CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have terrifically horribly oily skin, as well as very acne-prone skin. I've used a Benzyol Peroxide-gel for a couple of weeks to get rid of my acne, so it's better now than before, but still.

Anyway. I bought this foundation because I was really fed up with using foundation from the Body Shop - which looked cakey and oily on me. So I went into a department store and decided I'd buy a Chanel one, just because I think the packaging looked amazing.
The lady at the counter told me that Mat Lumière would fit me because of my oily skin, and so I bought it about 2 months ago.

The first month I was reaaaally let down. It didn't keep me matte for more than about an hour before I'd be oilier than a piece of bacon. I tried Chanel's powders and different primers, but nothing seemed to work. Then I changed from my L'Oréal HydraFresh moisturiser to a new one from Nivea, and suddenly - BOOM, I was surprised by this foundation. Not only does it keep me matte the whole day, it doesn't have that overly-powdered look I hate so much. I don't really have to apply a primer before I use this, it stays on for ages - I put it on before I go to school, and I still have that newly-makeuped look when I take off my makeup right before bed.

The philosophy of Chanel is not to have a perfect skin with no colouration from acne scars etc etc, but to enhance your naturally beauty. Therefore the Mat Lumière foundation isn't even close to full-coverage, but it covers up the most essential, like my red areas around my nose and cheeks. I also love the luminous look I get from this, that always keeps me looking healthy and natural. I really recommend this one if you're looking for a high-class, everyday foundation to keep you matte and natural! x

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I had been using Clinique's oil-free foundation when I decided it was time I picked out a new foundation. I loved mine (is great at oil control and looks & feels very natural on the skin), but it had a sheer coverage. So I started asking my friends and looking for reviews about several foundations. I was recommended this one, thought "Wow, pricey, but it is Chanel. Maybe it's worth it!" and got a sample at a Sephora store.

First of all, the one I got did not match my skin tone at all. My faced looked so orange and artificial! Once again, a bad experience with Sephora's employees.
Secondly, it is an extremely heavy foundation: it feels like paint on your face, which is just awful to me since I have oily skin and a preference for looking natural.
And the worst is it has sheer to medium coverage when that's not what Chanel describes.

Overall, this foundation made me look like a fake painted orange. Awesome, right? Thank God I got a sample before buying it! I don't recommend this product at all and I'm not buying it for sure. It's a pricey crap.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Overall, great foundation. Chanel foundation formulas seem to be safe for my skin. I don't get allergic reactions, breakouts or clogs. However, finding the right formula was a bit of a challenge. In the past, I've owned Vitalumiere (too hydrating) and Perfection Lumiere (too drying and flat). Mat Lumiere gives a glow to the skin yet doesn't make you look greasy nor does it cling on to dry patches. It is the perfect level of matte and hydration. I do love this foundation.

The shade I wear is 40 Beige. I am 57 in Kat Von D, 6.0 in Urban Decay and 060 in Shiseido.

The coverage is medium. I find it doesn't really build to full coverage when layered. To cover stubborn spots, I would rather use a concealer than this foundation.

The texture is light. I can't feel it on the skin.

The longevity is pending. Winter and seditary, it will last all day. I'm not sure yet about summer and activity. *Will update

The bad news: This will soon be discontinued. Starting in February 2014, Chanel will be stopping the production of Mat Lumiere and introducing a reformulation for their Perfection Lumiere to be a matte formula. I'm not excited about this because I really dislike the original Perfection Lumiere formula so I will be crossing my fingers that the new one will be a lot better.

on 7/14/2013 7:36:00 AM

Mat Lumiere is my all time fav! I have this in shade50 and it matches my skin tone perfectly. Works well with my oily acne prone skin, isn't greasy, provides high coverage and gives me flawless skin. It doesn't change colour as I've experienced with perfection lumiere. It only needs a bit of powder to really set the foundation and last me a whole day.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this for about a week and so far, it's my most preferred foundation. I also have the Vitalumiere Aqua Compact from Chanel and love the finish of that one more, but I have oily skin and it's summer so... I have this in 5 Naturel and I'm about an nc40. Honestly it's a hint too light, but I top this foundation off with the perfection Lumiere powder in B60 which is my skin color, so it looks almost perfect. I also have oily, sensitive skin that loves to eat foundation. The first time I tried this foundation, I didn't like it because my face literally does eat it up and it becomes patchy quickly. However, with some testing, I've discovered that using the chanel illuminating base helps keep it on longer. Since its summer, I've been using Phillis's milk of magnesia as a primer, and this helps it last a really nice amount of time, and it doesn't get too oily. I wore it today from 8-4 and it didn't look super great at the end of the day, but I honestly didn't expect it to. It help up pretty well, although it did get patchy in some areas. However, I did just start tazorac and my skin is kind of problematic right now, so maybe it was just a rough skin day. Anyway, I gave this an overall 4 because I do really like it, but I do have to prime and powder with this, and it doesn't last more than 7 hours on me.

on 6/7/2013 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I got chanel matte in #30 cendre..it is good coverage.almost full.covered all my redness in one go.no conceler..drys a bit too quickly, had to use my fingers as it dried too fast for me to work it with a brush..is a sumwhat thick, globby texture..(nothing like nars or tarte's clay or even mufe matte velvet, those where all very creamy except nars was a thin silky liquid) has a soft rose smell.I like it.would probly be too dry for dry skin.I have dry spots around my nose& a forehead but its not clinging to them.has a light powdery look.feels nice on a bit on the dry side.inside it looks amazing but out in bright sunlight it looks like it clings to sum rough spots but ive had it look worse with some.after a few hours i liked it better, wasnt so heavy looking, not that i found it to be real heavy but it shure isnt the lightest or natural feeling that ive used.lasted along time with no primer.8/9hrs but im not oily..overall I really love this I will make shure to buy a back up soon as ive heard from a few places online as well as the girl at nordstrom that this might not be around much longer, I just hope not anytime soon.I luv putting this on top of other foundations for that soft focus look.*** I EMAILED chanel thru their website&asked if they plan on it, or something&got a reply back this morn saying they havent heard that they are but they have discontinued such &such shade.wich says to me that it probly will be discontinued sumtime down the rd, I mean it seemed they wipedout all the darker shades.or a lot of em.I only saw up to shade 40 at the makeup counter.

My current foundation.

Pros: Good oil control. I have pretty oily skin and needed a foundation that kept my skin matte and natural. The foundation liquid is quite thick so a little goes a long way and I find layering it gives good coverage without a heavy look. Very light-weight; I sometimes forget I'm even wearing it! I do have acne scarring and it doesn't cover it extremely well but enough that it is barely noticeable. The smell is nice and fades within an hour of putting it on. Goes on silky smooth and leaves my face looking naturally glowing!

Cons: I don't think there are any real cons with this product but I find that it's sometimes a little dusty on my face depending on how I apply it. It needs to be blended in extremely well and looks better when you use your finger! A brush doesn't do this type of foundation justice. It's also important to moisturize well before applying this product.

YES. EXPENSIVE... BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND THIS DOES DELIVER. Until I find something better, this is my go to!

I bought it today and im so excited about this foundation. I have combination skin, olive tone and i bought number 40 beige. It has a matte finish but looks natural. It has a medium coverage so i would not recommend it if you have a big acne problem or scars and you need a full coverage. During the day i put a small amount of it with makeup brush and it looks so natural, like i m not wearing any makeup, but still looks good! I have read some reviews about that, that looks oily etc after a few hours, i hope it fits my skin , i ll let you know! Price: 46 euros, i hope it worth it!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I work at a Chanel makeup counter, so I decided to take home a sample of the Mat Lumiere foundation since I have such oily skin. Never in my life had I seen such amazing oil control from a foundation! I can have it on for hours and have barely any oil, which is saying something because I usually have to blot and powder my face about an hour after my makeup application. Great buildable coverage, it never looks cakey on my skin. It matches my skin tone perfectly and feels so nice on my face. Only problem I have with it is that it's a bit pricey, but I'm paying for the quality also! A definite must for people who want a long wearing, oil control foundation.

on 1/19/2012 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I ordered this online despite reviews and I have to say I hate it! I prefer my neutragena healthy skin foundation to this expensive product that looks awful on me. First off I have oily skin so anything matte I wanna give a try. But ya this seperated on me really bad I looked awful and kinda powdery.. I'm gonna send this back! Im on the hunt for my HG foundation! And this for me was not it!