Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre Natural Finish Loose Powder

Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre Natural Finish Loose Powder

4.5

Talc,Nylon-12,Silica,Lauroyl lysine,Magnesium Myristate,Boron Nitride,Phenyl Trimethicone,Aluminum hydroxide,Potassium Sorbate,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Parfum,CI 77007,CI 77491,CI 77499,CI 77891,Mica

on 1/26/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had to laugh at myself: $52 on loose powder, when I've got dry, fine-textured skin and rarely wear foundation. Did I need this? Did I need T. LeClerc, or Shu Uemura, or Caron, or Kevyn Aucoin, for that matter?

Then, somewhat to my astonishment, I found myself reaching for it every day. The powder is milled so extraordinarily fine it's quite invisible on the skin. There's no coverage. Instead, the powder is purely light-reflective, blurring over minute textural imperfections such as fine lines and pores while adding an incredible luminosity to the skin. In the vein of Touche Eclat, the base has milky peachy-pink tones, just enough to brighten sallow, tired skin, irradiated with imperceptible silver iridescence. In particular, this picks up beautifully under flash photography; it enhances the natural inner glow of the skin while muting shine, though this is not the powder to blot oil, by any means. I'd recommend this primarily for dry, mature, or dull skin.

on 10/16/2010 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a nice powder, and is finely milled.

IT IS good for setting foundation, however, I do find the sparkles to be noticeable and I don't like that. Someone once said to me "you're sparkly" and that felt pretty embarrassing as I go for a pretty natural look most of the time.

I use this mainly in evenings or in situations when I don't care if I look a tad sparkly.

I prefer mac prep and prime or a loose mineral setting powder that doesn't have visible sparkles

You don't need this product, you can use any powder

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I resurrected this powder from my "unactive" drawer when a review popped up and reminded me of this hidden gem I have. I moved it on only because I started to use Bobbi Brown skin foundation in warm sand and I went for her matching powder. Bad move. The BB powder isn't good at all and it deposits another layer of yellow tones on my neutral skin. The Chanel powder is Clair and it performs remarkably well and I wasn't necessarily thinking of powder in terms of performance, just finish. My makeup looks fresh all day and the colour is much more natural than with both BB products. If you are neutral, rather than look for a neutral foundation and drive yourself crazy, get a warm foundation and use a cooler powder over it. The effect is really terrific. When you anchor your makeup in an exact match foundation, you can do more with other makeup and not look over done. Fortunately this jar of Chanel is full so I will be in business for a long time. In any case, stay away from the BB powder.

on 6/19/2013 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was in the market for a new powder (I've been using MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder), and I'd read so many positive things about this powder I figured if it got such glowing reviews I would be willing to give it a try - and I'm glad I did!

I bought this powder in Clair 20 which I found perfectly matches my skin tone, it is extremely fine in texture, absolutely gorgeous Chanel packaging although the pot is MASSIVE. For me, this doesn't really matter as I don't cart any makeup around with me during the day, although if you are inclined to reapply this might present a problem...

I'm not a massive fan of the puff applicator the pot comes with - I prefer applying with a brush, but that's an easy enough change to make. The powder itself is AMAZING: I find it just sets my foundation perfectly, gives a flawless yet natural look, has an extremely gentle and light smell (almost like an "unscented" lotion), and is wonderfully long wearing all the while maintaining a natural look.

I had a particularly gruelling shift at work where I was literally running around sweating like crazy, but my makeup continued to look amazing!

This is an absolutely stunning powder, better than the ones I've used (Bare Minerals, MAC) by miles, and although slightly expensive is definitely worth the price tag.

UPDATE: I've been using this powder for a while now, and I find it works even better the less makeup you have under it. I'm finding it looks best over "bare" skin (in my case, over a primer and a little concealer here and there). I does SOMETIMES get a little shiny (I'm talking after the better part of a day's wear, around 10 hours) and emphasise the pores on and around my nose and cheeks. Over all though I am still absolutely loving this gorgeous powder, and will definitely re-purchase when the time comes!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

SKIN TYPE: Combination leaning dry, NC20
CHANEL POUDRE SHADE: Clair 020

I picked this up duty-free for around 25 making it terrific value. The pot is very large, containing 30g/1oz of product and I'm sure it's going to last for at least a year. You only need a very small amount of product to set your foundation.

My current HG foundation is Chanel Vitalumiere in 020 Clair, so finding a match in the Poudre was very simple. The colours follow Chanel's usual system of number and names. Clair is quite neutral. Many foundations and powders are too yellow on my skin and very cool, pink tones make me look ashy, so finding this match was a relief. It works well on a range of skintones, in my opinion. It's light and fine enough to suit a NC15 and perfect on my NC20 skin.

The powder itself is incredibly finely milled and applies very sheerly. For this reason I wouldn't recommend it as a light foundation: the coverage is very light indeed. However, as a setting powder over foundation, TM or even just primer, it works wonders. Chanel describes the powder as having a satin finish. They claim the same for the Vitalumiere liquid but the finishes aren't comparable. The powder is more of a velvet finish: definitely not matte, but nowhere near as glowy as Vitalumiere. Ideal for a setting powder, as it doesn't make your foundation look flat. Vitalumiere still looks radiant - the powder doesn't kill the finish.

The pot, as mentioned, is very large and solid. There is no sliding lid to cover the sieve, so it's not ideal for travelling (but is, I believe, available in a pressed version for this purpose). The puff is very usable, unlike the included applicator for many other products. I've found the best way to apply is to tilt the pot slightly, tap it once or twice to dispense a little powder, and scoop it up. Seems obvious but took me a while to get the hang of it without spilling the stuff everywhere...

Will definitely be buying again. Despite having dry skin, I haven't found this powder drying (unlike other reviewers). Perhaps this is down to using it over a dewy foundation - it might be a little too powdery on top of a matte one.

on 8/23/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought the Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre Natural Finish Loose Powder in 30 Natural and it is a good colour for me. It does look a little lighter than my skin tone but the deeper shade wouldn't match well. This applies really sheer.

The powder is so finely milled and it feels really light on the skin. This is a really mattifying powder for me surprisingly and I have extremely oily skin. I dont think I got a natural finish from this but more of a semi-matte finish and it would look a little flat so some contouring is needed to bring back dimension to the face. I'm not sure if it controls oil or not but it definitely absorbs them well upon application. If you pair this with Estee Lauder Double Wear you'll get a super combo against greasy disco ball face. When I tested this out for the first couple of days, I tried layering it on to get rid of some oiliness throughout the day and it didn't look too cakey but have the potential to be if applied heavy handedly. Since I normally don't carry this around with me I only apply it when I put on makeup before going out and use blotting paper when I get oily in the middle of the day as I usually would. It held well for three hours on bare face and four hours on top of Double Wear. Also, I wear this sometimes on its own regardless of the non-existing coverage. I notice that it blurs out pores a little bit. Just a little.

You don't need to use a lot of this so I feel like this loose powder would last for a long time since it has 30g of product. Other people might disagree but I'm upset that the container isn't as fancy or luxurious as I hoped it would be especially for the price I spent on it. I think Givenchy Libre Prism looks better in comparison but that's just my thoughts. The Chanel logo saved it though. The container is made out of high quality plastic (I think?), is strongly built and light to hold. I don't carry loose powder with me and leave it on the vanity table although I know other people might prefer otherwise. I just think carrying a loose powder regardless of brand and packaging in your handbag would result to a total mess. Opt for a compact version instead.

Other than that, it didn't break me out but I always make sure to wash my face carefully. I hate scented face products but I dont feel bothered at all while wearing this so it must be lightly scented. Others with dry sensitive skin might experience it differently. I also like the puff that it comes with but it gets dirty so easily and is hard to get rid of the colour stain (I think more from the foundation I use more than the actual product). I apply the powder initially with the puff by tipping the container upside down with the puff covering the holes, tap twice and then take the puff pressing it on my face. I then brush the excess off with a fluffy brush. I do recommend not taking off the sticker and poking the holes with a clean needle if you want to have better control of the product.

Overall, I love it and would repurchase but I'd rather try other loose powders since the price is really damaging to the purse. But still, it is an excellent loose powder!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Im on my 2nd pot in 8 yrs now.
I use clair on my nw15 skin.
I reuse the puff that comes with the pot untill its washed out.
Then ask for replacements from the chanel counter for free.
IT leaves my skin oilfree and adds a little colour.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

This is the only powder I will ever use when it comes to setting my whole face. It's amazing and it's perfect for a person like me, who suffers from dry skin, loves being dewy and having a glow and dont want to become too matte or powdery by any means.

I will adress that this is surely an investment - the price is surely not what you could wish for it to be it - it is preeeeetty darn pricey, but with that said, you do get quite a lot of product and a cute little chanel powder puff with too for that matter! Plus that this powder will for sure last you a loooong time, as you do not need a whole lot and there's a great amount of it in the jar, which is of course a very wonderful thing! You DEFINITELY get what you pay for in this product, but you do need to be willing to splurge a little bit, I gotta say.

This powder is extremely finely milled and pretty much feels like silk gliding over your skin. The scent it slighty floral and it's actually a pretty nice scent and I dont mind it, even though I wouldn't mind if it wasn't there either. I am pretty sure that there is not enough fragrance/perfume in this to severely irritate your face and skin, but of course that's something you have to try and find out yourself.

I like to apply all my makeup first and then finish off with this as the very last thing. When you've let your makeup melt into your skin a little first, this powder wont camouflage either a natural glow or a glow you've created with products such as highlighter, foundation etc. and I love that. It doesn't make you COMPLETELY matte at all which i enjoy a lot, even though it still does a very good job at taking shine away throughout the day, but it doesn't make you look dead or too powdery/matte when you do it for that purpose either. Loving it.

I love to use this to set my undereye concealer as well, as it feels very light under your eyes and it doesn't make it cakey or too much because this powder is so finely milled and lightweight and natural looking on the skin.

I use the shade 20 Clair - Translucent on my fair to medium skin and indeed, it is translucent which also makes it very natural and doesn't overpower your face or make it seem like you have another layer of face makeup on, but keeps your natural glow as said earlier in this review.

I do struggle with dry to very dry skin from time to time sad mentioned at first in this review and i usually hate powders, both because they do not help on my dry skin but also because I hate being matte and not looking dewy/having a glow - but this powder i absolutely LOVE and if this powder did not exist, I probably wouldn't even use a powder!

It comes in a big, fancy glass jar with a lid on top. There's a powder puff coming with it and it's actually not bad! You can easily use it, if that's what you wish for. It has small little holes for the powder to come out, but if you dont like too much powder coming out/feel like you're wasting a lot by letting all the little holes be free, you can keep the piece of plastic there's on top of it and only reveal a few holes to be free, so you can control the amount of powder much better. This isn't the best packaging ever for traveling, but it does look VERY fancy on the vanity and so on! Very luxury and nice looking for sure.

I will keep purchasing this powder forever, regardless of the price. It's amazing and I would definitely recommend it.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is what loose setting powder should be. I've used this for years - I've tried MANY many brands, but always come back to this for the beauty of the finish.
It doesn't blot all day, as you get older, you have to watch how much you apply, but at age 59 this one is still working for me as others have fallen by the wayside because of how they emphasis lines. This WILL, but is much less likely to do so if applied judiciously.
Its smells wonderful, is very expensive, but a little goes a long way and you get a good bit of powder.

on 1/4/2014 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I bought this powder some time last year. I have been using it almost daily since that time. I really do like this powder and you get a lot of product, but I can't really say that it is so much better than other loose powders. I don't think I will be buying this again. $52 for a loose powder. Really? I bought this on the recommendation of a youtube guru that I like. I love the Chanel container and I display it on my vanity. But next time I'll probably buy a different powder and put it the Chanel container. :) If I change my mind later and decide that this is the most amazing powder ever, I'll edit this review accordingly. But right now I have to say that I won't be spending $52 on another loose powder. I would much rather save my money for the Naked 3!

It's now a year later. I finished this powder a couple of months ago and now I am really sad. This powder never let me down. I used it daily and never had cakieness. I tried all the powders I currently own and bought a couple new ones. Nothing compares. Not sure when I'm going to have over $50 to spend on a face powder but I know it's just a matter of time. I loved this powder that much.