Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.3

Deep, dark, gorgeous. Defies categorization. This is a "rich" floral, but where are the bright, fresh flowers. The answer: this perfume uses some of the world's most expensive natural ingredients, such as Grasse jasmine, damascena and centifolia rose, Indonesian patchouli, and Mysore sandalwood. As such, it smells more woody than the synthetics to which we have grown accustomed. As such, it smells vintage, even though it is new.
Imagine going back to a time when a perfumer was told, "Forget cost. Forget mass production. Just make it great." This is the spirit of Jean Patou (Mille) 1000.
Perfumery, like cuisine, is all about ingredients. Hence the high price for this fragrance. Is it worth it? Yes, especially if you do not wear today's fruity florals, chocolate candies, and simple, clean scents. A good candidate would be someone who loves chypres and serious, complex, mysterious fragrances.
This perfume will draw you in. Most florals expand outward, diffusing sweetness. Hence, they risk becoming piercingly sweet and cloying. Mille seems to concentrate the scent of a thousand flowers in one, small space. That one place where it is applied acts like a gravitational force, a black hole, a dark star of fragrance.
Knowing nothing about this perfume, my first reaction was, "Is this a patchouli fragrance?"
"No," said the salesman. "It is osmanthus and other flowers."
Indeed it was. All of them were well-blended, smooth and strong, but dark and focused, with an edge, and enveloped in aromatic vapor. Individual notes escaped in nanosecond bursts from this compressed richness. I have never smelled anything like this before.
The sun shone down on my skin, night fell, and a sexual, intimate human note appeared. It was naughty. I was transfixed.
This sophisitcated perfume will not please everybody, but popular taste is not necessarily good taste.
It is best to try Jean Patou (Mille) 1000 at an authorized distributor, such as Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus because their supply is fresh. They tell me that they often run out because production is limited. That is good, because natural products have a shelf life. A discount bottle from the Internet might be good enough for a first try, but if you like it, buy the best you can afford.

on 9/10/2008 11:05:00 PM

There are some fragrances that take a bit of getting used to, but after a full course of it, as a man you just seems to want more. Recently a lady friend has been wearing 1000 by Jean Patou all the time, the EDT from the start of the morning, the EDP at dinner unless the venue is high end. If so and always before bed a few dainty dabs of the perfume to set the mood.

I have always been inspired by fragrances, ever since I began to get ritual weekly haircuts beginning on my 11th birthday and for many years after, as I visited a classic British barber and tried out all of his hundreds of scents from limes and bay rums from the Carribean, to all the scents by Shulton, Caswell, Creed and most of the French designer fragrances. I always felt so fresh and ready for anything after those visits, right through college and into my first high powered jobs. I also appreciated the knowing glances by "older" women (somewhere over 25 years old) as they caught a hint of my scent, and sometimes were close enough that I caught a bit of theirs.

But only recently had I met a "1000 woman" thru and thru. Oddly enough for such a direct fragrance, it is very expensive and not available just anywhere. 1000 is very sophisticated and is one of the best women's fragrances when it comes to blending well with what a man wears. It blends especially well with Aramis, English Leather, Old Spice, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and a quality Bay Rum or Oak Moss fragrance for men.

Indeed as a night goes on whether outdoors enjoying the sulty air or ... indoors enjoying the sultry air, there is a special sensuality about 1000 that draws a man "in" as in intimacy. Mille perfume has a special warmth that seems to draw a man closer in a gentle but persistent kind of way.

Jean Patou has always had a way of projecting femininity from a woman, out towards a man (as opposed to being like wearing a "female overcoat", or aggressive fem-machine-gun). Mille does this in a no nonsense but highly attractive kind of way. Mille it seems can work with the fresh scent of a woman instead of covering it up (maybe it's the "green-ness of it).

Not fruity or overly sweet, 1000 can be worn all day long, and the concentrated bath oil can have an extremely powerful effect on a man. It has the kind of power to make a man bury his face in the towel the woman just used and then seek her out to cradle her in his arms. It is truly an intoxicating experience for both parties.

So perhaps while Joy is all about flowers and a young lady's blossoming into a woman, 1000 is all about projecting the maximum womanliness possible. Strong modern woman seem to be best suited to using 1000 all day long, or at least women who want to be seen strong and modern might wear it for the same reason. I've seen the influence 1000 has on a woman coming to grips with the power a woman can wield, If you are spending some quality time with a man you really like and ... want, give him a message he'll understand right down to his ... soul, by wearing Mille morning noon and night. He won't ever get enough. continued >>

on 4/22/2008 2:50:00 PM

A strange scent that combines elegance and wildness, like finding a cluster of dainty violets in a creaky, dangerous wood. As daring as Mitsouko, but without Mitsouko's romantic aspirations and Deco-inflected artistry. Both of these classics safety-pin florals to moss, and they both do it in a way that is surreal, even given their seamlessness.

1000 is even stranger than Mitsouko. Despite its fragility, violet (as a scent note) is never easy to tame. It's always too sweet, too Victorian, perhaps even too simplistic to do more than to announce itself and then coyly retire. In 1000, the violet feels organic as it slowly disappears into decay, becoming mulchy and then dry, as if it has acquiesed to nature and the natural cycle of birth and death, decomposition and decay.

This makes 1000 difficult to wear. It's rooty and unpretty in its base notes, yet it is gay enough to give the appearance of freshness at the top. It is nothing like Joy, although the sense of briars continues from one Patou to the other. It's just that Joy doesn't scratch and 1000 does. Those expecting a floral bouquet will be disappointed; 1000 is too gothic for that, or perhaps too literary. It's the Edgar Allan Poe of the classic florals, juxtaposing a simple event with a much darker, possibly ominous one.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

When I was 20, I was given a small bottle of the eau de parfum, and at the time, I thought it was a little too sexy for me. It's a very sophisticated and complicated scent, but I did love it on special occasions. I purchased the EDT from that time forward, because I found it not quite as sharp or distinct as the EDP, but still had the same complexity. Once I entered my 30s, I found I could wear it with jeans or sequins, and it became my signature scent, I just didn't feel like me, in anything else. I tried to use other fragrances over the years, but I've never found one that blended so well with my natural chemistry and just made me smell like me, only better. It dries back beautifully, without going too floral or too spicy, and reminds me of being in a wooded, slightly floral place. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I smell good, particularly the following day, when it continues to dry down. So many fragrances use synthetic ingredients that don't do well with my chemistry and smell stale or odd, even after a short period of time. This always smelled wonderful, always changing, always a little different, and always wonderful. Then in comes Proctor and Gamble and they destroyed it - way too watered down and way too floral. But the good news is, Jean Patou has set themselves free from the P&G relationship and they're making it in France again. It's just now coming back on the market, and it is so much better than what it's been over the last several years. Those who love the P&G version and have never tried the real deal....you are in for a treat. It's French, it's classic, and it's what perfume should be. This is not a fragrance where someone can name the fragrance you're wearing. Yet, it's complexity, nuance, and depth, is like no other. It's the perfect blend of woody, green, floral, and a touch of spice. And just like a fine wine, the longer you have it, the more beautiful it becomes - I have several little vials from years ago and they've only gotten better over time. To make sure you have the real stuff, just check the box for where it's made. It should say France, not UK. I order it from Parfumelle out of Texas, he always makes sure he has the freshest fragrances.

on 5/3/2006 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The most elegant, sensual, mysterious perfume I have ever found, warm and earthy with an echo of violets in the shadows, that blends perfectly with my body chemistry and my psychology. I wear it to bed, and know nothing better than to let the scent of it carry me to sleep. Discovered it when I was a teenager, when a woman in a shop gave me a tester and spoiled me forever. I treasured the tester, eeking it out drop by drop, and waited more than ten years to feel worthy of my first full bottle. In 27 years I have never found one better, or even close, though I do wear other perfumes. This one is special, memorable, to be treasured. I use the EDT as it is perfection on me; the others are a little heavy for my chemistry. A word of caution: men, all kinds of men, follow me around with lovelorn expressions when I wear it, so I'm a little choosey who I wear it around and when. Not one I wear to work, unless I mean to cause a distraction.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was immediately reminded of the great Mitsouko when trying 1000. I was at the mall (gack), looking for a new fragrance for my brother. I wandered past the Patou counter, where a smallish stock of fragrances had been relegated to a corner. Joy, EnJoy, and 1000. Since my only past experience with Patou had been Patou = Big Floral, I gave my wrist a glancing spritz out of sheer boredom. I went on to other fragrance endeavors, only stopping to sniff my wrist out of curiosity because death-by-bouquet had not yet hit me in the nose.

Whoa. What was this? Hints of my beloved Mitsouko? Not quite as dry or mossy, as others have mentioned, but definitely there. Flowers are there, too, but they don't scream at the top of their lungs. And what was that note wafting from the base? Something... carnal. Purely sexual, but neither male nor female. It doesn't smell like cumin (no scent of sweat). Whatever it is, this was wonderful, unique, dark-but-polished fragrance. This does not evoke the somewhat melancholy, remote emotion which I perceive from some of the Guerlain classics. This is an approachable fragrance, but it's very womanly and a bit dangerous. I must investigate further.

I have to take back all the negative comments I've made about 1000 over the past year. I consider it one of my favorites now, perfect all year round. It's suave, creamy, elegant and urbane. Dress it up, dress it down. Wear it to the grocery, office, to church, to the opera, or for a big night on the town. Very versatile. It's a marvelously balanced fragrance that tends to stay close to the skin. If you're looking for something that is a chypre with floral and green accents, this one could very well be for you. It's easy to wear and easy to love. If you find Mitsouko too much of a challenge, fear not. Give 1000 a fair chance.

on 1/30/2012 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: coriander, green notes, bergamot and tangerine
Middle notes: iris, violet, jasmine, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium
Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, patchouli, civet, oakmoss and vetiver

In my humble opinion, Jean Patou 1000 is a vintage-only affair, as this fragrance has done extremely poorly in reformulation, however if you are able to track done a well preserved vintage then you are in for a decadent treat. 1000 is an opulent and abstract floriental with a heart of indolent osthmanthus and dark, complicated violets. Heady, intoxicating, narcotic.
It is such a well-blended fragrance that comparisons to other scents do not come easily, although I was able to identify a distant relationship to Narciso Rodriguez for her, based on the osthmanthus note.
The EdT wears like and EdP or stronger, with a touch a sweetness, velvety smoothness, and about a mile of depth. A scent with classic grandeur, if you get the right bottle.

on 9/12/2009 7:43:00 PM

Jean Patou's 1000 has to be the most divine the most exquisite fragrance ever created. You can tell very high end ingredients are used for this fragrance as it smells so realistically like a bouquet of fresh flowers. 1000 is not just a few flowers in a vase. 1000 is walking into a room that is flooded with 10's of millions of all diffrent kinds of flowers from the world over. 1000 is not a thin floral either. Its very dense and thick. It must be the civet basenotes or the sandalwood that that makes it feel so oppulent and heavy. 1000 is a fragrance for a night at the opera or for going to a broadway play.

Sophisticated, clean, yet pretty. Very wearable, subtle, and unique. Wish it wasn't so expensive. A bit powdery, but a great fragrance for work that exudes grownup confidence.

Popular Fragrances