Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.5

on 7/22/2017 6:24:00 PM

This has all the class and elegance of an old school chypre. It is a trifle powdery, soft and subtle but it lasts ages on my skin. I don't get a massive rose presence which is supposed to be there. My skin amplifies creamy woods. It is warm and cuddly like a scented hug. May I never be without it. I have it and Joy but I reach for this more often.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

When I was 20, I was given a small bottle of the eau de parfum, and at the time, I thought it was a little too sexy for me. It's a very sophisticated and complicated scent, but I did love it on special occasions. I purchased the EDT from that time forward, because I found it not quite as sharp or distinct as the EDP, but still had the same complexity. Once I entered my 30s, I found I could wear it with jeans or sequins, and it became my signature scent, I just didn't feel like me, in anything else. I tried to use other fragrances over the years, but I've never found one that blended so well with my natural chemistry and just made me smell like me, only better. It dries back beautifully, without going too floral or too spicy, and reminds me of being in a wooded, slightly floral place. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I smell good, particularly the following day, when it continues to dry down. So many fragrances use synthetic ingredients that don't do well with my chemistry and smell stale or odd, even after a short period of time. This always smelled wonderful, always changing, always a little different, and always wonderful. Then in comes Proctor and Gamble and they destroyed it - way too watered down and way too floral. But the good news is, Jean Patou has set themselves free from the P&G relationship and they're making it in France again. It's just now coming back on the market, and it is so much better than what it's been over the last several years. Those who love the P&G version and have never tried the real deal....you are in for a treat. It's French, it's classic, and it's what perfume should be. This is not a fragrance where someone can name the fragrance you're wearing. Yet, it's complexity, nuance, and depth, is like no other. It's the perfect blend of woody, green, floral, and a touch of spice. And just like a fine wine, the longer you have it, the more beautiful it becomes - I have several little vials from years ago and they've only gotten better over time. To make sure you have the real stuff, just check the box for where it's made. It should say France, not UK. I order it from Parfumelle out of Texas, he always makes sure he has the freshest fragrances.

on 1/30/2012 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: coriander, green notes, bergamot and tangerine
Middle notes: iris, violet, jasmine, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium
Base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, patchouli, civet, oakmoss and vetiver

In my humble opinion, Jean Patou 1000 is a vintage-only affair, as this fragrance has done extremely poorly in reformulation, however if you are able to track done a well preserved vintage then you are in for a decadent treat. 1000 is an opulent and abstract floriental with a heart of indolent osthmanthus and dark, complicated violets. Heady, intoxicating, narcotic.
It is such a well-blended fragrance that comparisons to other scents do not come easily, although I was able to identify a distant relationship to Narciso Rodriguez for her, based on the osthmanthus note.
The EdT wears like and EdP or stronger, with a touch a sweetness, velvety smoothness, and about a mile of depth. A scent with classic grandeur, if you get the right bottle.

on 10/19/2008 5:01:00 PM

I am trying to love my new and extravagent purchase of the perfume. I was so in love with the body lotion- it would settle into one of the most provocative and unusual fragrances I've ever encountered and the ratings are based on my love of the lotion. For years I looked forward to treating myself with the perfume. The dry down has been disappointing, I should have stuck with what worked. Only now am I learning that every product in a fragrance line can have a different effect. No more expensive mistakes! Buying samples first. Oh-- I will probably wear the perfume tomorrow for a lunch date-- one more try.

on 6/24/2008 10:48:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I received this as a sample, spritzed it on and admired the topnote. But within a few mins, I was convinced that one of my dogs had pooped in the adjacent living room. A quick check confirmed that both were napping, and then the source of the intensely fecal smell was discovered when I sniffed my wrist. An overpowering odor des poopies. I waited, hoping it would go away. But it did not, and I ended up scrubbing it off. I gave it a few more tries with the same result. My nose must just focus on the indoles, or the skatoles, or whatever molecule it is that can smell fecal in dilution. A bummer, but I blame my nose and not the fragrance, since anything that has been a steady seller for so many years has to be more pleasing than not.

on 4/22/2008 2:50:00 PM

A strange scent that combines elegance and wildness, like finding a cluster of dainty violets in a creaky, dangerous wood. As daring as Mitsouko, but without Mitsouko's romantic aspirations and Deco-inflected artistry. Both of these classics safety-pin florals to moss, and they both do it in a way that is surreal, even given their seamlessness.

1000 is even stranger than Mitsouko. Despite its fragility, violet (as a scent note) is never easy to tame. It's always too sweet, too Victorian, perhaps even too simplistic to do more than to announce itself and then coyly retire. In 1000, the violet feels organic as it slowly disappears into decay, becoming mulchy and then dry, as if it has acquiesed to nature and the natural cycle of birth and death, decomposition and decay.

This makes 1000 difficult to wear. It's rooty and unpretty in its base notes, yet it is gay enough to give the appearance of freshness at the top. It is nothing like Joy, although the sense of briars continues from one Patou to the other. It's just that Joy doesn't scratch and 1000 does. Those expecting a floral bouquet will be disappointed; 1000 is too gothic for that, or perhaps too literary. It's the Edgar Allan Poe of the classic florals, juxtaposing a simple event with a much darker, possibly ominous one.

Deep, dark, gorgeous. Defies categorization. This is a "rich" floral, but where are the bright, fresh flowers. The answer: this perfume uses some of the world's most expensive natural ingredients, such as Grasse jasmine, damascena and centifolia rose, Indonesian patchouli, and Mysore sandalwood. As such, it smells more woody than the synthetics to which we have grown accustomed. As such, it smells vintage, even though it is new.
Imagine going back to a time when a perfumer was told, "Forget cost. Forget mass production. Just make it great." This is the spirit of Jean Patou (Mille) 1000.
Perfumery, like cuisine, is all about ingredients. Hence the high price for this fragrance. Is it worth it? Yes, especially if you do not wear today's fruity florals, chocolate candies, and simple, clean scents. A good candidate would be someone who loves chypres and serious, complex, mysterious fragrances.
This perfume will draw you in. Most florals expand outward, diffusing sweetness. Hence, they risk becoming piercingly sweet and cloying. Mille seems to concentrate the scent of a thousand flowers in one, small space. That one place where it is applied acts like a gravitational force, a black hole, a dark star of fragrance.
Knowing nothing about this perfume, my first reaction was, "Is this a patchouli fragrance?"
"No," said the salesman. "It is osmanthus and other flowers."
Indeed it was. All of them were well-blended, smooth and strong, but dark and focused, with an edge, and enveloped in aromatic vapor. Individual notes escaped in nanosecond bursts from this compressed richness. I have never smelled anything like this before.
The sun shone down on my skin, night fell, and a sexual, intimate human note appeared. It was naughty. I was transfixed.
This sophisitcated perfume will not please everybody, but popular taste is not necessarily good taste.
It is best to try Jean Patou (Mille) 1000 at an authorized distributor, such as Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus because their supply is fresh. They tell me that they often run out because production is limited. That is good, because natural products have a shelf life. A discount bottle from the Internet might be good enough for a first try, but if you like it, buy the best you can afford.

on 5/3/2006 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The most elegant, sensual, mysterious perfume I have ever found, warm and earthy with an echo of violets in the shadows, that blends perfectly with my body chemistry and my psychology. I wear it to bed, and know nothing better than to let the scent of it carry me to sleep. Discovered it when I was a teenager, when a woman in a shop gave me a tester and spoiled me forever. I treasured the tester, eeking it out drop by drop, and waited more than ten years to feel worthy of my first full bottle. In 27 years I have never found one better, or even close, though I do wear other perfumes. This one is special, memorable, to be treasured. I use the EDT as it is perfection on me; the others are a little heavy for my chemistry. A word of caution: men, all kinds of men, follow me around with lovelorn expressions when I wear it, so I'm a little choosey who I wear it around and when. Not one I wear to work, unless I mean to cause a distraction.

Elegant, classy, chic and suave with a hint of naughtiness around the edges. Goes great with DSH's Richesse (her dupe of 1000). I like to layer one over the other to get the best effect. 1000 is virtually seamless. A masterpiece.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Hands-down winner over Jean Patou's Joy perfume. This is a floral with depth and good balance, while retaining the uniqueness of Joy. It evolves to a powdery floral scent that is pleasant both in its initial application and drydown. No discordant notes. Most importantly, it never develops that old perfume scent that lingers like a bowl of weeks old rose petals.

Popular Fragrances