Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

3.1

on 12/12/2014 7:42:00 PM

When my Mother in Law wanted to get me a fragrance for my birthday, this was my request, after months of trying samples from Surrender to Chance. Now this is my signature. It's a big rich white floral, but without the problematic indoles of jasmine (think Jicky) and since it uses few synthetics, it doesn't have that toilet cake vibe of other white florals (Narcisso Rodriguez for Her). Its classic and works well day or night, decent sillage, not overwhelming (if you don't wear too much) and wonderful longevity. It's also really complicated, not just white floral, but a lot going on, and suits a person who doesn't necessarily follow trends but is very individual.

on 1/26/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here is a floral chypre, spun into rich gold, nothing too much or too little: there's a hint of honey and powder on muffled florals, its animal urges tamed. Chypres can be downright bizarre, as oakmoss can take on qualities of bitter green or thick dust by turns, but 1000 is only tastefully offbeat, it speaks quietly and politely, accented by old-money diction. All perfumes depend on an interplay of shifting notes over timemolecules with differing evaporation rateswhich the attentive nose may follow, like silent music1000 might be akin to Mozart's Figaro. A full ten years of painstaking (re)work, the craftsmanship is evident in every exquisite, complicated facet, and though the notes are somewhat unusual, nothing jars or snags at your senses. The first generic impressions include overripe apples, vaguely indolic jasmine, and patchouli clawing its way from a mossy base, but patience will tease out 1000's meticulous, expansive complexities: the bergamot top of the classic chypre is smoothed into a gentle effervescence, punctuated by green, aromatic angelica and icy eucalyptus, while the oakmoss bottom of the classic chypre, rounded out by vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, and civet, lends an earthy, quasi-masculine foundation for the grand, mellifluous floral heart.

Here, the classic floral patterns of bright, soaring rose, violet powder, and indolic jasmine, ever so costly and rare, do make their presence known, and indeed 1000 is ultimately intended to be a floral, and yet it is without the diamond-encrusted dazzle of its elder by Jean Patou, JOY, displaying instead a sense of discretion that is truly the quintessence of good taste. The complex chypre base provides an air of sobriety, and it is osmanthus, a flower of Chinese origin that has a green, apricot-y aroma, accented by nutty, herbaceous coriander, that takes up central position within that vast but subtle network. 1000 is not a customary floral by any means, but one that is creamy-smooth, mossy-dense, and honey-golden, not dark but full of subtle shadows. It is, like Le Smoking, an alluring combination of intrigue, refinement, and smirking self-confidence.

on 10/19/2008 5:01:00 PM

I am trying to love my new and extravagent purchase of the perfume. I was so in love with the body lotion- it would settle into one of the most provocative and unusual fragrances I've ever encountered and the ratings are based on my love of the lotion. For years I looked forward to treating myself with the perfume. The dry down has been disappointing, I should have stuck with what worked. Only now am I learning that every product in a fragrance line can have a different effect. No more expensive mistakes! Buying samples first. Oh-- I will probably wear the perfume tomorrow for a lunch date-- one more try.

on 9/10/2008 11:05:00 PM

There are some fragrances that take a bit of getting used to, but after a full course of it, as a man you just seems to want more. Recently a lady friend has been wearing 1000 by Jean Patou all the time, the EDT from the start of the morning, the EDP at dinner unless the venue is high end. If so and always before bed a few dainty dabs of the perfume to set the mood.

I have always been inspired by fragrances, ever since I began to get ritual weekly haircuts beginning on my 11th birthday and for many years after, as I visited a classic British barber and tried out all of his hundreds of scents from limes and bay rums from the Carribean, to all the scents by Shulton, Caswell, Creed and most of the French designer fragrances. I always felt so fresh and ready for anything after those visits, right through college and into my first high powered jobs. I also appreciated the knowing glances by "older" women (somewhere over 25 years old) as they caught a hint of my scent, and sometimes were close enough that I caught a bit of theirs.

But only recently had I met a "1000 woman" thru and thru. Oddly enough for such a direct fragrance, it is very expensive and not available just anywhere. 1000 is very sophisticated and is one of the best women's fragrances when it comes to blending well with what a man wears. It blends especially well with Aramis, English Leather, Old Spice, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and a quality Bay Rum or Oak Moss fragrance for men.

Indeed as a night goes on whether outdoors enjoying the sulty air or ... indoors enjoying the sultry air, there is a special sensuality about 1000 that draws a man "in" as in intimacy. Mille perfume has a special warmth that seems to draw a man closer in a gentle but persistent kind of way.

Jean Patou has always had a way of projecting femininity from a woman, out towards a man (as opposed to being like wearing a "female overcoat", or aggressive fem-machine-gun). Mille does this in a no nonsense but highly attractive kind of way. Mille it seems can work with the fresh scent of a woman instead of covering it up (maybe it's the "green-ness of it).

Not fruity or overly sweet, 1000 can be worn all day long, and the concentrated bath oil can have an extremely powerful effect on a man. It has the kind of power to make a man bury his face in the towel the woman just used and then seek her out to cradle her in his arms. It is truly an intoxicating experience for both parties.

So perhaps while Joy is all about flowers and a young lady's blossoming into a woman, 1000 is all about projecting the maximum womanliness possible. Strong modern woman seem to be best suited to using 1000 all day long, or at least women who want to be seen strong and modern might wear it for the same reason. I've seen the influence 1000 has on a woman coming to grips with the power a woman can wield, If you are spending some quality time with a man you really like and ... want, give him a message he'll understand right down to his ... soul, by wearing Mille morning noon and night. He won't ever get enough. continued >>

on 6/24/2008 10:48:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I received this as a sample, spritzed it on and admired the topnote. But within a few mins, I was convinced that one of my dogs had pooped in the adjacent living room. A quick check confirmed that both were napping, and then the source of the intensely fecal smell was discovered when I sniffed my wrist. An overpowering odor des poopies. I waited, hoping it would go away. But it did not, and I ended up scrubbing it off. I gave it a few more tries with the same result. My nose must just focus on the indoles, or the skatoles, or whatever molecule it is that can smell fecal in dilution. A bummer, but I blame my nose and not the fragrance, since anything that has been a steady seller for so many years has to be more pleasing than not.

on 2/20/2008 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

1000 to me is a nice green chypre in the same vein as Chanel 19. On my skin, the two are similar, replacing the iris of 19 with an earthy violet in 1000. It is so similar to 19 to me that I wouldn't buy a full bottle, but the lovley violet note is nice enough that I might keep a decant of this around for spring.

on 2/16/2008 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Less loud than most 70s scents, this is still clearly in the older style of perfumery. Slightly ripe florals over a classic base with sandalwood, civet and patchouli, it smells like it cost a lot, but I'm not sure it smells like it was worth it. It smells dated. I have nothing against a perfume that doesn't smell like modern blah-mall perfumes, but this one is just so very...vintage. Vintage in an out-of-style way, not in a 1916 retro way. It's not bad, but I sure won't be wearing it out of the house. And as it dries down more completely, I'm starting to detect that flowers-gone-off scent some of the other reviewers noted. No, I don't agree with the enthusiasts: This is not a classy, timeless, sexy scent. It's shoulder pads in a red suit and hairspray helmet hair. Gotta go scrub. EDIT: Second try, years later. It's a leathery old style chypre floral. A tiny bit reminiscent of Arpege in the tarry aldehyde and apricot feeling. A little bit soapy in the green notes. Nice enough and def black tie, but still not my kind of thing at all.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I said I would repurchase only because I buy some form of this fragrance every year for my mother's Christmas present. That said, I think this is the most fetid, foul smelling stuff ever to waft into my nostrils. It doesn't smell good on my mother or any other person I've encountered. The important thing is that my mother loves it, and loves to wear it so who am I to complain?

Popular Fragrances