Estee Lauder Tom Ford - Black Orchid Voile de Fleur

3.8

on 7/28/2013 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

First of all Voile de Fleur has absolutely nothing in common with the original Black Orchid; they are both deep and intoxicating but that's all.
While the original is more creative and harder to wear with the thick dark chocolate, patchouli, incense, truffle and a base heavy on the vetiver, Voile de Fleur is much softer, a luscious bouquet of slightly indolic white flowers without dramatic changes towards the drydown.

Consists mainly of indolic white flowers (mostly honeysuckle on me) and gardenia, lily, ylang ylang and plums. There are some typically oriental notes as well like sandalwood, resins and spices. That's probably why I like it - and I'm not a floral lover. It also has a creamy quality that compliments the buttery gardenia nicely. It's on the strong side and longlasting. And of course the bottle is sleek and classy.

I can see Voile de Fleur working very well during warm summer evenings when the honeysuckle blooms naturally. It smells retro and contemporary at the same time, very feminine. That's the one I would wear on a cloudy winter day with a gray tweed pencil skirt and white silk blouse to watch Vertigo again. Lovely.

A big bouquet of white flowers, mainly tuberose, plus some gardenia, with a strong toffee note from top to down. It's heady at the start but melts well on my skin. Simply lovely.

To Read all 26 Reviews, Login or Join

I bought this online thinking it was the BO and frantically looked on here etc for reviews comparing BO and VdF edt wondering if I'd made a big booboo. Actually I'm surpised, I like both but are definitely different. The VdF is a pungent blast of florals, it possesses an old school 30's charm (not old lady tho, no sireee) such as Fracas, Songes, and L'artisan's Tubereuse also comes to mind. It feels friendlier and more indulgent than those others to me. VdF dries down to what I hoped AG Songes would be, Songes has a headachy note which I cant bear after a while although on paper I love the chorus of flowers. VdF is a less intense version of that with a hint of the signature BO.

on 7/14/2010 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I give it to my younger sister because I absolutely hate the gardenia and honeysuckle scents in Voile de Fleur.

I really prefer the original Black Orchid!

Its loud and proud really, it pretty much screams look at me! It feels very eighties to me, like the cast of dynasty would be wearing it!
Its very well done, a very sophisticated floral but its too much for me too perfumey.

on 12/19/2009 10:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Definitely a strong and "musty" fragrance, although it is an edt.It is supposed to be a floral but, it is not sweet and fresh but warm and "dirty". Very complex and sophisticated, definitely not a "girly" scent. I think it is mainly a winter fragrance and can be worn night and day (lightly) and certainly gives a sexy vibe. Staying power is relatively good. Compared to the original Black Orchid ( which I love), it is lighter and easier to wear, though the similarities are pretty strong. Currently contemplating about buying a full bottle.

on 7/27/2009 11:39:00 AM

I only tried this once and I haven't had the money to buy it yet. But I really like it. It smells 'expensive', 'glamourous' and 'loud'. I wish the flower notes were less. But I definitely like the whole composition, especially later when the flower notes have faded somewhat. It's not for everyday wear and not if you want to go unnoticed. I was with a male friend when I tried it and he liked it, too. The base is so rich and sweet. Kind of like 'sticky' sweet, but that's the best thing about it. : )
I've not tried Black Orchid so I don't know if that would be even more my cup of tea, though I heard that the two don't have much in common.

on 5/16/2009 7:37:00 PM

I will give this 5 stars.
I am not usually a gardenia/orchid and tuberose lover but I allowed myself to spray liberally (not good, very sickly sweet floral) and waited. after awhile i felt the warmth of the fragrance and the genious behind the compilation. It enveloped me in a warm, but sexy embrace.
it is not a scent I will wear every day, but what one is?

on 4/15/2009 8:12:00 PM

This is heavy on the Gardenia and Honeysuckle notes. Imo this is much heavier than black orchid. Though I prefer BO to VDF I do like The more floral notes I get from VDF. Would be nice to wear on certain occasions but I don't know if my office could handle this one, but I will give it a try, b/c I wear whatever I want anyway!

Voile de Fleur (VdF because I'm lazy) is the pretty kind of sexy. She blushes, look downward, and touches the back of her neck. Crisp white florals, without the headiness you'd expect, but not cold either. The florals are layered over a warm, comfy base. Just interesting enough with dark fruits and truffle, without annoying or offending most other people.

But, why does this share a name with the original Black Orchid? They are quite different, but do seem to share a similar dark weirdness that is more pronounced in the original. Maybe the original Black Orchid is the alter ego of VdF. You think she's a VdF kind of girl in a pressed, floral skirt, but lurking within is the voluptuously debauched bad girl of the original Black Orchid. I wear this often, day or night.

Popular Fragrances