Jean Patou 1000

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 44-55
Jean Patou 1000
1000

on 7/22/2017 6:24:00 PM

This has all the class and elegance of an old school chypre. It is a trifle powdery, soft and subtle but it lasts ages on my skin. I don't get a massive rose presence which is supposed to be there. My skin amplifies creamy woods. It is warm and cuddly like a scented hug. May I never be without it. I have it and Joy but I reach for this more often.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

When I was 20, I was given a small bottle of the eau de parfum, and at the time, I thought it was a little too sexy for me. It's a very sophisticated and complicated scent, but I did love it on special occasions. I purchased the EDT from that time forward, because I found it not quite as sharp or distinct as the EDP, but still had the same complexity. Once I entered my 30s, I found I could wear it with jeans or sequins, and it became my signature scent, I just didn't feel like me, in anything else. I tried to use other fragrances over the years, but I've never found one that blended so well with my natural chemistry and just made me smell like me, only better. It dries back beautifully, without going too floral or too spicy, and reminds me of being in a wooded, slightly floral place. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I smell good, particularly the following day, when it continues to dry down. So many fragrances use synthetic ingredients that don't do well with my chemistry and smell stale or odd, even after a short period of time. This always smelled wonderful, always changing, always a little different, and always wonderful. Then in comes Proctor and Gamble and they destroyed it - way too watered down and way too floral. But the good news is, Jean Patou has set themselves free from the P&G relationship and they're making it in France again. It's just now coming back on the market, and it is so much better than what it's been over the last several years. Those who love the P&G version and have never tried the real deal....you are in for a treat. It's French, it's classic, and it's what perfume should be. This is not a fragrance where someone can name the fragrance you're wearing. Yet, it's complexity, nuance, and depth, is like no other. It's the perfect blend of woody, green, floral, and a touch of spice. And just like a fine wine, the longer you have it, the more beautiful it becomes - I have several little vials from years ago and they've only gotten better over time. To make sure you have the real stuff, just check the box for where it's made. It should say France, not UK. I order it from Parfumelle out of Texas, he always makes sure he has the freshest fragrances.

on 1/30/2012 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: coriander, green notes, bergamot and tangerine
Middle notes: iris, violet, jasmine, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium
Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, patchouli, civet, oakmoss and vetiver

In my humble opinion, Jean Patou 1000 is a vintage-only affair, as this fragrance has done extremely poorly in reformulation, however if you are able to track done a well preserved vintage then you are in for a decadent treat. 1000 is an opulent and abstract floriental with a heart of indolent osthmanthus and dark, complicated violets. Heady, intoxicating, narcotic.
It is such a well-blended fragrance that comparisons to other scents do not come easily, although I was able to identify a distant relationship to Narciso Rodriguez for her, based on the osthmanthus note.
The EdT wears like and EdP or stronger, with a touch a sweetness, velvety smoothness, and about a mile of depth. A scent with classic grandeur, if you get the right bottle.