Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.9

on 7/22/2017 6:24:00 PM

This has all the class and elegance of an old school chypre. It is a trifle powdery, soft and subtle but it lasts ages on my skin. I don't get a massive rose presence which is supposed to be there. My skin amplifies creamy woods. It is warm and cuddly like a scented hug. May I never be without it. I have it and Joy but I reach for this more often.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I have a vintage 1970s jade green bottle which I have been nursing along for a few years now. Bought opened on ebay, it still smells gorgeous. It is rich, earthy, spicy, floral and you either get it or never will. It seems strong at first (as with vintage Joy, a few dabs will do ya), but settles in to an expensive smelling fragrance. I live in Florida now and only use it in the Winter months. When I lived in Seattle, I wore it more often. It's one of those vintage fragrances that stand the test of time.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

When I was 20, I was given a small bottle of the eau de parfum, and at the time, I thought it was a little too sexy for me. It's a very sophisticated and complicated scent, but I did love it on special occasions. I purchased the EDT from that time forward, because I found it not quite as sharp or distinct as the EDP, but still had the same complexity. Once I entered my 30s, I found I could wear it with jeans or sequins, and it became my signature scent, I just didn't feel like me, in anything else. I tried to use other fragrances over the years, but I've never found one that blended so well with my natural chemistry and just made me smell like me, only better. It dries back beautifully, without going too floral or too spicy, and reminds me of being in a wooded, slightly floral place. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I smell good, particularly the following day, when it continues to dry down. So many fragrances use synthetic ingredients that don't do well with my chemistry and smell stale or odd, even after a short period of time. This always smelled wonderful, always changing, always a little different, and always wonderful. Then in comes Proctor and Gamble and they destroyed it - way too watered down and way too floral. But the good news is, Jean Patou has set themselves free from the P&G relationship and they're making it in France again. It's just now coming back on the market, and it is so much better than what it's been over the last several years. Those who love the P&G version and have never tried the real deal....you are in for a treat. It's French, it's classic, and it's what perfume should be. This is not a fragrance where someone can name the fragrance you're wearing. Yet, it's complexity, nuance, and depth, is like no other. It's the perfect blend of woody, green, floral, and a touch of spice. And just like a fine wine, the longer you have it, the more beautiful it becomes - I have several little vials from years ago and they've only gotten better over time. To make sure you have the real stuff, just check the box for where it's made. It should say France, not UK. I order it from Parfumelle out of Texas, he always makes sure he has the freshest fragrances.

on 1/30/2012 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: coriander, green notes, bergamot and tangerine
Middle notes: iris, violet, jasmine, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium
Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, patchouli, civet, oakmoss and vetiver

In my humble opinion, Jean Patou 1000 is a vintage-only affair, as this fragrance has done extremely poorly in reformulation, however if you are able to track done a well preserved vintage then you are in for a decadent treat. 1000 is an opulent and abstract floriental with a heart of indolent osthmanthus and dark, complicated violets. Heady, intoxicating, narcotic.
It is such a well-blended fragrance that comparisons to other scents do not come easily, although I was able to identify a distant relationship to Narciso Rodriguez for her, based on the osthmanthus note.
The EdT wears like and EdP or stronger, with a touch a sweetness, velvety smoothness, and about a mile of depth. A scent with classic grandeur, if you get the right bottle.

Sophisticated, clean, yet pretty. Very wearable, subtle, and unique. Wish it wasn't so expensive. A bit powdery, but a great fragrance for work that exudes grownup confidence.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was immediately reminded of the great Mitsouko when trying 1000. I was at the mall (gack), looking for a new fragrance for my brother. I wandered past the Patou counter, where a smallish stock of fragrances had been relegated to a corner. Joy, EnJoy, and 1000. Since my only past experience with Patou had been Patou = Big Floral, I gave my wrist a glancing spritz out of sheer boredom. I went on to other fragrance endeavors, only stopping to sniff my wrist out of curiosity because death-by-bouquet had not yet hit me in the nose.

Whoa. What was this? Hints of my beloved Mitsouko? Not quite as dry or mossy, as others have mentioned, but definitely there. Flowers are there, too, but they don't scream at the top of their lungs. And what was that note wafting from the base? Something... carnal. Purely sexual, but neither male nor female. It doesn't smell like cumin (no scent of sweat). Whatever it is, this was wonderful, unique, dark-but-polished fragrance. This does not evoke the somewhat melancholy, remote emotion which I perceive from some of the Guerlain classics. This is an approachable fragrance, but it's very womanly and a bit dangerous. I must investigate further.

I absolutely love this! It makes me feel very elegant when I wear it. OK, it smells somewhat old fashioned and it's not suited for daytime but I think it's a great special occasions spring and fall perfume.

on 7/10/2004 1:27:00 PM

Ohhhh, desire, beauty, feminity, and all things just beyond our reach in a bottle. Smells, literally, Divine. Like something the gods gave . . wait, they did--floral gifts, but these gifts have been expertly blended with exquisite care and attention to detail. One of my favs. It loves me and I love it, and that's all I need to know. Pure pleasure, surpasses that other gift ot the gods, "Joy" for sensory ecstasy.

Popular Fragrances