MAC Matte - Embark

MAC Matte - Embark

4.3

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, [ /- Silica, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Red 40 Lake, Ultramarines, Yellow 5 Lake]

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is an essential dark warm/purplish brown. The shade is very versatile. It works with just about any look. But I give this shadow a 4 because of texture issues. MAC mattes can be spotty texture wise, and this isn't the worst but it's definitely at the bottom end. It's a bit dry and patchy. You really have to build it up. On one hand, the texture makes it so you can slowly build it up but it can also be patchy to blend. I actually wonder if MAC purposely makes its darker matte shadows like this so you can build them up carefully because Carbon and Plumage have the same texture. If I could find a good dupe I'd probably use it. Anastasia Fudge is a good dark brown, but it's not as purple. And I don't like Makeup Geek textures (too powdery and waxy) otherwise I'd try Americano or Cherry Cola.

on 10/29/2015 3:13:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I really love Embark. It is very pigmented and I use it to create definition and also its great when used as an eyeliner. The staying power is also very exceptionally excellent! I would recommend this to anyone!

To Read all 175 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/29/2015 10:28:00 PM

I did a ton of research before I bought some eye shadows for my Z palette, yet somehow I wound up with Embark. I was looking for a very dark brown. Embark is described on the MAC website as an intense reddish brown, but on me, it looks like a very dark purple. It reminds me of Sketch, which I don't like either. This shadow is very dry and extremely difficult to blend. I basically have to dot it on in little bits at a time, and then blend it carefully, and even after putting quite a bit of effort into getting it to look good, I still never feel like the result is great.

on 5/21/2015 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Beautiful brown colour that goes very well with my chocolate/caramel skin. Very pigmented and does last for a long time. Great as a transitional colour too.However I am not impressed with the price. I bought it as a refill pan and its 10. Ridiculous but I could not resist. I do think there are many cheaper alternatives to this eyeshadow.

on 3/19/2015 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have had Embark for many years and have used it as an accent color on the outer corner of the eye and as an eyeliner on the upper lid. Now for the news flash ( well at least for me) this works so well on my dark brown brows and the reasons are as follows : tremendous staying power, the purple/violet tone of this brown appears cool rather than ashy. I use this at the base of the brow and and also to extend the length as I have about three hairs on my 'tails' . I use a light touch and a thickish angled liner brush. I finish the look off with Anastasia tinted brow gel in brunette. Armani Brow Maestro in #2 Wenge Wood is still my favorite but when time is of the essence having a powder saves precious time.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I love this color. It is great for all eye colors, and it is amazing for green or blue eyes. It is a deep brown with reddish purple undertones. I actually use this as a liner and it is perfect. It stays all day and smokes out nicely.

on 5/10/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

LOVE LOVE LOVE! gorgeous dark brown with a purple undertone. This is one of mac's darkest browns I believe. Pigmented and lasts. Used this for my prom for a unique smokey eye with silver ring and newly minted. I also love this in the crease with let me pop paint pot on the lid. It just looks so effortlessly beautiful. Packaging is good, love all of Mac's eyeshadows bc it snaps shut and you can see the color through the lid. Costs $15

on 3/12/2014 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I really like this colour and formula. Its a new purchase and i use it last on the outer corner of my eye and lower lash line, first i apply painterly paint pot and then apply soft brown in the crease, all that glitters on the lid and then embark to add definition. It really makes a difference and can be built up for a brown smokey eye look for night or kept natural for day. It is a red brown which looks different on the skin because it translates to a chocolate brown. If applying chocolate brown on the skin it looks black so opt for a red brown if your wanting the colour pay off to look brown. I would repurchase when i run out! I would be interested in getting it in a pro palette next time rather than individually

on 2/22/2014 10:01:00 PM

Love this dark and deep brown! Very sexy and very deep. Although I always considered it to have a somewhat reddish undertone as another review pointed out, it's really a cooler or purple undertone and I think that is what makes this such a lush vampy but still totally appropriate for day look. Very nicely pigmented and blendable. I will wear this alone for a daytime look or will use it to create a more smoky effect with other shadows.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

'Embark' is a deep almost burgundy brown with a Matte finish. I love to use this in the crease, outer v or on my bottom lash line to deepen up a look.

It's a perfect dark matte brown for creating a more 'smoky' effect. It is decently pigmented but I have used better matte shadows than this one which needs a bit more 'pressure' with my brush to pick up strong colour payoff. It also comes off quite cool toned, almost purple which compliments my brown eyes nicely. Nice eye shadows, I would recommend.