EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40

EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40
UV Daily SPF 40UV Daily SPF 40UV Daily SPF 40

4.3

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9.0%, Octinoxate 7.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Diethanolamine, Cetyl Phosphate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Hyaluronic Acid, Squalane, Polyether-1, Triethanolamine, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate, Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

This sunscreen is a 10/10 in every category for me. I had a lot of trouble finding a sunscreen that wouldn't pill up when worn under makeup, but this one applies well and soaks into skin quickly. I have allergic reactions to many products (even those formulated for sensitive skin,) and I had no reaction to this.

The pump dispenser works well, it's reasonably priced, and I haven't had any sunburns or new freckles since using this. I will definitely repurchase!

on 2/2/2018 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a fantastic sunscreen. I have tried many to find the one that really suits my skin. It was important to me that it would wear well under make up and that it wasn't greasy. I have had a few recently that I feel have caused milia on my cheeks but this does not do that at all. I'm so impressed with the consistency of this, I've ordered a couple more as back ups.

on 9/26/2017 1:01:00 PM

This is my favorite daily sunscreen, hands down.

Price: I bought this with a coupon code form Derm Store; I think I paid ~$32 for the 1.7oz airless pump bottle

Packaging: I love the Elta MD pump--it is so easy to dispense as little or as much as needed. It travels well and is air tight.

Product: I confess that it took me far too long to get into the routine of using a daily sunscreen, and when I did, I really wanted to find something with a tint so that in the summer (I work in education), when I didn't have to report to work every day, I could throw it on and have it suffice as makeup. I've reviewed Clinique's City Block and a few others, but this by far is my absolute favorite and EltaMD deserves all of the credit in the world for this product's formulation.

Unlike most tinted sunscreens I have tried, this is neither smelly, nor watery, nor gloppy, nor squirts out a giant bubble of oil before you get to the product. It doesn't leave a cast on my skin or dry me out. It pumps smoothly and easily, spreads like a dream and disappears completely into my skin with no shine, oiliness or pilling. I apply my daily moisturizer each morning (CeraVe cream), wait about 5 minutes, put this on, wait another five minutes, and my foundation applies without a hitch. I should also mention that it does exactly what it's supposed to do--protects my skin from the sun.

For those who are on trying to narrow down EltaMD's line, my introduction to their products came via UV Clear (in both the tinted / untinted formulations) and that is also an excellent product, well worth the money, same pump, same effectiveness in sunscreen, same application. For some reason though, I found that for me, 1-UV Daily tinted gave slightly better coverage and 2-my need for an acne-friendly product was somewhat negated following a trip to the dermatologist who got my skin issues under control with medication.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Those who have fair skin, avoid the tinted version of this sunblock as it can give a dark yellow tint to your skin.
The formula is also very greasy. So if your skin is oily/combination, you will not like it.

on 12/6/2016 4:43:00 PM

I love this sunblock!! I got the TINTED version because clear sunblocks leaves a white-ish coat on my face. Absorbs beautifully without a greasy feeling. I apply it under my foundation every day.

I suffer from melasma so this past few year I've been researching and trying all sorts of sunblocks. I found this sunscreen while researching sunblocks for melasma and found great reviews all over the internet on this product.

I decided to get this product for the following reasons:
- Tinted: so it doesn't leave a white residue
- Hi SPF 40
- Physical containing 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
- UVA/UVB sun protection,

For those of you that don't know, there are two types of sunscreens out there: Chemical and Physical.

Physical sunscreens contain active mineral ingredients (this one has zinc oxide), which work by sitting on top of the skin to deflect and scatter damaging UV rays away from the skin.

Chemical sunscreens contain organic (carbon-based) compounds, such as oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone, which create a chemical reaction and work by changing UV rays into heat, then releasing that heat from the skin.

Because I'm paranoid of sun now due to my melasma, I use a combination of both physical and chemical because even after doing my research, looks like both have pros and cons and are equally effective.

on 11/11/2015 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is my HG SS! I use the tinted version and it blends perfectly into my brown skin leaving no white cast. I initially used the Clear, but my estetician suggested I try the tinted Daily and I love it. It works beautifully under makeup and over my serums. My only complaint is that I never know how much I have left so I always have to have an extra one on hand. I highly recommend!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

WHOA. This is a great sunscreen! When I put it on it felt a little thick but within two minutes, my face feels soft and looks matte. Not a bit of greasiness or shine. Smells a little strong but not bothersome.

The best sunscreen/moisturizer I've ever used is the Purlisse one but this is a little cheaper for how much you get.

on 4/15/2015 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I had some sample packets of this laying around and decided to give it a shot now that summer is coming and I will be starting a retinoid soon. I also have a mild sun allergy and burn very easily, so sun avoidance is pretty much my middle name.

I was really expecting this to be quite greasy judging by the ingredient list, but am glad to say that I was fooled. This is probably the nicest facial sunscreen I've ever used. For comparison here are others that failed me one way or another: Cotz Sensitive, PC Resist Super Light, Replenix Spray, and Burnout Eco-sensitive. I have very oily, sensitive, clog prone skin and do not need to wear a separate moisturizer underneath. I should note that Ethylhexyl Palmitate does not cause issues for me and this is also void of the usual clog-creating suspects for me. YMMV as always.

It has a light, runny texture, but is also slightly emollient. I had no issues applying the adequate amount and it did not leave a sticky or greasy feeling upon drying. It dried very quickly, finish is what I'd call semi-matte, and it left no white cast (but I'm already very pale). Additionally, I can use this under my eyes without any irritation which is a first. I suspect it may be due to the exclusion of Titanium Dioxide. Once dry, I apply Bioderma's Sebium Pore Refiner for oil control and mattifying. That stuff's been a real workhorse for me and I haven't noticed any difference in performance while using the Elta underneath.

This won't work for everyone who has similar issues, but it may be worth a try. The UV Clear seems to be quite popular for oily/acne-prone's, but unfortunately it contains niacinamide which is one of my contact dermatitis triggers. Boo hiss. I've already ordered a full size and am hopeful that this will attain HG status.

My pros:
Doubles as an SPF and day time moisturizer
Nice texture, finish, and no white cast
No irritation, including eye area
No clogging or break outs
No pilling under/over my other products

My cons:
Expensive, but most sites that carry it have frequent sales
UVA protection isn't the greatest (PA++), but I'll take what I can get at this point

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

First couple of days it felt smooth on application and looked nice... but on day three or so it seemed to be making my skin dry. It also doesn't work well under makeup... gets cakey. I have a few weird red splotches on my face after using this for four days. Wouldn't buy again. Disappointing; it really had potential.

on 10/4/2014 4:01:00 PM

This sunscreen has a wonderful finish. Really minimal white cast, dries matte and is not sticky. I would not buy this again because it stings my eyes, and is too expensive, but otherwise I would. I love the pump dispenser