MAC Cosmetics #183 flat buffer brush ] [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
No Image

3.7

Like many other reviewers, I purchased this brush at my local CCO (this review is a bit delayed; I think I purchased it in April 2010). I feel that it has been discontinued due to the fact that there are better buffing/kabuki brushes available from MAC that you can use to apply or buff powder/mineral makeup (such as the MAC 181 [which i prefer] or the 182). This is a nice brush to have but it is not a necessity. Nevertheless, since its so difficult to find, I would recommend picking it up if you can find it at a CCO, especially if you are a loyal MAC user or a fan of collecting brushes in general.
To address some specifics:
1. Size and shape: My main problem with this brush is that I find it a little too large for comfortable use. I prefer brushes that are a bit smaller so I reach for my MAC 181 over this one to apply powder products. Also, because of its flat-top shape, it is a bit awkward for applying powder products to the crevices of your face. On the other hand, the shape actually makes it nicer for buffing out the edges of your bronzer/blush/highlighter, rather than the actual application of products. For that reason, I always finish "putting on my face" by sweeping over my face with this brush to get rid of any obvious lines of demarcation.
2. Quality: This brush, like most of its MAC cousins, is amazingly soft and excellent quality. It is made of white bristles, which I believe are goat hair. It is not scratchy at all and I have had no shedding. After washing, the brush bristles tend to splay out in a wide shape, so I use a brush guard or the plastic sleeve that it came with to reshape it into a more narrow circumference.
3. THE SMELL: Oh my GOD. Like most of the reviewers have mentioned, this brush has a horrible smell. I've never had a brush that smelled so awful in my life. This is the reason that it took me so long to write a proper review; I rarely used this when I first got it because it literally smelled like something had crawled into the brush and died in it. I was going to use Enkore's deodorizing trick but I was too lazy to buy the necessary materials and I found a much easier and equally effective way to neutralize the horrible stench. I kept the plastic container that the brush came in and I stuck the brush back in it. Then, I applied a generous slathering of scented antibacterial hand sanitizer (I used Bath and Body Works apple scented one) to the inside of the lid of the plastic container and left the brush closed in there for a day. Make sure to not put so much sanitizer that it drips onto the brush, as the alcohol in the sanitizer is not good for the natural hairs. Anyway, I did this for about 3 days and within that time, the smell gradually but completely went away. Try this trick if you have a problem with the smell, it really works!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I like this brush for powders or minerals. It makes application flawless. A little pricey but worth it.

I bought this brush at a CCO. It smelled like a dead rat had died in it. Simply disgusting. I had washed it with brush cleaner no less than 10 times.
I looked up on youtube and Enkore had a deodorizing solution video. Vinegar, Fabric Softner, Water and Baking Soda. 5 min later, MIRACLE! Smells fresh, the dead rat has left.

The brush is good quality, doesn't shed. I use it for bare mineral days (when I don't wanna wear much foundation)
So yeah, if you get this brush and it stinks. Make the lil concoction, it works!

on 10/25/2009 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this brush from the CCO, after losing my first 183. The brush is very soft and versatile. It can be used to apply powders, or liquid foundation., One thing I would recommend is to seriously wash this in baby shampoo before use, It shed when I washed it at first then I didn't have shedding problems after that. I also kept the case which I do for most of my kabuki brushes so the shape can be maintained. I prefer my 180 much better than the 183, I guess I would get this again if I had to..

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I've had the 183 brush for months and I am VERY pleased with it. It is made of wonderfully soft goat hair. It is my HG for powder application!

My technique for use is to get the product (I use L'Oreal's True Match Super Blendable Powder in C6) on the brush and "pound" into the face in a "stippling" motion to set my foundation; I'm buffing it in.

I had quite a bit of shedding when I first got this brush; I pulled out hairs for weeks! After a few washings, I no longer have this problem. Also, I never had an odor issue with this brush, unless it was wet or damp from washing. I no longer have a problem with smell even when wet either.

This brush is beautifully soft and very good at what it does; I would recommend you searching it out at a CCO, since it is discontinued, because it is a great way to quickly apply powder to the face.

on 5/1/2009 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

so the 183 is the softer, less dense version of the 180( holy grail for liquid foundation). i bought two 183's when i found out the 180 as no longer available. to be honest i have not used it that much until recently because my 180 is superior to it. i recently
re-discovered my 183 because i have switched to Bobbi Brown's new skin foundation( it's so weightless and natural looking) and my 180 brush practically buffs all of the foundation OFF my face, i literally have to use three times the amount of foundation for it to even show up. i was contemplating buying Bobbi Brows foundation brush until i remembered that i have a trusty 183, so i tried it and perfection. so my honest opinion is, if you can still find a 180 go for it, actually go for three, but if you have no such luck get a 183. if you use a really light weight foundation get the 183 because the 180 will make it vanish before your eyes.

on 4/10/2009 3:42:00 PM

This is one of my favorite brushes from MAC. It is limited edition but some stores may still carry this, as well as the CCO's. It is super soft and it is amazing at buffing out powder foundation. It gives me an air brushed look. I use it with my MAC Studio Fix Powder. It does shed a bit, but not as much as my 109 or 187. And it did start to splay, but to fix that, I just keep it in that little plastic container that it came with and it helps it keep it's shape. So do not throw the plastic container away! :)

on 3/25/2009 7:37:00 PM

I bought this brush from my local CCO. The brush is very soft and versatile. It can be used to apply mineral make up, powders, or liquid foundation. I found that this brush makes make up application very easy. It really buffs in the make up to give a flawless finish. Also, this brush drys rather quickly after washing it unlike other kabuki brushes. Highly recommended.

Tips:
1. Wash the brush with shampoo before using it.
2. Keep the original plastic case that it comes in with and put the brush into the casing when it's not in use to maintain it's shape.

I bought this brush at the CCO for $28 and I can not get the horrible smell out of the brush! I have tried brush cleaner, neutragena face cleanser, and even rubbing alcohol. I have several MAC brushes and never had this problem. I am sure this is an awesome brush but can't get over the musty plastic smell. If you pick one up at a CCO make sure to open the package before walking out of store with the brush.

on 1/20/2009 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite brush ever! I use it to apply my foundation (MSF natural) and it buffs it in like a dream. Plus, it's super soft! I was previously using a coastal scents buffer brush (which did the job, but was by no means anywhere near as soft as the 183) but after washing it, it smelled horrible so I decided it was time for an upgrade. I am so happy I got this brush. I would recommend this brush to anyone who is looking for a great flat top buffer brush. It's amazing :)

Popular Makeup Brushes