Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

3.5

on 7/22/2017 6:24:00 PM

This has all the class and elegance of an old school chypre. It is a trifle powdery, soft and subtle but it lasts ages on my skin. I don't get a massive rose presence which is supposed to be there. My skin amplifies creamy woods. It is warm and cuddly like a scented hug. May I never be without it. I have it and Joy but I reach for this more often.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I have a vintage 1970s jade green bottle which I have been nursing along for a few years now. Bought opened on ebay, it still smells gorgeous. It is rich, earthy, spicy, floral and you either get it or never will. It seems strong at first (as with vintage Joy, a few dabs will do ya), but settles in to an expensive smelling fragrance. I live in Florida now and only use it in the Winter months. When I lived in Seattle, I wore it more often. It's one of those vintage fragrances that stand the test of time.

on 1/26/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here is a floral chypre, spun into rich gold, nothing too much or too little: there's a hint of honey and powder on muffled florals, its animal urges tamed. Chypres can be downright bizarre, as oakmoss can take on qualities of bitter green or thick dust by turns, but 1000 is only tastefully offbeat, it speaks quietly and politely, accented by old-money diction. All perfumes depend on an interplay of shifting notes over timemolecules with differing evaporation rateswhich the attentive nose may follow, like silent music1000 might be akin to Mozart's Figaro. A full ten years of painstaking (re)work, the craftsmanship is evident in every exquisite, complicated facet, and though the notes are somewhat unusual, nothing jars or snags at your senses. The first generic impressions include overripe apples, vaguely indolic jasmine, and patchouli clawing its way from a mossy base, but patience will tease out 1000's meticulous, expansive complexities: the bergamot top of the classic chypre is smoothed into a gentle effervescence, punctuated by green, aromatic angelica and icy eucalyptus, while the oakmoss bottom of the classic chypre, rounded out by vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, and civet, lends an earthy, quasi-masculine foundation for the grand, mellifluous floral heart.

Here, the classic floral patterns of bright, soaring rose, violet powder, and indolic jasmine, ever so costly and rare, do make their presence known, and indeed 1000 is ultimately intended to be a floral, and yet it is without the diamond-encrusted dazzle of its elder by Jean Patou, JOY, displaying instead a sense of discretion that is truly the quintessence of good taste. The complex chypre base provides an air of sobriety, and it is osmanthus, a flower of Chinese origin that has a green, apricot-y aroma, accented by nutty, herbaceous coriander, that takes up central position within that vast but subtle network. 1000 is not a customary floral by any means, but one that is creamy-smooth, mossy-dense, and honey-golden, not dark but full of subtle shadows. It is, like Le Smoking, an alluring combination of intrigue, refinement, and smirking self-confidence.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I said I would repurchase only because I buy some form of this fragrance every year for my mother's Christmas present. That said, I think this is the most fetid, foul smelling stuff ever to waft into my nostrils. It doesn't smell good on my mother or any other person I've encountered. The important thing is that my mother loves it, and loves to wear it so who am I to complain?

Popular Fragrances