet shape.

How to use and my opinion:

I always pop on a little balm (Lush Lip Service) before any lipstick, but the one time I tried it without it went on perfectly. This is how I do all my lipstick:

1) Apply balm.

2) Apply layer of lipstick. Blot with cotton pad.

3) Apply another layer. Blot with cotton pad.

4) Apply coating of Lipcote (keeps lipstick on)

And done! This stays on all day as far as I've noticed. If it does wear off, it does so all over, and doesn't leave a ring around my lips.This is definitely my go-to l/s of a morning. It adds colour to my pale skin, and I usually wear it with a dusting of blusher and powder and a neutral brown eye. Great for work or school.If it ever runs out, I will buy again immediately. An HG I think!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I honestly don't know how i lived without this. Before I bought Medieval I would either chapstick for moisturizing or lipstick for color, but there was never a middle ground. Sometimes I wanted more color than what chapstick offered, but didnt want the uncomfortable waxy feeling of wearing too much lipstick. When my best friend makeupjunkie90 dragged me too Henri Bendel and I tried the Lipstick Queen line for the first time I knew Ihad to have it on the spot . The packaging is great, and it comes in a little plastic case with cute little painted background. The smell is not too strong either, and I actually like it. The texture is creamy,not waxy, and the coverage is super buildable. I find that its a great winter/fall color. No wonder they call it the "sexy chapstick."

Finally, a wonderful natural sheer red balm for very pale women. I'm NW15, and all these so called stains and sheers did nothing for me. Either they applied unevenly, made me look blotchy/ill, or dried down to a hot pink, or left a red/pink ring around the lipline when wearing off. I've tried Benetint in liquid and balm form, Nars, Laura Mercier, The Balm, Lorac, Vincent Longo - basically everyone who came out with something claiming to make a sheer 'just bitten' lip sheer/stain (I don't count Clinique Black Honey, which I consider more of a real lipstick as it has a lot more pigment and is actually quite dark, or Shiseido Honey Tea, while quite sheer for a lipstick, is still a proper lipstick rather than a barely there wash of colour). I was shy of buying this for a long time, but Lipstick Queen does seem to have a great rep for lip products (I've not tried any of her stuff before), so I bought it on ebay. This is a terrific product. It applies evenly and sheer but builds up if you want it to. The colour in the tube is blood red, but applies on me as a perfect natural rosy red. It feels like a balm and is quite moistuirising (doesn't dry out my lips and there is no need to top it up with proper lip or gloss to get the desired effect). I guess it is in effect a glorified Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker, but I don't really care. It's a Lip Smacker with all the adult colour benefits you wanted.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Yes, it's a beautiful color and almost universal, or as near to it as anything I've encountered. Yes, the packaging is a delight. But...yes, it's a glorified $20 USD lip balm. And it feathers like crazy.

The product itself is quite soft, as lippies go, and it wears down quickly on application. It's not long-lasting on the lips, so that's repeated applications during the day. For less money I'd accept that, but not at this price and certainly not with add-to-the-cost packaging that gets thrown away. I'm glad I tried it, but once is enough for me.