Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

on 2/19/2016 1:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This foundation didn't work for me as it made my combination skin really oily after a couple of hours. The colour match for my NW15 skin was great though and right after application, my skin looked lovely. The result however, didn't last. Not for me.

on 1/5/2016 8:37:00 PM

quite good coverage but color is strong need to change color in summer nice scent

on 7/4/2014 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample at a store in Poland. I've read on some places it is discontinued this Feb, 2014 because Chanel introduced a new foundation: Perfection Lumiere.

MY SKIN: After using a cleanser and toner for dry, sensitive skin, my skin feels very tight and dry. During summer I apply light moisturizers for oily skin. I have dry flakes from pimples. After 2 hrs my skin is oily. It is sensitive, too, so I have to be very gentle toward my skin since it becomes red just by tapping it into the towel. I have redness on my cheeks near the nose all the time. I am allways red - haven't found anything effective. This are the main reasons I opt for foundations: to neutralize redness and to hide imperfections like pimples, blackheads (nose) and fill-up my pores. I hate my skin. I have cystic acne - at least one pimple; wake up every morning with one new zit.... Blah, blah.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Upon application it matches my skin tone very good. I wear Bourjois CC Cream in shade 31 and 123 Perfect Foundation in shade 51; Healthy Mix in 52 is rather dark for me atm (there's no HM in 51 where I live). This foundation is easy to blend: I've put dots on my face and using the Real Technique's Buffing Brush I blended the foundation into my skin. It does cling to dry patches. The overall effect isn't matte, it isn't dewy but semi-matte. It is enough semi-matte that you can choose whether you want the foundation to set it with a mattifying powder. Since I have oily skin which tends to shine, I did set it with a mattifying powder (Rimmel Matte Pressed Powder). The powder is no good: it isn't finely milled; I would recommend any other than this one. The coverage of Mat Lumiere is medium. You can 'increase' the coverage if you want, but I like it the more natural style.

REVIEW: After two hours it look like freshly applied, after three and a half of hours it look still nice, kind of dewy. In total, I got 5 hours of wear time without any need for powdering. After 5 hours I looked horribly oily, like a new layer was added. Really embarrassing. I powdered my whole face and it looked cakey, but this may be due a cheap, not overly finely milled Rimmel mattifying powder. I was wearing the foundation for 8 hours, and there was a lot of foundation left. It could go for 10 hours; it didn't slip of my face nor did it 'break'.

Honestly, it's a decent foundation, but I have been expecting a better oil control, considering it's called 'Mat'. And, they labeled it as a 'Long Lasting' foundation. Well, for the price of US$73 (yup, that's how much it cost in most parts in Europe!), I would expect really more from it. Especially, considering how Bourjois 123 Perfection Foundation performs on my skin.

I would recommend trying a sample first to see how it acts on (someone else) skin. But for me, it is not worth buying. I would be happy if the price was 2-3 times lower.
I am glad that the SA gave me a sample to try it out first.

I have also got a sample of Perfection Lumiere, Vitalumiere Aqua and Estee Lauder's Double Wear.
Perfection Lumier was horrible after 3 hours. The cheek-near-the-nose par was bad at that point: some of the foundation vanished, and my pores were accentuate by the foundation, like the foundation 'got stuck'.
The same was with VA. But, this foundation looks so pretty once applied for 3 hours! Very natural, and covered all the redness, imperfections and pores really nice. After 3,5 hr you can see it started to wear off. The good thing is, this is the milestone point for this foundation. After that, it stayed that way, it didn't get worse. It was noticable I had foundation alright, but it wasn't bad either. But, Bourjois CC foundation performs better, tbh., and for US$60 vs. US$13 I know what decision I would make.

I tried hard to like Chanel's foundations. I want a higher end one, but this was really disappointing. I cannot believe how Bourjois makes such good foundations! If they were in a sleek, Chanel-like bottle, you could think that Bourjois is a HE!

I'm giving it 4 lippies because:
- it may be a good one for someone less oily
- nice, silky smooth upon application, effect & natural appearance
- staying power is not bad either, but you shall have a mattifying powder in purse, or any blot thing

I don't like:
- price, obviously, because for this price I expected better oil control

on 6/23/2014 1:31:00 PM

This foundation is EVERYTHING!!

I have acne prone skin with a lot of discoloration. I use the beauty blender for the application and it gives me a flawless complexion. obviously, if you're oily. Setting powder is a must! I use bareminerals mineral veil on top of it.
Lasts all say. Does not break me out. :)

Not to mention I have tried: Dior, Armani and other high end foundations. Does not compare.

on 2/27/2014 10:02:00 AM

Pros: Stays matt on my oily/combination skin where most other foundation i have tried hasn't.
Staying power
Pump pack
Consistency is a creamy consistency
Packaging
Scent
Semi matt finish
Medium coverage

Cons: It is quite an expensive foundation.
Limited colour range - I am shade 20 Claire in this foundation and it comes out too dark and yellowish on my skin tone (this is why I will unfortunately not be repurchasing this foundation).
Pump pack gets clogged which for me wasn't really a big issue but for some, they might get annoyed with this.
It is drying to the skin even with my oily/combination skin but i would prefer it over looking like an oily slick throughout the day. It also doesn't dry out my skin as much as some other foundations i have tried.
Can accentuate fine lines, dry patches and pores.
Appears to oxidize on my skin, although difficult to tell since the foundation isn't the correct colour when applied.

Overall, i have tried so many foundations and i really do like this foundation because it is one of the very few foundations i have tried which wasn't overately drying and doesn't make me look like an oil slick at the end of the day. If it wasn't being discontinued and had a better colour range i would definately reconsider purchasing it. This is one of the only foundations i have reconsidered purchasing and i have trialed so many foundations, many of which are too oily or far too drying. This foundation is a happy medium and i am disappointed Chanel didn't put out this foundation with a better colour range because it would have been perfect foundation with the right moisturiser underneath.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I am so surprised by all of the bad reviews! I did a swap for this foundation in 02. I am very pale with yellow undertones and it is very hard for me to find foundations that aren't too dark on my skin! This foundation matches me perfectly.

Pros:
Build-able coverage
Stays put all day
Does not break me out
Blends well
My skin does not get oily with this !

Cons:
Packaging sucks! The pump gets clogged VERY easy
This is a very heavy foundation. Have to be really cautious of how much you put on and that you blend well enough!

So far, I really do like this foundation. It makes my skin look beautiful! I will definitely repurchase if I run out (assuming it continues to work out so well for me). I do hope that in the future they change the pump, it really is NOT user friendly at all. My mother also wanted to steal this from me (she has light VERY oily/acne prone skin with pink undertones)- surprisingly, this foundation worked for her as well!

on 2/26/2012 3:42:00 AM

On the search for the perfect foundation for my skin that would - last all day, not disappear or slide off my t-zone, and survive in hot humid weather - I decided to wander over to the Chanel counter to try Mat Lumiere. Yes, I know this is pricey, but let's be honest, you can skimp on blush, lipstick, eyeshadows and eyeliner, but for a good foundation that lasts all day - I am willing to pay.

I got a sample of Clair 20, as I am very pale. To make the test fair, I did not use any moisturiser (as this can affect lasting power). And I used a sample of a Lancome Pro Base primer on half my face to see if there would be any visible difference with using the primer. The primer made the foundation easy to spread around the face, but I found minimal difference in the long-lasting wear of the mat lumiere on my face.

As for Mat Lumiere - it applied easily. I set it with loose powder, added some blush and went about my usual day. I was in and out of a hot humid outside, and airconditioning inside.

I am impressed! The foundation has lasted well over 10 hours on my skin. Sure, it isn't as "perfectly matte" as when I first applied it, but you can still tell I am wearing foundation. After 6 hours, my oily t-zone made the foundation look slightly shiny (not greasy, just slight shine). The foundation on the other areas of my face was still perfect. I resisted the urge to add more powder, to see how long this foundation would last... it really does last - over 10 hours (After 10 hours my nose just starts to look like I have nothing on it, my t-zone is shiny, but it still looks good on my cheeks)...

As for transfer, there is minimal transfer on my iphone or clothes - so this is a big plus compared to Revlon Colourstay which, although it survives the hot weather, it transfers on everything.

I am disappointed in the lack of colour range offered by Chanel. I found the Clair 20 just slightly too dark for me - but I could warm up my pale neck colour with a bit of bronzer and it looks fine.

So my search for a good foundation is now over. It is pricey, but I think its worth the price.

I normally don't use foundations with this heavy and with this much coverage. But since i love Chanel makeup (and their foundations) i got this one when i was having some problems with my skin. I thought a better coverage will help my skin to look better. But it didn't. I guess i can't blame the foundation, that i didn't like the look of it. It's just my personal preference to conceal where needed rather than having a heavy foundation all over the face.
So my objective opinion is that this may be a really good foundation for people with combination or oily skin and for those who like (or don't mind) wearing heavier foundations. I will not repurchase, but i will use it up.

By the way, in my opinion it looks much better in artificial light than daylight. And I definitely liked it better than MUFE Matte Velvet +

on 1/3/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have had a hard time finding a foundation that looks well on me especially because I have oily skin and acne prone skin. I have just recently started going to a dermatologist for acne and since I've started using the treatments my skin has begun to dry out, so it has been extemely difficult to find a foundation.Before I was on treatment I tried the Vitalumiere it worked out great in the beginning but as time went on it started to turn orange,,it also did not have enough coverage for my acne scars and made my skin even more oily then before so I returned it. I then tried the Make Up Forever HD foundation I tried it once and looked good but I had just started treatment but I felt that this foundation sunk into the creases of my skin it just did not look right. There are pros and cons to this product. Although it states that it is a light to medium coverage, I feel that it more light than medium coverage. When too many layers are applied it can appear orange. It can also make face appear dry when first applied, it also is very matte. But it does not stay matte throughout the whole day. Overall it a good foundation,and it does make me break out. I will re review this product again once I stop using the treatments.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Overall this is a splendid foundation. It's not as mat as the name suggests and compared to my usual mat foundation (lancome teint idole ultra) I find this relatively sheer. It does give a very pretty and healthy looking glow to the skin, feels lightweight and despite the very limited colour range I found it easy to pick a good colour match. I'd prefer a smaller bottle and a bit more coverage but I can live with creative concealer application to get the benefits of the pretty finish this foundation gives. It is expensive but I do think you get what you pay for and used with a decent powder you can obtain a fairly flawless look with this.