Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 10/19/2017 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As I've found with all Aphogee products they are outstanding! This along with their other products have brought my dry over processed hair back to life. Have used this twice now and can't say enough good about it. Price is very affordable and results are fantastic. I will never use anything but Aphogee products on my hair from now on!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Aphogee Protein Treatment (white bottle), not the Balancing Conditioner (purple). For the record I dont have damaged hair or bleached hair, so I cant say how this works on those types of hair. However I've been doing Curly Girl method and people at nc.com recommend to do a protein treatment, since my hair so baby fine, it cant hold a curl without hard hold gel. Before getting Aphogee, Ive been doing a diy protein treatment at home using gelatin (knox brand). I just mix a tbsp with 1 cup water, a bit of apple cider vinegar and put it in my hair. So far Ive been curious how gelatin compares to actual protein treatment since its kinda sketchy putting jello on your hair and expecting any benefit at all. Now that Ive tried both, at least in my hair and experience, gelatin and Aphogee has the same effect on me. I do like Aphogee more because it gave my hair ringlets and less frizz. Application wise, theyre the same. They both make hair hard when dry. I use heat from my blow dryer, rinse it off and then use a conditioner. I dont need to use heavy conditioner afterwards, but thats just my hair. So if you dont have terribly damaged hair, or also wanting to only maintain curly hair, just get yourself a box of Knox or bovine gelatin. There are a lot of gelatin hair treatment recipes where you can mix it with aloe or honey to make it more beneficial for your hair.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My hair for reference: many years of red, black and brown boxed hair color. Past my shoulders length. Fine, 2b waves (that I usually blow dry and straighten). I bleached my own hair from a level 2/3 to a level 10 platinum/white blonde. My hair color/tone looks great. But obviously with bleach there will be some damage.

This has been HG status for me for years.

After bleaching and toning my hair last time, I went and got 2" cut off. Then I used this 2 step treatment and my hair looks and feels completely healthy. I get compliments on my hair all the time because it's in such good shape. My hair feels like virgin hair, that's how great this stuff is for *my* hair.

It is really very simple to use. I don't think it smells that bad, I've had way worse smelling chemicals on my hair. I always just buy the 1 time use package of this. Wash my hair with a purple shampoo, comb, pour in a spray bottle and spray it all over, comb through, use my hair dryer until it gets stiff and rinse it out. It doesn't get so rock hard that your hair is going to accidentally shatter like glass. I think a lot of ppl are scared that will happen.

I use the accompanying conditioner with it, rinse that out then apply Shea Moisture deep conditioner for 5 mins, then a leave in and seal it with a few drops of pure/real argan oil. I'll either let it air dry or blow dry and straighten depending on my mood and what I got going on that day.

Having bleached hair you lose a lot of protein and moisture. Bleached hair also has a hard time *keeping* moisture in your hair. The cuticle is blow open so It basically evaporates. Your hair also needs protein to help retain moisture. So you have to keep the protein/moisture balance good in order to have healthy hair.

Don't be afraid to use it! Especially for bleached or damaged hair. Their 2 minute reconstructor is also good (It does contain silicones in it if that's something your wanting to avoid), but the 2 step is much stronger (and has no silicones) and it lasts far longer in my hair.

It is very sticky though. Also note that if your wearing a shirt and your hair is long, once this dries your not going to want to pull your shirt off over your head because it'll bend your hair. Once I forgot and had to get into the shower with my t-shirt on to rinse out my hair lol.

Edit 9/17/17: It's been almost a month since I last used this. I can tell my hair needs it again because it's feeling dry - remember low protein in your hair means moisture has nothing to hold on to. So for my hair I need to use this once a month. That's a pretty long time for one product. And I've been washing, blow drying and flat ironing my hair every other day and it's still in good condition.

on 9/21/2017 6:45:00 PM

I purchased this product from the reviews on this board...boy am I glad I did! My hair is over processed blonde, and I do still heat style. It was just dry and fuzzy and awful.

I needed to refresh my color so got this product, did as directed and the following day did my color. My hair has totally changed! It is soft, shiny, healthy bouncy perfect.

Doubt I'll ever use anything else going forward to keep my hair in top shape

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Wow wow wow. I just did it today for the first time in my life. This thing is a hair salvation. It's amazing. I don't even have words to describe how good this is. I have blond heavely highlighted hair, overprocessed as f*ck. It's not mushy, it's dry and brittle and it tangles a lot and after it tangles I have to untagle it and then it breaks off. So if you have hair like mine and you do your online research you will probably think that your hair doesn't need protein. You will be scared to use this on your hair. You will probably think that you will end up with protein overload and that your hair will fall out, snap out. At least I was, for a long time. Well guess what, there is no such thing as protein overload there is only lack of moisture. Every dyed or bleached or thermicaly abused hair is more or less damaged hair and every damaged hair needs protein. Then after you use this magical protein following the aphogee instructions you will use the matching balancing moisturizer and your hair will be balanced and silky and healthy as never before. So don't be scared, go ahead and use it. At least I will be every 4 weeks for the rest of my blonde life........

on 8/24/2017 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Regrettably, I tried out a new stylist to upkeep the blonde bayalage/highlights I had for the past 2 years. After a mess of a hurricane, my hair was damaged, mushy, gummy, weak, and falling out in CHUNKS.

I had lost all hope and then remembered about this product that I had used years ago.

BEST THING EVER. Step 1: leave in the treatment and gently low blow dry on heat.
DO NOT AGITATE YOUR HAIR!

Step 2: Once its hardened, gently and thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water and apply the conditioner.

MAGIC! Your hair will miraculously go back to normal health! Remember, it's not magic, however, this is the best, fastest, most convenient and inexpensive way to reverse severe damage!!

ALSO: the Keratin & Green tea spray from aphogee does wonders!

I bought a one time use sample of this treatment a few years ago, but procrastinated actually using it because the steps seemed so drawn out, and I was freaked out by the idea of my hair breaking off. I dye my own hair from medium brown to blonde, and my ends can get very parched and visibly damaged. Recently it was getting so bad that I decided to take the plunge.

The steps were less annoying and the process was less time consuming than I expected. I will recommend that when you apply the protein treatment, don't let your hair lay down your back while it dries. My hair was down my back and as it hardened and stuck to my skin, I could feel each little movement I made was tugging on the hair.

I won't go into more details about the steps because others have written much more detailed and knowledgeable how-tos, and I pretty much followed their steps and advice to a tee.

The results: initially I really thought the treatment didn't make any difference. I typically smother my hair with cones in order to look presentable, and so it's not until the second or third day after washing, blow drying, and applying the products that conceal the damage, that my hair begins to show its true, strawlike nature. It was around then on the second or third day that I noticed this *did* make a difference, my hair looked less damaged than usual, the ends looked more smooth and healthy.

That said, the results of this treatment were nowhere near as amazing as I expected from reading the reviews. It improved the damage, yes, but I'm not entirely sure I think it's worth the time, effort, and risk of breaking off your hair if you do the steps wrong. I'm not sure if the effects of this treatment are cumulative, but I do plan to buy another sample and test this out again soon to see if the results are better. I'll update my review if things change.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Updated Jul 22: I've used it 3 times by now (every 6 weeks) and I swear by it. Still, I think I must use it less frequently in the future. Over the time when I used it I did highlights once. The ends of my hair have very minor breakage (usually it's major after coloring services). It's way thicker. I don't remember my hair being so thick for past 8 years. My hair feels very strong now before I could easily pull it apart and break. I think I've got enough protein now and will continue this treatment every two-three months.
In the mean time, I've also tried Olaplex that's made my hair look like a messy swab... For me Aphogee only!

Original review:
This treatment is awesome!
I have wavy sway 2A type highlighted hair. I color with Aveda every 4 months and I cut my hair ones a year (trying to grow them longer). I don't have serious damage, but I start losing a curl pattern and wasn't happy about very ends of my hair (last time I had color and cut 2.5 months ago) so I decided to give Aphogee a try.
I didn't use their shampoo, I used mine. Towel dried my hair, brushed them with a wide tooth comb, and applied treatment. The treatment didn't go on my clothes despite warnings of other reviewers. And it doesn't smell that bad. I already had much worse smelling things being applied on my hair by professionals.
I went with the concept 'less is more', divided my hair into two parts (left and right), put a bit of treatment in my palm, and distribute it on hair. Repeated several times, combed one side. Did the same thing on another side.
No matter how much product I was adding my hair didn't become dry or un-brushable.
After I finish I gently dried it with my regular hairdryer on low settings. My hair didn't become rock hair, just stiff.
Once treatment completely dried I rinsed it off, applied moisturizer, combed hair again and waited for about 15 minutes before to rinse moisturizer (it's written to wait two minutes, but I've decided that more is more in this case).
I let my hair air dry and I immediately noticed that I have way less frizz and much more waves. They also became much softer.
Since then I've washed my hair couple of times. The magic of this treatment for me is that I can let my hair air dry and it looks great. No frizz!!! The only think I'm using now as a styling product is a shine spray. Nothing else! I do not waste my time on blowdrying my hair and I get compliments on how do they look. Awesome stuff!

on 4/14/2017 9:29:00 PM

This is great I just used it on my hair that was Virginia until I coloured and bleached and saw breakage starting the result is silky healthy looking hair. However I used it before on very damaged overbleached hair and that time it caused half my hair to break off close to the roots so I wouldn't suggest it for fragile damaged hair but healthier damaged hair yes!

on 6/9/2017 9:00:00 AM

I have extremely fine, blonde, naturally straight hair. After 2 bad bleaching experiences my hair got very brittle and snapped off, leaving my hair looking horrendous. I have a weave thankfully so it was well hidden. I have used every hair mask and leave in conditioner under the sun. My hair was limp and lifeless and I couldn't style it in any way. I have only used this product once, however I have noticed a difference strajght away, its much stronger. When my hair is wet it is now smooth and soft, before it was so brittle and knotted I got barely get a. brush through it, texture of my hair totally changed for the better after using this, definitley recommend.