NYX Professional Makeup Luxurious Black Label Compact Powder

3.5

on 6/17/2010 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

For reference, I'm an NC 35-40 Filipina with combination, acne-prone skin. I currently have a TON of acne scars. I'm also peeling and flaking due to my Retin-A cream. Now on to the review. I have the shades Perfect Beige and Natural Beige. Both have yellow/olive undertones, Perfect Beige is darker than Natural Beige. Unlike the other reviewers, I actually bought these powder foundations at full price: $25 each. Yes, it's expensive, too expensive if you ask me, but someone needs to buy crap and review it, right? ;) NYX describes this as a multi-purpose product and I have to agree. It provides full coverage like your cream/liquid/stick foundations, if you choose to make this product your base. You can use it to set your foundation and/or blot throughout the day. And if you buff it well enough it can serve as a concealer on areas you want to conceal. The powder itself is smooth and finely milled and glides on easy with the sponge provided in the compact. There is much to be said with the packaging as well. On the outside it looks like any other awkwardly large compact, but the lid SWIVELS and ROTATES to a convenient stand up mirror (which is large by the way). It will definitely put a smile on your face. Excessive application of this product left my face too cakey and chalky. So use sparingly and if you have the type of face that gets oily quickly, avoid using this to blot because it will oxidize into an orange mess. With that being said, the lasting power of this powder on me is pretty nice. I start with a silicone-based primer and buff gently with a flat-top brush. If I need to touch-up, I blot my face with tissue to absorb excess oil and reapply the powder with a sponge. I can imagine this powder working GREAT on normal/dry skin types. I would repurchase this product again because it hasn't broken me out and the color match is nice. I'm currently mixing both shades because I'm transitioning to my summer skin. I definitely recommend if you have $25 in disposable income and want to try something new with an awesome package. Pictures will be uploaded soon.

on 12/21/2007 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I cannot get Luxurious Black Label Compact Powder in a walk in store. So I got this online. I tried 08 Soft Beige. I wanted to know what is the difference between the Twin Cake and this product. When I saw the product, it came in a paper box with lace designs on it. The package said "Lead FREE". Oh good, so I got my money worth?! Inside the box, there is a real lace pouch with nylon draw string. I opened the draw string and got the compact out. The compact has a weird, 360 degree folding case, that I can swing to the side and flip up and down. A magnetic is hidden on the compact to make it close.

Anyways. I tried the powder foundation and it gave more natural look compare to the cheaper Twin Cake (that is a more velvet finish). Did not see any powder hanging on my peach fuzz when I look at myself at different angles. The powder blended well. I wanted to like this but during the afternoon I noticed my chin area started to turn dark, I got the dark beard, which I did not get from the Twin Cake.

The powder was thick enough to cover my dark circles and red spots, but need more powder to cover old acne marks but can still see it. For the price of this I expected more oil control and more.