Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Tan
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

on 12/20/2010 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have finally found my HG foundation. I have combination skin and this foundation controls the oiliness and nurtures the dryness, all while adding a soft matte finish. Also, If you have yellow undertones then this foundation is perfect. Who likes the mask feel? Not me!! I love that it's light weight, but still gives great coverage. If you have any worries about making the investment (check the price, it is quite the investment hehe), then just ask for a sample at your local Chanel counter. I also want to add that with this foundation a little goes a long way. One pump and you are flawless! ;)

on 8/14/2010 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this foundation. It's definitely my new HG at the moment (although my foundation HG changes pretty frequently). I normally have quite a lot of trouble finding foundations that match my skin. Even MAC with their extensive range comes no where close however I take a 40 in this and it's absolutely perfect. I also love that if I go overboard with the application it still blends really easily without looking cakey or chalky.

I have fairly oily skin but this controls it quite well. I haven't tried this foundation in really hot weather (it's Winter here at the moment but temperatures are still between 20-25 degrees Celcius) but so far it lasts all day really well without any need for touchups.

The texture of this foundation is also really nice. I don't really like wearing powder on top of my foundation, if at all I'll just use a tiny bit on my oilier areas and I don't even need to with this foundation! It still lasts all day and looks dewy rather than oily. The coverage of this foundation is also really good. It covers my acne scars and any pimples that I get. I don't even need to bother with concealer anymore.

The biggest downside I would say is the packaging. The applicator can get messy and I've had a lot of the foundation drip out around the top of the bottle and get everywhere. It would be better if there was a pump for it or something but i guess the applicator is better than having to pour the foundation out.

But overall I definitely recommend this foundation and I'm definitely going to buy it again (which is extremely rare for me as I'm always on the search for the perfect foundation).

My HG foundation! =]

COLOUR: All Chanel foundations have a yellow undertone. Very nice, natural colours! When I'm normal, I use 40-biege and when I fake tan, I use 50-naturel.

THE FINISH: Flawless matte finish! The texture just looks so lovely and refined. That's one of my biggest gripes - when foundations are so cakey that they look almost grainy. But this isn't, it's perfect! The coverage is medium, leaning to the full side. I apply mine quite liberally, so I suppose it would be easy to achieve a lighter look if you prefer. Not cakey at all (even given the coverage) - very natural looking! As a matte foundation, it's still enough to reflect a bit of light too so it doesn't look too dull.

Although I have said the coverage is very good, I have a feeling that those with heavy acne/ pigmentation may not be satisfied with this. I think it's more specialised at evening out your skin tone.

STAYING POWER: Pretty good. Minimal transfer rate to clothes etc. if you've just touched your face. I felt that it did come of my face a bit around the cheeks but only if I did a LOT of walking that day (getting around campus!). But otherwise it sat quite nicely!

The formula does allow for a reasonable amount of oil control - I'm pretty satisfied. I think the "matte" effect could be misconstrued as leaving you without oil throughout the whole day. Not true! You will always need to blot/ powder through the day with any foundation (I would be worried if a naturally oily/combo skin did not, as your skin would not be breathing). However, I think the matte part applies more to the finish it leaves (as opposed to dewy).

HOW IT FEELS ON THE SKIN: Very light - not heavy at all. Skin felt unprecedentedly hydrated!! Thankyou Chanel! Also, did not feel itchy or irritate my sensitive skin.

SCENT: So good! I would venture to say very pleasant. Almost berry like (not the artificial kind, but possibly fresh berries. I can't quite pin-point it).

CONSISTENCY: A light liquid (hence 'fluid'). Over time, I think it does thicken, just a little though.

PACKAGING: Pump - very handy! The hole is nice and small, so you can better control the amount. Cap is a click on (as opposed to screw-in). Bottle feels like frosted glass, but could be high grade plastic. Very elegant!

EXTRAS: SPF15. I wasn't seeking out sun protection, but I suppose this is good. Plus there is no sunscreen smell!

PRICE: AU$72 from Myer (I think)

APPLICATION: Very easy to blend/ touch up. Obviously, if you're oily/ combo, you'll still need to set this with powder. I either use a foundation brush and blend it out with a sponge, or just use a sponge alone if I want a really flawless coverage (be warned, this does waste alot of product)! I'm not sure about this whole dampening sponge thing which others have mentioned - but maybe this is for a lighter coverage. I didn't feel the need to do this.

on 12/23/2008 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have 3 foundations in my kit. This one eing my fave. I also use Estee Lauder Doublewear which is a little heavy for me but add a little moisturiser....will try the lighter version next time. Also use Mac.....however feel that chanel has a little more staying power and sinks in better for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For three years I've been using Bare Minerals. So going in to liquid foundation is a big change. This is amazing. I absolutely love it. The coverage is just phenomenal. I love the packaging, and the smell isn't horrid. The only downside I would say would be the ease of getting the product. i can't just go to a regular Macys and buy it, I have to usually go to Lord and Taylors, Saks, Bergdorf, and etc. I would recommend this to anyone, especially those teenagers who are starting to just use make-up. It's pricey, but if you want something amazing its going to cost you.

on 9/27/2007 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was on the look out for a MATTE foundation either powder or liquid.. This was my experience for one day. Note that SAs were the ones who were applying foundations on me with brush on one side and sponge on the other so that I can see the difference (too demanding?lol). I tried GA MSF; the darkest shade doesn't match my skin but I'd say it's a good one! Px;SA can't find anything that matches my skin and had to do custom blend but I wasn't sure if it's gonna be the one I am looking for. MUFE Mat Velvet +; I hate to say that I don't like their liquid foundations on me coz they actually sit on my pores, lines. Guerlain 2 different liquid foundations which I've forgotten the names; The SA matched a shade that's too ashy for me and plus it was a bit heavy for my taste (matte one) and the other foundation just tried a bit on the other cheek but was a bit dewy and not I am looking for. Shiseido Powder foundation; The darkest shade was too light for my skin but it was a nice texture. NARS powder foundation; Wow! I can't even say that I am wearing a foundation and neither the SA, No matter how much I put it doesn't cake at all and I love it instantly! I bought it, but then came back the next day coz when I got home I was really frustrated to see my face looked like a brown pearl! It was shiny and the color changed! :( So the next day, I returned it, I went to Dior and I did like their new compact flawless but then again the darkest shade was too light and ashy for me plus after a few hours my face looks dewy although it's nice, I was looking for a matte one... So I went to CHANEL and got a sample of the liquid mat lumiere and I actually tried the powder but only applied on my jawline to see if the shade matches me and it didn't and perhaps I will go back for that during the winter. So the next day I tried the liquid one in 50 and put a bronze illuminator underneath and then sweep a loose powder in dore to finish. and it was perfect! I love the texture which is not heavy nor hard to blend! It's matte, but at the same time luminous with no greasiness look! Wow! This is exactly what I want!!! After a few hours when it blended or melted to my skin, I like it even more as everything settled into my skin! My face looks fresh and radiant! I used this foundation when we attended christening, I applied it at 2:30pm and we came home 10:30 pm and everything was fine and it's still good! I didn't even do a touch up! It's like I-just-did-my-makeup-awhile-ago! I brought a powder with me and didn't even use it. I just reapplied a lipstick lol. My photos were nice too, I don't look greasy as I usually do. So I am buying this foundation on shade 50 next time I pass by at Chanel Hhayyyy :) Alas I found my HG! But still I will try and collect all Chanel foundations in the future and so far I like Teint Innocence, Double Perfection Powder but this has been discontinued and most of all, this MAT LUMIERE one! Sorry my review is too long! I really don't write reviews on foundation because nothing wowed me as much as this MAT LUMIERE does. Note: I have a sensitive combination skin, oily during summer and can be dehydrated at times on winter.

P.S. My application of this product: Using my fingertips, I dab it like a polka dot on my cheeks and then blend and smooth out, same thing with my other cheek, then on my nose, chin, around my lips, forehead... I just think warming foundations on my fingertips and using my hands are way better than anything for me to achieve a more natural look but then again, it's me.. :)

on 2/8/2013 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have only been wearing this foundation for about 1 week and I LOVE it. I am super-picky about make-up. As a fair-skinned black woman, finding a high-end make-up base to match is usually a challenge. I finally decided to try Chanel, and I'm so glad I did! I would never have chosen Soft Honey-it looked a bit too light in the store, but after wearing an hour or so, it took on a very lovely shade (oxidation, I suppose). I have moderately oily skin that is a bit uneven but without any type of scarring. It provides just enough coverage for both everyday and evening wear, and it lasts ALL day! I am not a fan of powder,and I don't need it with this foundation. The pump top is very nice. Very pricey, but worth it so far. The texture is a bit dry, but probably contributes to its long wearability. The best I have used in a very long time!

on 12/26/2011 6:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Medium coverage if you have some scars dark spot will not covered all.
But good oil control powder and give glow finishing but not cakey. I got it quite dark so I would like to have lighter color for next time.

on 12/10/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

there's a lot of people saying that the Mat Lumiere doesn't give that flat matte look which I agree and totally love. It does give me a glowing finish but no shine. Coverage it says to be sheer to medium, but I believe it is buildable and can be almost full coverage because it is quite thick. Now since it is quite thick it does take a bit of effort blend it compare to VitaLumiere. Ok, now about the shades it is really disappointing because there's not much shades in UK compare to US. What's more disappointing is that the darkest shade in UK, 60 Hale' which I used is also discontinued. 60 is like for NC 30-35. the texture like I said it's thick, and it has a fragrance and quite strong actually. But it's not that alcohol-like smell which we always got in a matte foundation, it is actually quite florally and I actually like it, it's my first loving fragrance in makeup. If they got 60 Hale' again I would totally buy it. Now I'm trying the Lift Lumiere since they got the shade in 60.

on 11/15/2011 2:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Pretty good foundation considering I tend to break out a lot! It is meant to be a 'matte' foundation but I found it more of a 'matte luminous' finish rather than true matte, which meant it looked very natural even under a bit of powder. I wouldn't say it lasts all day without touchups if you have very oily skin like me, but if you're more on the combination to slightly oily and you want a natural finish AND you're prepared to shell out a lot of money on good foundation, then this is a pretty good pick. I always feel very luxurious and beautiful when I wear this, maybe because I'm wearing Chanel :P But it is a pretty good product that hasn't irritated me or made me break out. The only real complaint is that it doesn't come in a very wide range of colours which really sucks because my colour isn't perfect for my skin tone, but I think Chanel have addressed this with their range of 'perfection lumiere' foundations coming out soon (comes in a LOT of colours compared to this range!).