MAC Cosmetics #183 flat buffer brush ] [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Other
No Image

4.3

Like many other reviewers, I purchased this brush at my local CCO (this review is a bit delayed; I think I purchased it in April 2010). I feel that it has been discontinued due to the fact that there are better buffing/kabuki brushes available from MAC that you can use to apply or buff powder/mineral makeup (such as the MAC 181 [which i prefer] or the 182). This is a nice brush to have but it is not a necessity. Nevertheless, since its so difficult to find, I would recommend picking it up if you can find it at a CCO, especially if you are a loyal MAC user or a fan of collecting brushes in general.
To address some specifics:
1. Size and shape: My main problem with this brush is that I find it a little too large for comfortable use. I prefer brushes that are a bit smaller so I reach for my MAC 181 over this one to apply powder products. Also, because of its flat-top shape, it is a bit awkward for applying powder products to the crevices of your face. On the other hand, the shape actually makes it nicer for buffing out the edges of your bronzer/blush/highlighter, rather than the actual application of products. For that reason, I always finish "putting on my face" by sweeping over my face with this brush to get rid of any obvious lines of demarcation.
2. Quality: This brush, like most of its MAC cousins, is amazingly soft and excellent quality. It is made of white bristles, which I believe are goat hair. It is not scratchy at all and I have had no shedding. After washing, the brush bristles tend to splay out in a wide shape, so I use a brush guard or the plastic sleeve that it came with to reshape it into a more narrow circumference.
3. THE SMELL: Oh my GOD. Like most of the reviewers have mentioned, this brush has a horrible smell. I've never had a brush that smelled so awful in my life. This is the reason that it took me so long to write a proper review; I rarely used this when I first got it because it literally smelled like something had crawled into the brush and died in it. I was going to use Enkore's deodorizing trick but I was too lazy to buy the necessary materials and I found a much easier and equally effective way to neutralize the horrible stench. I kept the plastic container that the brush came in and I stuck the brush back in it. Then, I applied a generous slathering of scented antibacterial hand sanitizer (I used Bath and Body Works apple scented one) to the inside of the lid of the plastic container and left the brush closed in there for a day. Make sure to not put so much sanitizer that it drips onto the brush, as the alcohol in the sanitizer is not good for the natural hairs. Anyway, I did this for about 3 days and within that time, the smell gradually but completely went away. Try this trick if you have a problem with the smell, it really works!

on 12/30/2008 4:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The MAC 183 is no longer being sold from what I heard and I checked their website. This flat top kabuki is white goat hair. It is AMAZING. I reach for this brush constantly, I wish I had two so that when I am washing one I have a clean dry one waiting for me. The brush is thick and filled with goat hair. They were not stingy when they constructed the brush. I did not have a problem with shedding at all. One drawback is that it takes a long time to dry after washing. Between 1-2 days in the winter. The brush picks up alot of pigment and buffs the product into the skin to give a flawless airbrushed look.

It is so sad they don't make this brush anymore, they have replaced it with a kabuki that takes so many layers of buffing to get the same look. If you goto Youtube you can see a comparison between the two....

Great brush - I use it for mineralized skin finish natural. It provides more coverage than the 184(?) - MAC round buki brush.

Wish it wasn't a limited edition.

Popular Makeup Brushes