Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

Filtered by age: 30-35
 Jherri Redding One 'n Only Color Fix

4.4

Before trying this I read a lot of reviews here and on the Sally website. Maybe I didn't read enough, but I didn't find a single one about it turning hair splotchy and orange. Which is what happened to me. I have naturally dark brown resistant and very thick hair a few inches past my shoulders, and for the past year I've been dying it black. I wanted a change and to go lighter for the summer, and my sister who is naturally strawberry blonde said this worked great for her. I did a strand test and ended up with a pleasant reddish dark brown, so I did my ends which had more layers of dye, and then the area closer to my roots. This turned the top of my head an awful, splotchy brassy orange color, like I had bleached it. It also turned other random patches of my hair the same color, with no rhyme or reason. Some were closer to the roots, some closer to the ends. Some halfway down on a lock of hair. I did the processing lotion on the orange parts and it helped some, but I'm going to have to spend some time fixing this if I don't want to just put another dark dye over it, and I'll look pretty bad for a few days until I do. I don't really understand why it did what it did, because my hair has been dyed the same color with the same dye very evenly and was natural before that. I'm also no novice to hair color, having dyed my hair almost every color in existence in the past and regularly coloring other peoples hair. I'm giving it 3 lippies anyway because it did remove the dye and didn't fry my hair. Like the other reviewers have said, it smells gross, like a perm, and the smell lingers and is stronger when my hair is wet. Overall I'd still say give it a try if you really want to remove your dye, but I would recommend doing strand tests in a few locations on the head first.

on 4/19/2014 5:49:00 PM

This product works really well. Make sure you follow the steps. My natural hair color is a light brown, and I have been dyeing it dark brown for 10 plus years. I got really tired of my hair being so dark. I really wanted it lighter and warmer. So I did a lot of research and found the one n only color fix. I read a lot of reviews and most them were very poditive. So I figured that if it did not work, I can at least dye it dark again. The first time I tried it, I followed all of the steps, but I left out step 3, the dreaded processing lotion. My hair turned a light to medium brown, but it darkened back to dark brown over the next few days. So I seems like no matter if you use the processing lotion or not, if your hair still has color in it, it will darken either way. After giving my hair a 2 week break, I decided to try again. I ended up reoeating the process 2 more times, including step 3!!! Which did not darken my hair. It just toned it. I assuming that this means that all of the color was removed. My hair came out really light. I was amazed. I was debating on keeping it that way, i really wanted to dye it. I was so scared, but after much research, I went for it. I applied some protein filler for 20 minutes, and applied a demi permenant lvl 9 neutral gold blonde( yes a blonde) dye for 5 min only. Any longer and it would have turned too dark. Now my hair is a golden light brown, and I am so super happy with it. A few more tips: rinse, rinse, and rinse and wash your hair with clarifying shampoo. I also applied heat during the third time.
Hope this helps.

on 6/17/2012 4:57:00 PM

I am actually getting ready to use this again. I thought I was buying my usual color, but I actually bought one shade darker. Oopps. lol

People, you are using CHEMICALS. It's not going to smell like roses. And yes, I find the smell does tend to linger in my hair for a couple of days. But I find this true of HAIR DYE as well. Or for that matter, any hair chemicals such as perms, etc.

I have used this several time over the years. I will just be giving my insights and tips.

I have naturally red hair and it has removed all manner of dye of from my hair. But you need to understand how dye works in the first place so you have realistic expectations of this product. Dye works by essentially bleaching out your natural pigment to deposit the color molecules. So when you remove the dye, you are left with lighter, brassy hair. That's not because the product is horrible. It's because your hair has ALREADY been bleached to varying degrees.

Depending on the condition of my hair to begin with, I will either wait a couple of days before re-dying my hair. Either using a semi-permanent or permanent. If I am not sure what I want to do with my hair or if I don't want to dye it again, I will get a semi-permanent such as Clariol Natural Instincts in a ash or cool blonde color and this will tone down the brassiness. Ash/cool shades neutralize the gold tones in your hair.

I always use a clarifying shampoo at the point it tells you to shampoo AND after I am done with the whole process. It seems like an oxymoron, but I am a bit paranoid about leaving these chemicals in my hair. I don't know if it makes that much of a difference, but *I* feel better. lol

I also deep condition the heck out of my hair afterwards. I have only noticed this drying out my hair horribly when my hair is already in bad condition - like if I've been dying my hair a lot or using a lot of heat tools on it.

I think there has only been one time where I haven't gotten the results I wanted with this. And I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere along the process. I don't think this is as harsh as completely bleaching your hair, but it definitely can do a number on your hair depending on it's condition starting out. I have found that if my hair is in really good condition, it just dries it out a bit. Nothing that a deep treatment/conditioner can't help with it. However, if your hair is severely damaged, I would go to a salon rather than use this. Hopefully this review will help someone out there.

Being a sucker for punishment.. I color my hair after finally growing my natural out ( after MANY years) I only used a Semi Permanent color, but instead of it washing out in 24-28 shampoos, it did not wash out AT ALL! needless to say, I was a touch miffed by this turn of events.. I tried fixing the color with permanent color, but did not like the results. I ended up with hair that had too much red tone.
So, upon doing TONS of research into color correction, I tracked down this product. I consider myself incredibly lucky that a Sallys Beauty Supply had just opened in Nepean ( hard stuff to find in Canada.) So I made the trip and took the plunge.
This stuff is a god send. I skipped the 3rd step completely. No harm done. What I did do was mix 1 tbsp each of the color reducer and conditioning Catalyst with 1 tbsp of my Matrix Biolage shampoo (hydrating) and worked said mixture into my hair, left it on for 5-7 minutes, rinsed and checked the results. I repeated the process ( same mixture, I was able to get 2 uses out of the first mix) and then rinsed and conditioned. The next day, I repeated the process 2 more times. I was left with a light auburn color, that I did not mind, but I wanted it closer to my natural color. So i used L'oreal preference natural light ash brown. I only left the hair color in my hair for about 7-8 minutes as Color fix leaves your hair rather porous. ( I could not find the proper protein filler.. any suggestions? .. however i did use a color primer)
So I am a medium ash brown with minimal golden tones. NO RED TONES! * yay* I love the end result. the color is not fading at all and the most important part.. Color Fix did NOT destroy my hair like bleach would have. A little dry, but definately not fried. the product is low odor.. reminds me of a perm kit actually. so nothing major. I also have tons of product left. ( in case of emergency..lol) I hope to never need it again as I really would like to finally stop dying my hair, but if I do screw it up down the road, I have this saving grace waiting for me.. :) the price was not too bad either, comparable to a bleach kit.
Edit: )3/15/2009 well I decided to give it another go, as hair dye was building up on the ends. still does the trick, and I have since discovered the "hair loss" I was experiencing had nothing to do with color fix. ( what is the cause of my hair loss?? will find that out soon enough.) anywho, I do like this for removing the color for more even application. I decided to go against what many said about going 1-2 shades lighter, as that just ran me into a heap of trouble. I like dark brown hair, and I only get a true dark brown hair color from ( drum roll please ..) A dark brown hair dye! gasp! I just cut the processing time down to about 10-12 minutes with a few extra minutes dedicated to the roots to even things out. Also, I used Ion reconstructor treatment after the Color fix, than dried and dyed right after.. no problems.. I also left the Hair dye conditioning treatment on for about 10 min under a processing cap.. Great results, my hair looks better than before I colorfixed it. :)

on 5/30/2008 3:52:00 PM

So I had LAYERS of color on my hair from perpetually 'trying to get it right'. It got to a point where it was like russian roulette - my hairdresser would put an ash blonde and it would come out a caramel. I have naturally light ash blonde but have bleached it so many times and was trying to put lowlights back in but didn't like the colour. So I ended up wanting to start from scratch. I bought this and it worked great! It took out all the dye - but it does not take out natural colour. NOTE: Your hair will be orange to some extent. Because under all my colour there was bleach (which doesn't come out) it was a very light warm blonde, but if you started off with dark hair you will be quite orange. Don't be alarmed. If you started off with black hair and put a 20vol black permanent colour on it, it will lift and deposit. Meaning it will lighten a bit then put colour back in. So all you see is that it looks the same, but really your natural hair was turned to orange by the peroxide and the dye was deposited to make it dark again. SO when you take out the dye you WILL have orange hair. All you need to do is either tone it, or recolor it. The product did not damage my hair more than it was (and it was quite dry) it actually made it a bit better as it took all the layers of gunk off. I would buy again for sure!
p.s. you MUST MUST rinse it well or your hair will redarken. I'm talking ridiculous length of time. This stuff only shrinks the colour molecules so they can be washed away - if not they will expand again and get 'stuck' again in the hair shaft thus making hair dark again. That is why you get that last bottle, it forces them to expand sooner, so you can see where you didn't wash properly.