Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

on 1/26/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here is a floral chypre, spun into rich gold, nothing too much or too little: there's a hint of honey and powder on muffled florals, its animal urges tamed. Chypres can be downright bizarre, as oakmoss can take on qualities of bitter green or thick dust by turns, but 1000 is only tastefully offbeat, it speaks quietly and politely, accented by old-money diction. All perfumes depend on an interplay of shifting notes over timemolecules with differing evaporation rateswhich the attentive nose may follow, like silent music1000 might be akin to Mozart's Figaro. A full ten years of painstaking (re)work, the craftsmanship is evident in every exquisite, complicated facet, and though the notes are somewhat unusual, nothing jars or snags at your senses. The first generic impressions include overripe apples, vaguely indolic jasmine, and patchouli clawing its way from a mossy base, but patience will tease out 1000's meticulous, expansive complexities: the bergamot top of the classic chypre is smoothed into a gentle effervescence, punctuated by green, aromatic angelica and icy eucalyptus, while the oakmoss bottom of the classic chypre, rounded out by vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, and civet, lends an earthy, quasi-masculine foundation for the grand, mellifluous floral heart.

Here, the classic floral patterns of bright, soaring rose, violet powder, and indolic jasmine, ever so costly and rare, do make their presence known, and indeed 1000 is ultimately intended to be a floral, and yet it is without the diamond-encrusted dazzle of its elder by Jean Patou, JOY, displaying instead a sense of discretion that is truly the quintessence of good taste. The complex chypre base provides an air of sobriety, and it is osmanthus, a flower of Chinese origin that has a green, apricot-y aroma, accented by nutty, herbaceous coriander, that takes up central position within that vast but subtle network. 1000 is not a customary floral by any means, but one that is creamy-smooth, mossy-dense, and honey-golden, not dark but full of subtle shadows. It is, like Le Smoking, an alluring combination of intrigue, refinement, and smirking self-confidence.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was immediately reminded of the great Mitsouko when trying 1000. I was at the mall (gack), looking for a new fragrance for my brother. I wandered past the Patou counter, where a smallish stock of fragrances had been relegated to a corner. Joy, EnJoy, and 1000. Since my only past experience with Patou had been Patou = Big Floral, I gave my wrist a glancing spritz out of sheer boredom. I went on to other fragrance endeavors, only stopping to sniff my wrist out of curiosity because death-by-bouquet had not yet hit me in the nose.

Whoa. What was this? Hints of my beloved Mitsouko? Not quite as dry or mossy, as others have mentioned, but definitely there. Flowers are there, too, but they don't scream at the top of their lungs. And what was that note wafting from the base? Something... carnal. Purely sexual, but neither male nor female. It doesn't smell like cumin (no scent of sweat). Whatever it is, this was wonderful, unique, dark-but-polished fragrance. This does not evoke the somewhat melancholy, remote emotion which I perceive from some of the Guerlain classics. This is an approachable fragrance, but it's very womanly and a bit dangerous. I must investigate further.

I absolutely love this! It makes me feel very elegant when I wear it. OK, it smells somewhat old fashioned and it's not suited for daytime but I think it's a great special occasions spring and fall perfume.

Popular Fragrances