Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.3

on 5/22/2002 2:53:00 PM

Last summer, while at a fabulous fragrance boutique in San Francisco, a well known actress/singer told me this was her favorite scent EVER. That someone had recommended this to her and that it had become, since then, her signature scent. She told me I HAD to try it (she fell in love with the scent I was trying on so she purchased it too: Fragonard Eau De Garrigues) so she told the owner of the boutique to find the tester, make me a sample and let me give it a go so I could see what she meant. The tester and fragrance were behind lock and key in a cabinet in the back of the store. "VERY expensive" they said it was. Well, I can tell you without any doubt this must be one of the foulest perfumes I have EVER tried on me or any other human being on earth. Only Creed Jasmal comes close to this stinker. They can keep the cabinet open for all I care. This is one fragrance I would NEVER ever buy. Heady, jasmine and rose stench, recalling flowers that were picked past its primed and left sitting in water too long. Bitter and sour and overwhelming. Takes a VERY strong personality to match the notes on this perfume.

ah, 1000 de patou is a fragrance i *love* and always come back to when fragrance-confusion takes over. it appears that this did not mix well with marya's body chemistry (see review above), but it does beatuifully with mine. i have the edt (and you can find it a LOT cheaper on he web than if you get it in a regular store), but this is a scent for which i will definitely get the parfum version as well...it has roses, corinander, with osmanthus thrown in for freshness, it dries down slightly ambery and it is just fabulous imo. i totally undestand that one can fall in love with this at first sniff, since that is what happened to me at the time as well.
like always, better to try it out on your skin before you buy.

on 7/19/2002 4:20:00 PM

I have long been a Jean Patou fan because my mother wore "Joy" and "1000" from the time I was a child; she has since moved on, but my fondness for this fragrance house remains. I think that the Patou fragrances are an acquired taste; they all share a similar bond in the form of certain notes that express their "Patou-ness." I think of it as a certain dryness -- very dry jasmine (not wet, sweet or hot -- just elegantly dry like a perfect martini), I think, is one of the primary unifying links. Anyway, it's a quality that I love, and 1000 certainly has it; I found a bottle of this in a light, after-shower "body mist" form and it is beautiful...it is a green floral marked with a jot of spiciness and again, that arid quality that is coming from the jasmine as well as some rose. I've been on a big Patou kick lately and this is a welcome addition to the collection I'm building.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I said I would repurchase only because I buy some form of this fragrance every year for my mother's Christmas present. That said, I think this is the most fetid, foul smelling stuff ever to waft into my nostrils. It doesn't smell good on my mother or any other person I've encountered. The important thing is that my mother loves it, and loves to wear it so who am I to complain?

on 1/13/2003 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

It starts okay, very floral, then it turns into a decayed flower bouquet! By the end of the day you could swear I spent the day at a cemetery filled with rotten flowers! The same goes for "JOY"! What a mess with my chemistry!

on 4/2/2003 10:47:00 AM

Class and sophistication in a
bottle. I can't speak for those whose chemistry doesn't agree with the fragrance, but for me, it is just wonderful. The scent is rose based, musky and intense. Not for the timid wallflower, this smells of eroticism and wealth.

on 7/29/2003 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This scent is based on the osmanthus, wich smells like abricot. On my skin, 1000 smells similar to Mitsouko. It has the fruitiess, without the greeness of Mitsouko.

on 11/22/2003 1:16:00 PM

This is a rating (5 stars) for the Body Mist. I tried the EDT before that and never liked it. I found the EDT to be harsh, dry, and lacking any sweetness or pleasantness. The Body Mist, on the other hand, is great. It has more floral notes, and is soft and never overpowering. The Body Mist dries down into a lasting warm, soft, smooth scent that melds into my natural skin and seems to be very natural. I think it's probably a mix of the dry soft jasmine and some musk or patchouli. Really it just smells like "my skin but better." I highly recommend the Body Mist.

I love this one. It is a highly skillful blend. Although I have it in the EDT concentration, I can still sense its extravagance.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Hands-down winner over Jean Patou's Joy perfume. This is a floral with depth and good balance, while retaining the uniqueness of Joy. It evolves to a powdery floral scent that is pleasant both in its initial application and drydown. No discordant notes. Most importantly, it never develops that old perfume scent that lingers like a bowl of weeks old rose petals.

Popular Fragrances