Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka

Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka
Lolita Lempicka ad

3.8

on 1/16/2012 9:26:00 AM

One of my favourite scents, made by one of my favourite perfumers. Annick Menardo's Lolita Lempicka eau de parfum is a work of art. The 1990s saw a gourmand boom, hot to cash in on the success of Mugler's Angel. Lolita Lempicka rode that wave, but with originality not found in many gourmands made then and since.

The other main gourmand violet that moves me is Ropion's original Aimez-Moi. They're both zingy, feisty perfumes -- but the original Caron brings to mind crisp autumn days in England or ice cold Hitchcock blondes like Eva Marie Saint and Tippi Hedren.
Lolita Lempicka smoulders -- sweet, rich and darkly sexy. She's Ingrid Bergman in Notorious or Spellbound, or the unhinged beauty played by Marion Cotillard in Inception. Yes, she is definitely Cotillard in 'that' dress, and Cotillard threatening to...jump...

Grown-ups with a fondness for a fairytale or gothic aesthetic will fall in love with the wonderful bottle -- Eve's apple -- purple and gold, with deliciously curly script and curved stem. The design goes well with the super-candied-and-spiced violet-anise. There's a herbal quality to the top of the scent which makes me consider an absinthe note, but it's not exactly absinthe. The patchouli is sweet but ever so slightly 'vetivered'. There's a dance of hot and cool -- I suspect it's the way the anise-violet-iris accord is so expertly handled. Ropion too does the cool-warm thing well in Aimez-Moi but, as I said before, those anise-soaked violets are in the sun, Menardo's are in the shade, maybe even half-buried in the dirt. I get a little cherry sometimes, if I'm lucky -- but this note is better felt in a LE Amarena version of the scent, released years ago.

The perfumer is one of a few who can take a tooth-achingly sweet gourmand base-scent and soften it with smoke or rubber (think Guerlain Bois D'Armenie, think Bulgari Black) and there's smoke here too, snaking its way right through the heart of Lolita-L, getting lost in a haze of heliotrope, getting hopelessly tangled in liquorice whips and lost in a thin mist of powdered sugar.

The way the name trips off the tongue -- Lolita Lempicka -- fabulous. What is that Nabokov quote? "...Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

Full marks for everything. Think: wild glamour, lost souls, chaotic love and dangerous beauty. Wow, just - wow.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I first bought this about 6 years ago at saks on michigan ave Chicago. I tried it there as it was right next to the lamer area. I was with my elderly mom who said that it smelled like the perfume she wore on her wedding day in 1941, midnight in Paris. I didn't give that much thought, but I bought the fragrance that day. Wasn't really hooked on it. The other day I put some on from that original bottle from saks 6 yrs ago; my mom has Alzheimer's and when I went to see her in the care center , she said oh my you smell like midnight in Paris.. Now she is hit and miss remembering me, but still knew that scent. So I have worn it daily since the other day and have had like 5 men tell me I smelled amazing. I now ordered the other parts of the collection of the original Lolita lempicka. I was looking up the perfume and designer and am even more in love with it as the gals name is almost like mine and has polish roots to its naming of Lolita lempicka. I can't wait to get the cream and shower cream and deoderant. I'm 52 and it took this many years to settle on a signature scent. The dry down fades to a musky sweet scent, kinda powdery but very feminine. Sultry, kinda dark n mysterious.

on 1/18/2011 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I stopped wearing perfume LONG ago....but after receiving a sample of this with my sephora order, I am in love. I will go and buy the full size bottle. At first I thought maybe I wouldn't spring for the full size because the only thing I don't like about it is the powdery smell in it...but...it really does mesmerize me and I can't resist the smell...I find myself wanting to wear it even if I am staying home...just so I can smell myself....I haven't asked myself out on a date yet but I'm considering it.

on 9/26/2008 11:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I love everything about this fragrance! This smells changes throughout the day on me and it just gets more beautiful as it changes. It starts off delicately sweet and powdery,a smell which is so unique and inviting. The drydown is my favorite. It smells like wet leaves and rich soil which might sound unappealing but it is actually so feminine and subtle. I have to put my nose to my wrist to smell the earthyness. I definitely love the aniseed as well. The bottle is so gorgeous, it reminds me of something Snow White would have on her dresser. Very fairytale. Also the staying power is excellent but it can be a bit overpowering if you spray too much. A very feminine and unique fragrance. Love it!

Ah, Lolita Lempicka, I love you so. Everything about this perfume is perfect. The packaging is amazing- the juice is even more amazing. I started wearing this perfume when I was about 15, and it's been my signature ever since. I sampled it first from a Lolita Lempicka ad in my mom's Vanity Fair. The ad is what drew me in- a sultry dryad reclining on a tree. Just gorgeous. Something about this perfume is very Tim Burtonesque. It's whimsical and fairy tale-like, but sinister at the same time. It smells sweet and sharp all at once- very dichotomous. I'll quit gushing, LL is so sumptuous- please try it.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm a guy, and I wear this scent. I love-love-love the hint of licorice. It's complex and long-lasting (on me, anyway, I first use a bit of lotion, then put a spray down my T-shirt and on my inner elbow before putting on the long-sleeve dress shirt.)

It lasts a long time without turning me into a sillage monster at the office. Highly recommended for both genders.

on 6/28/2008 7:10:00 PM

I have recently started wearing L de Lolita (I alternate with Pink Sugar, yeah I like the sweet scents!) so I was very interested to see what this was like. The inital application is very green (ivy?) and then the anise/sugar note drifts in. This is an intriguing fragrance, it reminds me of when I got to try absinthe at a party. The licorice/herbal liquor was mixed with water poured over a sugar cube and that's what this scent makes me remember. When I wear this, I feel as if I'm in a garden drinking absinthe. For me, this is a dark romantic perfume, like something Anne Rice's vampires might wear, so I will use this as a night scent, but definitely a wonderful way to get in a decadent mood!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

The first time I sniffed this, a few years back, I thought it was strange and unusual, and put the scent strip from Nordstrom in my purse. After a day or so I kept smelling this great scent wafting up, and I tried to find it and I later discovered it was the scent strip that had gotten lodged in one of the inner pockets of my purse. It is a gourmand, sweet, and a very striking one. It has several standout notes that make it so you'll probably either love it or hate it. My husband said (upon the first time I wore it around him) that I smelled like sweet crayons. I think it smells like a fall carnival nearby a wood, magical, sweet, crisp, with earthy and green notes. The base very noticeably contains vetiver; you also cannot miss the licorice, anise seed, almond, and ivy notes in this as well. The standout floral here is violet, mixed with iris. The tonka bean/almond/vanilla/heliotrope in the base make this a very sweet, powdery oriental scent.

Here is the complete list of notes:
Top: Anise seed, licorice, violet
Middle: Ivy, amarena heart (small almond-scented cherry), iris
Base: Tonka bean, almond, vanilla, heliotrope, musk, vetiver

on 9/17/2013 11:22:00 PM

This is my HG fragrance. I first encountered this years ago in a magazine as a paper strip sample. I was enchanted by the advertisement itself, and once I got a whiff of the scent I had to have it. I do not like licorice. So I was surprised how much I LOVE this fragrance. It's spicy, warm, sweet, woodsy and food-y all at the same time. It melts into my skin and works perfectly with my body chemistry. I love it so much I apply throughout the day and often find myself smelling my own arm...lol! I have tried other fragrances, and had some favorites (Juicy Couture, Viva La Juicy, VS Very Sexy for Her) but NOTHING compares to Lolita Lempicka. I feel the urge to stockpile this so I will never be without! The only time I have ever smelled it anywhere else was a trip to the D.C. zoo years ago, I caught a whiff from the lady in front of me and recognized it immediately. I was wearing a different scent at the time, and I just wanted to follow her around so I could smell it! Money is tight, I do wish I could find a dupe because I'm surviving off sample vials and travel-size bottles...I know they make one but I supposed I'm a snob...can't bring myself to try it. Love, love, love this perfume!

The notes: ivy leaves, licorice flower, anise seed, amarena cherry, violets, iris, vanilla, praline, tonka bean, vetiver and musk according to online research.

on 4/3/2012 2:18:00 PM

I feel compelled to post here because a coworker of mine wears this fragrance. It literally makes me sick for an hour or two every afternoon after she sprays it in her office. It is so unbelievably nauseating and overwhelming. Instant headache. Instant misery. If you are a fan of this, please be careful when and where you spray it... I'd have a hard time thinking of any perfume I loathe and fear more than this one.

Popular Fragrances