MAC #168 Large Angled Contour Brush

4.4

white goat hair bristles

on 6/4/2016 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best brush for contour. For a long time, I was having a really hard time finding a contour brush that I love and can't not use. I was constantly replacing/exchanging the ones I was buying because it was just not working for me. I got last years holiday collection brush set (2 of them) and one of the sets included the 168, and boy did I fall in love! It's very soft and not too big so it fits well, but not too small so it doesn't pack on too much. I recently purchased the full size so that I can leave the travel size in my travel makeup brush case. I was actually worried it would be scratchy when I placed my order (for the holiday brush sets,) but was pleasantly surprised at how soft all the brushes were! Blends contour like a dream. This can easily be used for blush as well, however I like a slightly bigger brush as this blush will be too pigmented (for me, I like a barely there blush look) with blush. But I like a strong contour! Wishing mac brushes were cheaper, that's is the ONLY downside to this brush, well all mac brushes. Which is why I currently own 2 brush sets, and one is on it's way, it's such a better deal.

on 5/7/2016 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have a very mixed opinion about this brush. Picked this up after returning my 163 brush whose metal edges scratch my face while contouring. And I've heard several people recommending this shape of angled brush for contouring instead, and this brush is precise enough to get the job done.

Loved to use it with Bahama mama ever since the first try. But now that I've been using it for a month, I've noticed that it starts losing its shape if it's not often washed and put in brush guard. I don't even press it very hard while contouring. Just a slight number 3 sweeping motions.

However I've noticed only minimal shedding. Would always repurchase if there's no better alternative.

To Read all 258 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/2/2016 3:48:00 AM

Adore this one.soft.versarile.use it to apply powder all over the face.and to apply bronzer.and for blush.cleanse super easily and doesn t shed at all.amazing

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I actually bought another one of these brushes just so that I wouldn't be without it... EVER. I love using this in the hollow of my cheeks to get that contoured, sculpted look. I find MAC's brushes to be hit and miss and this one is a must-have. It washes well and dries back to it's original shape.

on 12/29/2015 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I thought I was the only person in the world that really was not a fan of this brush. After gently washing the brush no more than two times it just didn't retain it's shape (whereas every my other 10 MAC brushes did just fine).

There were stray hairs everywhere. I completely agree with everyone that writes that this doesn't pick up colour evenly and doesn't distribute it well.

I was/still am, a little but confused because this is one of MAC's most popular brushes.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The #168 brush is hands down my favorite "face" brush. I'm one who doesn't mind spending money on good quality brushes and this brush is worth every penny. Great for contouring , all over bronzing and blush. You could really sculpt out your face without having harsh lines. Before this brush I would use 3 different brushes for blush, contour and bronzer, but now all I use is the 168. I've deep clean this brush countless times and spot clean it everyday and I haven't notice shedding or it losing it's shape. Worth every penny!!

on 8/5/2015 4:50:00 PM

When I used this brush I could almost hear the angels sing! I first used it for contour and it's ideal, the perfect size, basically does all of the work for you! It's soft and so easy to use-I was sceptical about the ease of use initially! I then used it for blush and highlight, loved it for those purposes too! The only thing I would say is be careful after washing the brush, sculpt it or use a brush guard so that it doesn't lose it's shape, the first time I cleaned it I made the mistake of not using a brush guard and it seemed to splay a little and-I don't even know how to describe it-got bigger I guess! But overall love love LOVE

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Update: As excited as I was for this brush, within a few weeks I found the application to be patchy, streaky, and inconsistent. Funny enough, I purchased the #116 - I got a great one and am much happier. Perhaps this is better for contouring, than for blush.

I've tried the #116, which while I loved the shape and size, it was not soft enough, and with my sensitive skin, was making little marks on my face. Plus, with the pigment in most blushes these days, it created too much definition. I've also tried the stippling brushes, and to me, it was too much work to get enough product on my cheeks, as well as, I always had streaking. I've stayed away from this one, because I'm not a fan of an angled brush for blush, but the softness and size, was what I was looking for, so I broke down and bought it. I have to say, I am quite pleased with this brush for blush. The angle is a non-issue, I don't even pay attention to whether it's up. down, or sideways, but the softness and density for blush, is perfection. It's made putting on blush, so much easier and it looks great all the time, instead of every once in awhile. I see that some reviewers say it can get rough over time, but I've never had an issue with my brushes drying out or getting rougher. If you use cleaners that have alcohol or clarifying ingredients to clean your brushes, you might try a little conditioner or a little light oil every once in a while to moisturize them. Even if you think a brush is beyond hope, work some oil into it, let it sit for a bit (just like you would your hair) and then give it a light shampoo - you never know, it might bring it back to life.

I use this as a highlighter brush, but its versatile. Good quality, I haven't noticed any shedding.

on 12/26/2014 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This brush is AMAZING. Definitely the most useful brush in my whole collection. It really works to contour your cheeks no matter what product you're using. You barely have to do any work, it does it for you!! Must have for beauty gurus.

Popular Makeup Brushes