Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

3.5

on 7/29/2016 8:33:00 AM

Im still in a 'testing' phase for this one...on a first sniff it immediately brought back the memory of a beach in the Adriatic sea when I was a kid. There is something in this that smells of an expensive sunscreen of the past, maybe something from Lancaster or similar, mixed with a fancy soap. I like it actually and it's not making me nauseous or headachy which a lot of perfumes do. I'll test it a few more times before I can commit to buying a full bottle.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A very nice summer scent that smells like fresh citrus- orange bloom, lemon, and something slightly flora. To extend the scent I spray it head to toe then use the body spray to do the same. I also place the body spray version in my hair and I can still smell it after lunch (6 hours later) but I still keep the body spray in my tote to reapply if needed after lunch. If you want to save money pick up the 4711 splash which is nearly 100 percent cheaper. I have both and can honestly say the ingredients for both products are the same. I just loved the TF bottle and wanted it anyway but it's the same product. Also you want the perfume version, as the toilette version evaporates as soon as it's applied while the other lasts a little longer.

To Read all 29 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

If I try *really* hard, I can smell the orange blossom on my skin, but my first reaction upon spraying is always sun screen. It evokes feelings of being on the beach and hot summer days, but it is not something I would wear on a daily basis or pay for the scent of sun screen. This didn't work with my body chemistry at all.

4711?? Puu Leeez,,NO, Do not insult this beautiful TF Neroli. I read people saying it immediately disappears, It doesnt on me. Try Spraying your hair behind your ears, or your top. This Is Lovely, & 4711 Does Not even compare, it stinks! The best thing I can tell you is it is alot like the Orange Version of C.O,Bigelow Bath & Body Works once sold. They still sell the Lemon. I bought a back up of the Orange one on Ebay. THAT is what this smells like. When your nose gets accustomed, You may not smell it, but I Guarantee you, others WILL! & They will compliment you, & ask you WHAT you are wearing. You can buy this cheaper on Ebay, But if you do not want to spend that kind of money, see if you can find the C.O. Bigelow Lemon & Orange Blossom (I just looked up the proper name), this is what you have. BOTH are AAAmazing!!

on 9/24/2015 12:45:00 PM

I am not fond of neroli portifino. It's relatively expensive and does not do much for my skin chemistry, evincing a stronger orange blossom than citrus. (I do have skin chemistry that may not be the norm -- une fleur de Cassie is wonderful on my skin, as is Guerlain Aqua allegorical Pamplelune, two scents which others seem to find difficult. I do have horrible issues with Caron vintage extrait narcisse noire, Schiaparelli shocking and piguet Baghari and Bandit).

Given the popularity and high ranking of neroli portifino at basenotes and fragrantica, I am reluctant to demote it based on my skin chemistry quirks. I am in agreement however with a basenotes reviewer that likened this to something dead; another stated it was something like A&D medicated ointment , and another said it was like sunscreen lotion. I also get a slight rubberized which is more plastic than camphorous. Reviewers below mention an aquatic note which is an accord I have avoided since I overdosed on davidoff cool water in the 1990s.

The neutral positive reviews likened it to 4711, a traditional citrus herbal cologne from 1790s ( perhaps one of the oldest fragrances still available) which I do enjoy much more and which is inexpensive. I would characterize neroli portifino as more of a floral citrus, closer in character, but not similar in scent, to Creed zesty mandarin pamplemousse than a straight citrus herbal cologne. ( actually, I think NP wants to be Creed Neroli Sauvage, a citric cologne with floral undertones and ambergris base, also outrageously priced, and I say this as a fan of Creed). In comparison to eau de Guerlain, EdG is more sweetened fizzy lemon on me; eau sauvage (modern reformulation) sweet lemon that all but disappears; and atelier cedreat enervant and orange sanguine, both juicy and ripe. In its favor, Neroli portifino does not go candied or lemon furniture polish on me (like eau de Hadrian), and the dry down is not atrocious when at wrist level where I can avoid the scent.

If I were to spend this kind of money on a citrus (and I can say definitively that I never would) I would probably prefer FM bigarade concentree (I have BC as part of an assorted coffret. BC does have a cumin note that others find problematic). I also am very fond of Hermes l'orange vert.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I tested this on a whim and was really disappointed by the quality of the scent considering the price. Upon first spritz, the perfume had an overpowering smell of zinc oxide - like diaper rash cream. Now I love Tom Ford and believe he can make anything sexy, but a fragrance reminiscent of diaper rash cream at this point isn't something I really want to spend 200+ on. It was utterly bizarre. Later the heart of the scent does develop a more sunny orange blossom overture, but the zinc cream smell still persists. I'm wondering if this is due to the fact I was using a tester bottle from a heavily trafficked Sephora, but there is something very mass market in this perfume that just rubs me the wrong way.

on 7/10/2014 12:01:00 PM

Great perfume for summertime. Light and aquatic. My husband loved it as well. Unfortunatelly, lasting power is too short (about 2 hrs on my skin) and, due to its price, I won't purchase this one.

on 6/29/2014 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Neroli Portofino is a summery, breezy scent that mentally takes me to a white sand beach. As others have noted, there is some citrus in here that is a little sweet, not tart, there are aquatic notes, and it seems kind of "green" too. This scent has zero lasting power on me. It lasts no more than an hour. And, it isn't a scent that is overly unique in my opinion-I feel as if I've smelled this scent several times before. It smells like the Crabtree & Evelyn store---I know I have smelled some soap product there that is just like this scent. Also, a long time ago, Love's Baby Soft made a version of their cologne called "Rain", if I remember correctly---it was kind of greenish-blue. This scent reminds me of that. Lastly, my mom, when she borrowed this from me and wore it, said it reminded her of Jean Nate. LOL, I see that someone else mentioned that in a review as well.

I have a nice collection of Tom Ford scents. Luckily this one is only a decant, because I would never buy it in full size, as it lacks the uniqueness and lasting power that other Tom Ford scents have---and it's expensive, for a scent that doesn't last on my skin. Of course, this is a summer scent. I suppose light and airy, which this perfume is, fits the bill perfectly for hot summer weather!

on 6/19/2014 10:30:00 PM

Love it. It's masculine and fresh but still warm and I feel sunny when I wear it. I like pairing it with Jo Malone Grapefruit for an energy boost.

on 4/13/2014 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Yeah, no. Boring citrus-aquatic, quickly turns very cheap-smelling. The price is shocking considering the product. Made to be office-safe, I take it. I LOVE TF fragrances; but this one is a huge miss. Fades fast but lingers as a hint of a skin scent.

Popular Fragrances