Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

Deciem The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

3.7

on 12/1/2018 11:08:00 PM

I am glad I purchased this because it is helping with brightening and fading acne scars. I have been trying to improve my skincare by introducing actives, and I heard that this is a good OTC azelaic acid product, so when I saw it on Beautybay.com, I snatched it up. I have heard from other reviewers that this formulation is thick and doesn`t spread easily on the skin, but personally, I haven`t had that problem. I don`t really use tons of it, just a tiny dollop from which I apply small pin tip portions all over my face, followed with a massage. I use it every other night right after applying Niacinamide (from the same brand), and so far I haven`t experienced any adverse reactions. I alternate my Niacinamide+Azelaic Acid with Niacinamide/Differin at night. In the mornings I use Resveratrol/Ferulic Acid mixed with Vitamin C daily. This routine was introduced slowly, because it can be irritating, and now this is working fine with no breakouts or irritation, so I am doing it on an every day basis. I have already repurchased back-ups of this acid.

on 11/15/2018 11:13:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

MY ROSACEA: I'm 45 and have had rosacea for 25 years. It's been getting worse since I hit my 40s. On top of redness on my cheeks, nose and chin, I developed little bumps, pustules and almost every pore near my nose and chin were enlarged, angry and red. In the winter I get small dry red plaques on my cheeks. I don't flush unless I try new products, drink alcohol or go outside in strong winter winds.

It was getting more difficult to cover my rosacea with makeup as my oily T zone developed a top layer of rough broken skin that my foundation accentuated. Last month I bought a bunch of new things to try base on reviews here and on YouTube.

I never write reviews, because most products never help, at best they just didn't make things worse. I've seen such improvements in the last month I had to come here and share.

WHAT I TRIED SO FAR - PM routine:

Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid - 1 month
Ordinary Rosehip Oil - 1 month
Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA - 1 week
Ordinary Azelaic Acid - 1 week

RESULTS SO FAR:
I can't believe it, after 1 month the texture of my skin is the best since I was a teenager. It is smooth and hydrated and this is happening as the temperatures have dropped to winter levels!!! The bumps are reduced by 80%, my redness by at least 60% and my pores have shrunk and are no longer irritated. All of this for less than $30 CND. I noticed improvements as I introduced each new products, so it's not just one thing working, it seems to be the combo.

AZELAIC ACID:
I find it's best to gently tap this on last after applying a moisterizer. It's quite drying otherwise. I just tap a thin layer into my red areas each night. The other products helped with the bumps, but this has sped up the process.

on 10/26/2018 12:16:00 PM

Really like this product - helps to brighten my skin tone. I am oily and have mini breakouts regularly - I find this really helps to heal my breakouts and even out my skin tone. I think to get the full benefit it is important to ensure you exfoliate your skin regularly (in combination with a regular cleanse, tone and moisturise regime) otherwise it won’t make much difference to dead skin cells. For the price, it’s a good pick me up for the skin.

on 10/12/2018 9:11:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I use several Deciem products but this is one of my absolute favourites. It goes on so easily, never greasy or rubbery. Just a smooth, soothing cream / serum that goes on beautifully over my Matrixyl and under my daily SPF. I really hope the recent news of Deciem closing shop isn’t true.

Was pleasantly surprised by how amazing this product is!! It feels incredible on the skin, smoothes it out beautifully once applied, leaving a finish similar, if not better, than most actual primers I've tried (and believe me, I've tried many!) - even though it's advertized as a serum only!
The finish is matte, but since I wear it underneath a moisturizer, that's not an issue for me.
Thank you, The Ordinary, for being so original (azelaic acid!) in a product formulation, straightforward as to offer products that give our skin substances it truly loves (because this is just one example!), and let alone, for being so affordable!
Couldn't recommend your brand more!

on 9/30/2018 9:06:00 AM

It is an exceptionally elegant medical grade Azelaic Acid formula for an excellent price.

Comparing it to Finacea (15% Azelaic Acid) and Skinoren (20% Azelaic Acid), it is definitely a winner when it comes to finish on the skin and mildness while delivering the same results without the excessive irritation that a higher concentration Azelaic Acid product could do.

Where Deciem did a good job is selecting very mild emollients (Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone) and leaving out glycols in all forms creating a superior product that is non-penetrating and mild and will deliver the Azelaic Acid also in a more time-release manner: slower, over time. This will also provide a longer lasting effect on the skin.

The inclusion of silicone raw-materials (Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer and Polysilicone-11) will also aid the time-release delivery and will provide elegance to the product.

Azelaic Acid will aid the healing of inflammation and also counteract acne (and rosacea). It is an alpha-hydroxy acid that is naturally found in corn having excellent exfoliating, anti-inflammatory and strong anti-oxidant properties when applied topically.

The formula from The Ordinary does deliver both on clearing acne and also hyper-pigmentation.

What I miss is a bit more fluidity that would aid an easier application providing more slip.

I would recommend using the product only if you have problems with acne or rosacea. Starting applying it sparingly twice a week to begin with and increasing application to once (or even twice) a day. Apply always on clean and dry skin and only the smallest amount. This formula is easily absorbed and allows the application of a moisturizer immediately.
I did not experience problems in the form of balling/pilling after application of other products.

In case of sever acne, it can be combined with retinol/tretinoin at night and Azelaic Acid in the morning. You should be well accustomed to both actives before using them simultaneously! The irritation potential of using them in combination is increased several folds.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone, Azelaic Acid, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polysilicone-11, Isohexadecane, Tocopherol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Isoceteth-20, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 9/5/2018 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

Love love love azelaid acid! It's very comfortable going on and leaves a smooth, matte finish like a primer for foundation. It's gentle, yet works well to reduce acne and textures on your skin. A keeper.

on 6/6/2018 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combination/dehydrated with hormonal and sometimes stress-related acne that I have a hard time not picking at.

Now, to preface, I'm not sure exactly what combination of products I'm using is actually doing the work at the moment. I have an idea, of course, but I think it's a combination. Either way, I haven't had skin this nice and clear since I got a severe infection, bordering on sepsis, a couple of years ago and was put on massive amounts of antibiotics. That cleared my skin completely for a while, but it was no fun and antibiotics are HARSH. For the last month or two, though, it's been consistently almost that good, without the side effects.

I think this gem of a product, in combination with a few other things, is what does the magic. All the other products I use have been in my rotation at least slightly longer, but I also feel that a few of them help my skin deal with this product much better, so they're important.

Cleanser: MAC Cleanse Off Oil, sometimes followed with or occasionally alternated with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar hydrating cleanser.
Toner: a generic pharmacy brand hydrating glycerin toner, important, but any will do.
Treatment: Wooden Spoon Troubled Skin Serum, a combination of tamanu oil and marula oil with a few essential oils that helps calm down irritation and helps my skin heal faster, I find. This makes a big difference, without it my skin becomes a little irritated by the azelaic acid product.
Treatment: this, after the oil.
Moisturizer: Avene Skin Recovery Cream.
When needed: Cosrx Pimple Master Patches.

In the morning I just wipe my face with hydrating toner on a cotton pad, spray on some more toner, apply sunscreen (Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sunblock, that one also makes a difference, it seems chemical sunscreen breaks me out a little) and then do my make-up.

I use this most nights, and my skin mostly tolerates it, especially when used with an oil or a moisturiser as a buffer, so to speak. Every now and then I need to give my skin a break, though, and just use very mild, bland products - once or twice a week or every other week, perhaps.

So. Would I recommend this? Yes. It has significantly reduced my hormonal acne. Would I repurchase? Already have. Azelaic acid really works for my skin, it seems.

on 5/23/2018 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

For reference I have combo normal to dry skin, with an oily nose. I suffer from papulopustular rosacea on both cheeks that I self manage.

This is a lightweight silicone based lotion that applies and absorbs quickly. I use this with the Hylamide Sensitive Skin serum and have found that with religious use every day (no skipping!) unless I directly do things that cause flare ups (be outside in full sun for extended periods) my skin will not have any inflamed pustules. I still have slight texture problems (bumps) but they never get out of control. In the winter my skin has been looking the best it has ever looked without taking drugs.
On a side note, if I just use the Azelaic acid without the serum, I find the texture of my skin feels a bit rougher - the bumps feel a bit more pronounced but still not fully inflamed or showing signs of fluid. If I don't use the acid, and the serum only the skin texture feel smoother and not not as rough, but bumps sometimes show inflammation. I think it's definitely the combination of the two that work for me.

I’m in complete skin heaven! This is a miracle. My skin was breaking out, had red acne scars, and an uneven skin tone. In two weeks, my skin is absolutely amazing from Azelaic acid. The Ordinary does a great job with this product. My skin handles nothing well and I am stunned. I keep looking in the mirror. I finally understand the term brightening. My acne has disappeared and the redness is fifty percent gone. I use a ten step Korean skin care routine. Son and Park Beauty Water and this product are my holy grails. I use a hydrating essence and moisturizer after using The Ordinary. I’m beyond grateful and happy. Try it!