EltaMD UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40

EltaMD UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40
UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40UV Daily Facial Broad Spectrum SPF 40

4.4

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9.0%, Octinoxate 7.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Diethanolamine, Cetyl Phosphate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Hyaluronic Acid, Squalane, Polyether-1, Triethanolamine, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate, Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

on 11/10/2018 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a decent sunscreen, (that uses both chemical and physical filters), for certain situations. I rated it 4 stars because of the easy to wear formula. If you’ve got the budget for it, and don’t mind having incomplete UV protection, it’s a great product.

CONS: It’s way expensive for 1.7 oz, $26+ depending where you get it. The pump bottle doesn’t let you ensure you get all of the product out, a tube would be much better. The major con for me is the low percentage of zinc oxide. In order to protect against UVA 1 rays at the upper end of the spectrum, a higher concentration of zinc oxide is needed, 20%+. The other sun screen filter, Octinoxate, only offers protection from UVB rays, so the product will cover you for UVB and UVA 2, but I don’t believe it’s enough to protect against UVA 1 rays, which do damage and age the skin. So, I only wear this for quick trips the store, going out and about but primarily being indoors, late afternoons when the sun is going down, etc. For bike rides, beach days, or any time I’ll be out longer than 10-15 minutes at a stretch, I’ll use my Neutrogena SheerZinc with 22% zinc oxide. Or bust out my Ambre Solaire with Mexoryl.

PROS: The formula is super wearable. Zero white cast, spreads easily, absorbs fully, not filmy, layers well, slightly emollient, basically unscented. I have normal-dry skin, and I don’t find it to be greasy at all. Nor is it tacky, it just sinks in and that’s that, - on to the next step. I’ll add a tiny bit of Sensual Skin Enhnacer to turn it into something that offers a bit of coverage, and they blend so well together. I LOVE the formula. If it had even 15-18% zinc oxide and wore as well as the current version, this would be my daily driver for life. The formula is that good. Much more easy and comfortable to wear than the EltaMD UV physical, which I used up before buying this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My Holy Grail of daily sunscreens.

- I have a sensitive rosacea prone skin and this cream doesn't irritate/aggregate it at all. My rosacea is flared up by beauty products. I finally figured out the regimen that doesn't cause any redness and this cream is a part of it.
- no breakouts, no clogged pores. My skin reacts to many many things but this formula is perfect for me.
- no shiny (oily) face. Bare in mind I have normal dehydrated skin (not oily) but most of the sunscreens very giving me an oily t-zone.
- no white cast. At all. The initial whiteness sinks into the skin and disappears within a minute on my medium-light complexion.
- wears well under makeup.

Repurchased several times and will continue to buy.

I rate this product 5 stars because it is a pleasure to wear and how many sunscreens can that be said of?

I have used the UV Daily SPF 40 (untinted) and it's light, moisturizing and doesn't impart a white cast. It is also fragrance free, comes in well designed packaging, and is an effective formula.

I would say that I have experienced slight sensitization because it contains a chemical sunscreen agent and I have rosacea but the chemical sunscreen agent is what gets this product to the impressive SPF that it has and I have never burned while wearing it, so I do not fault the product for being sensitizing when every chemical sunscreen has the potential to irritate sensitive skin.

It is very worthy of consideration by anyone wanting to protect their skin with an elegant formula at a fair price.

on 7/3/2018 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm commenting on the tinted version. It's a lovely sunscreen to use as combo moisturizer and sun protection in the summer. It has decent casual sun protection, it's not overly greasy nor irritating for my fairly normal, sensitive skin, has no high shine or tackiness, dries down nicely, and it supports makeup without pillage. My really big disappointment, however, is that the tint is pretty dark on fair-light skin, as Princesska said, below. I'm only sorry I didn't pay better attention to the photos she posted. I'm around nc20, and this looks like straight up bronzer on me. I'm wearing it only when I'm staying home, because even with a normally too-light shade powder over it to cut down the darkness, it still makes my face look at least 2 shades darker than my chest. The clear version could very possibly tempt me at some future date, but the tinted version is a definite no repurchase.

This sunscreen is a 10/10 in every category for me. I had a lot of trouble finding a sunscreen that wouldn't pill up when worn under makeup, but this one applies well and soaks into skin quickly. I have allergic reactions to many products (even those formulated for sensitive skin,) and I had no reaction to this.

The pump dispenser works well, it's reasonably priced, and I haven't had any sunburns or new freckles since using this. I will definitely repurchase!

on 2/2/2018 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a fantastic sunscreen. I have tried many to find the one that really suits my skin. It was important to me that it would wear well under make up and that it wasn't greasy. I have had a few recently that I feel have caused milia on my cheeks but this does not do that at all. I'm so impressed with the consistency of this, I've ordered a couple more as back ups.

on 9/26/2017 1:01:00 PM

This is my favorite daily sunscreen, hands down.

Price: I bought this with a coupon code form Derm Store; I think I paid ~$32 for the 1.7oz airless pump bottle

Packaging: I love the Elta MD pump--it is so easy to dispense as little or as much as needed. It travels well and is air tight.

Product: I confess that it took me far too long to get into the routine of using a daily sunscreen, and when I did, I really wanted to find something with a tint so that in the summer (I work in education), when I didn't have to report to work every day, I could throw it on and have it suffice as makeup. I've reviewed Clinique's City Block and a few others, but this by far is my absolute favorite and EltaMD deserves all of the credit in the world for this product's formulation.

Unlike most tinted sunscreens I have tried, this is neither smelly, nor watery, nor gloppy, nor squirts out a giant bubble of oil before you get to the product. It doesn't leave a cast on my skin or dry me out. It pumps smoothly and easily, spreads like a dream and disappears completely into my skin with no shine, oiliness or pilling. I apply my daily moisturizer each morning (CeraVe cream), wait about 5 minutes, put this on, wait another five minutes, and my foundation applies without a hitch. I should also mention that it does exactly what it's supposed to do--protects my skin from the sun.

For those who are on trying to narrow down EltaMD's line, my introduction to their products came via UV Clear (in both the tinted / untinted formulations) and that is also an excellent product, well worth the money, same pump, same effectiveness in sunscreen, same application. For some reason though, I found that for me, 1-UV Daily tinted gave slightly better coverage and 2-my need for an acne-friendly product was somewhat negated following a trip to the dermatologist who got my skin issues under control with medication.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Those who have fair skin, avoid the tinted version of this sunblock as it can give a dark yellow tint to your skin.
The formula is also very greasy. So if your skin is oily/combination, you will not like it.

on 12/6/2016 4:43:00 PM

I love this sunblock!! I got the TINTED version because clear sunblocks leaves a white-ish coat on my face. Absorbs beautifully without a greasy feeling. I apply it under my foundation every day.

I suffer from melasma so this past few year I've been researching and trying all sorts of sunblocks. I found this sunscreen while researching sunblocks for melasma and found great reviews all over the internet on this product.

I decided to get this product for the following reasons:
- Tinted: so it doesn't leave a white residue
- Hi SPF 40
- Physical containing 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
- UVA/UVB sun protection,

For those of you that don't know, there are two types of sunscreens out there: Chemical and Physical.

Physical sunscreens contain active mineral ingredients (this one has zinc oxide), which work by sitting on top of the skin to deflect and scatter damaging UV rays away from the skin.

Chemical sunscreens contain organic (carbon-based) compounds, such as oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate and avobenzone, which create a chemical reaction and work by changing UV rays into heat, then releasing that heat from the skin.

Because I'm paranoid of sun now due to my melasma, I use a combination of both physical and chemical because even after doing my research, looks like both have pros and cons and are equally effective.

on 11/11/2015 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is my HG SS! I use the tinted version and it blends perfectly into my brown skin leaving no white cast. I initially used the Clear, but my estetician suggested I try the tinted Daily and I love it. It works beautifully under makeup and over my serums. My only complaint is that I never know how much I have left so I always have to have an extra one on hand. I highly recommend!