e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 8/19/2018 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I don't use much powder on my face, dry/sensitive skin. Recently I saw a tip online (Wayne Goss) recommending using no-color powder to enhance blending of eyeshadow. I already had this (Sheer) so gave it a whirl, and it works great! I usually apply just a bit of this over my eye primer (Ulta Nude Matte) just in the crease area (not on lid or under brows), then matte shadow over it in the crease. Keeps the shadow from grabbing and helps it blend more smoothly/evenly. Goss also states this can be used over problem shadows, and that it can help moderate shimmer. (He uses the RCMA powder.)

The best part is it doesn't affect the color of the shadow placed over (or under) it, unlike a base eyeshadow. My lippie rating is for this specific use, I haven't tried this on my face, I don't need a mattifier.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

The powder is completely transparent on your skin and does a great job of mattifying and blurring. It doesn't get any better than this!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The packaging with its small holes makes a huge mess. I do like the softness of the powder but do find it leaves a white cast on my skin. Decent oil control.

on 1/17/2018 11:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I do like this powder because it’s lightweight and helps hide my pores. I have very dry skin so I used the NYX hydrating setting spray afterwards. I don’t know if that helps or makes this powder null but i love how I looked at work all day so I will be using this in conjunction with the hydrating primer and NYX Hydrating setting spray. For the price of their products I have nothing to lose. I will recommend this to my friends and buy again. Forgot to mention I didn’t use that puff it came with I actually used a smaller brush and buffed it around my face.

on 1/13/2018 1:39:00 PM

THIS IS NOT THE SAME FORMULA THE INGREDIENTS ARE DIFFERENT. Why ELF did you change the formula? I loved this powder with the old formula. Do not buy the new formula it doesn't blend into the skin and is chalky. Leaves white patches on my face. PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD FORMULA. Trying to find the old formula online. :(

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

on 10/13/2017 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Very mattifying and does help makeup last longer, but very drying, cakey looking and messy to use. Highlights dry patches. Didn't work for me at all! Not one for dry skin. Maybe better for oily skin

on 8/23/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't know if it's me but I always end up with cakey makeup with this loose powder. The powder is not fine enough and makes it harder for me to buff out. Overall its okay but I think there are better alternatives like Milani Loose Translucent Powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Okay you guys asked and they delivered - I was just at the drugstore looking to get this and they repackaged it!

It's no longer in the big black square container. It's a smaller, round container with a clear bottom (where the powder is) so you can see how much you have left. It has a one-sided sifter so less product will come out AND a circular slider on the sifter so you can close it off completely if you wanted. Comes with a puff that fits neatly over the new sifter contraption. On the inside of the lid, it says "pour product here" and the product comes out very neatly this way. Overall, I think they successfully addressed the concerns everyone had with their old packaging. I do think you might get somewhat less product in total now, however.

The powder itself is awesome as a setting powder for the T-zone and undereyes. I find it minimizes creasing and really keeps oil at a minimum during the day. It also sits on the skin in a very flattering way, where it blurs pores and creates a veil over the skin. I haven't experienced any dryness or whitecast on my skin (NW20).