Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.1

on 7/22/2017 6:24:00 PM

This has all the class and elegance of an old school chypre. It is a trifle powdery, soft and subtle but it lasts ages on my skin. I don't get a massive rose presence which is supposed to be there. My skin amplifies creamy woods. It is warm and cuddly like a scented hug. May I never be without it. I have it and Joy but I reach for this more often.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

When I was 20, I was given a small bottle of the eau de parfum, and at the time, I thought it was a little too sexy for me. It's a very sophisticated and complicated scent, but I did love it on special occasions. I purchased the EDT from that time forward, because I found it not quite as sharp or distinct as the EDP, but still had the same complexity. Once I entered my 30s, I found I could wear it with jeans or sequins, and it became my signature scent, I just didn't feel like me, in anything else. I tried to use other fragrances over the years, but I've never found one that blended so well with my natural chemistry and just made me smell like me, only better. It dries back beautifully, without going too floral or too spicy, and reminds me of being in a wooded, slightly floral place. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I smell good, particularly the following day, when it continues to dry down. So many fragrances use synthetic ingredients that don't do well with my chemistry and smell stale or odd, even after a short period of time. This always smelled wonderful, always changing, always a little different, and always wonderful. Then in comes Proctor and Gamble and they destroyed it - way too watered down and way too floral. But the good news is, Jean Patou has set themselves free from the P&G relationship and they're making it in France again. It's just now coming back on the market, and it is so much better than what it's been over the last several years. Those who love the P&G version and have never tried the real deal....you are in for a treat. It's French, it's classic, and it's what perfume should be. This is not a fragrance where someone can name the fragrance you're wearing. Yet, it's complexity, nuance, and depth, is like no other. It's the perfect blend of woody, green, floral, and a touch of spice. And just like a fine wine, the longer you have it, the more beautiful it becomes - I have several little vials from years ago and they've only gotten better over time. To make sure you have the real stuff, just check the box for where it's made. It should say France, not UK. I order it from Parfumelle out of Texas, he always makes sure he has the freshest fragrances.

on 1/26/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here is a floral chypre, spun into rich gold, nothing too much or too little: there's a hint of honey and powder on muffled florals, its animal urges tamed. Chypres can be downright bizarre, as oakmoss can take on qualities of bitter green or thick dust by turns, but 1000 is only tastefully offbeat, it speaks quietly and politely, accented by old-money diction. All perfumes depend on an interplay of shifting notes over timemolecules with differing evaporation rateswhich the attentive nose may follow, like silent music1000 might be akin to Mozart's Figaro. A full ten years of painstaking (re)work, the craftsmanship is evident in every exquisite, complicated facet, and though the notes are somewhat unusual, nothing jars or snags at your senses. The first generic impressions include overripe apples, vaguely indolic jasmine, and patchouli clawing its way from a mossy base, but patience will tease out 1000's meticulous, expansive complexities: the bergamot top of the classic chypre is smoothed into a gentle effervescence, punctuated by green, aromatic angelica and icy eucalyptus, while the oakmoss bottom of the classic chypre, rounded out by vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, and civet, lends an earthy, quasi-masculine foundation for the grand, mellifluous floral heart.

Here, the classic floral patterns of bright, soaring rose, violet powder, and indolic jasmine, ever so costly and rare, do make their presence known, and indeed 1000 is ultimately intended to be a floral, and yet it is without the diamond-encrusted dazzle of its elder by Jean Patou, JOY, displaying instead a sense of discretion that is truly the quintessence of good taste. The complex chypre base provides an air of sobriety, and it is osmanthus, a flower of Chinese origin that has a green, apricot-y aroma, accented by nutty, herbaceous coriander, that takes up central position within that vast but subtle network. 1000 is not a customary floral by any means, but one that is creamy-smooth, mossy-dense, and honey-golden, not dark but full of subtle shadows. It is, like Le Smoking, an alluring combination of intrigue, refinement, and smirking self-confidence.

on 10/19/2008 5:01:00 PM

I am trying to love my new and extravagent purchase of the perfume. I was so in love with the body lotion- it would settle into one of the most provocative and unusual fragrances I've ever encountered and the ratings are based on my love of the lotion. For years I looked forward to treating myself with the perfume. The dry down has been disappointing, I should have stuck with what worked. Only now am I learning that every product in a fragrance line can have a different effect. No more expensive mistakes! Buying samples first. Oh-- I will probably wear the perfume tomorrow for a lunch date-- one more try.

on 2/16/2008 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Less loud than most 70s scents, this is still clearly in the older style of perfumery. Slightly ripe florals over a classic base with sandalwood, civet and patchouli, it smells like it cost a lot, but I'm not sure it smells like it was worth it. It smells dated. I have nothing against a perfume that doesn't smell like modern blah-mall perfumes, but this one is just so very...vintage. Vintage in an out-of-style way, not in a 1916 retro way. It's not bad, but I sure won't be wearing it out of the house. And as it dries down more completely, I'm starting to detect that flowers-gone-off scent some of the other reviewers noted. No, I don't agree with the enthusiasts: This is not a classy, timeless, sexy scent. It's shoulder pads in a red suit and hairspray helmet hair. Gotta go scrub. EDIT: Second try, years later. It's a leathery old style chypre floral. A tiny bit reminiscent of Arpege in the tarry aldehyde and apricot feeling. A little bit soapy in the green notes. Nice enough and def black tie, but still not my kind of thing at all.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Finally tried Jean Patou's 1000... It's bold, pretty and grounded. In my mind, 1000 conjures up pictures of an impeccably dressed woman in a Chanel suit, chauffeured around New York City to take care of business whether social or professional. This to me is a power fragrance -- pure and simple. Actually, I didn't expect to like 1000, but I reallydo. What a surprise...

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I wish I could type this in really tiny font. I think this is pretty, I think I could wear this often. I've wanted to gag after A La Nuit, less so from Carnal Flower... I didn't think much of Joy. But I really want a rich floral to love. Maybe its the Osmanthus, and I smell something green like coriander. This is special. The sillage is just right, not too aldeyhidey to bother my nose. I hope it doesn't smell too similar to other cheaper alternatives. I'd hate to fall in love and have to spend this much on a regular basis.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was immediately reminded of the great Mitsouko when trying 1000. I was at the mall (gack), looking for a new fragrance for my brother. I wandered past the Patou counter, where a smallish stock of fragrances had been relegated to a corner. Joy, EnJoy, and 1000. Since my only past experience with Patou had been Patou = Big Floral, I gave my wrist a glancing spritz out of sheer boredom. I went on to other fragrance endeavors, only stopping to sniff my wrist out of curiosity because death-by-bouquet had not yet hit me in the nose.

Whoa. What was this? Hints of my beloved Mitsouko? Not quite as dry or mossy, as others have mentioned, but definitely there. Flowers are there, too, but they don't scream at the top of their lungs. And what was that note wafting from the base? Something... carnal. Purely sexual, but neither male nor female. It doesn't smell like cumin (no scent of sweat). Whatever it is, this was wonderful, unique, dark-but-polished fragrance. This does not evoke the somewhat melancholy, remote emotion which I perceive from some of the Guerlain classics. This is an approachable fragrance, but it's very womanly and a bit dangerous. I must investigate further.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This must be one of the most wonderful perfumes ever made - delicious, warm, distingu, classy, a bit on the "heavy" side, and more interesting and alluring than Joy by far - I sometimes wear this to sleep at night, but if worn by day it makes me feel like a million dollars - smells expensive like no other perfume I know. Not really suited for the office - unless you are the boss of the enterprise yourself.

on 4/2/2003 10:47:00 AM

Class and sophistication in a
bottle. I can't speak for those whose chemistry doesn't agree with the fragrance, but for me, it is just wonderful. The scent is rose based, musky and intense. Not for the timid wallflower, this smells of eroticism and wealth.

Popular Fragrances