CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.1

on 7/4/2014 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample at a store in Poland. I've read on some places it is discontinued this Feb, 2014 because Chanel introduced a new foundation: Perfection Lumiere.

MY SKIN: After using a cleanser and toner for dry, sensitive skin, my skin feels very tight and dry. During summer I apply light moisturizers for oily skin. I have dry flakes from pimples. After 2 hrs my skin is oily. It is sensitive, too, so I have to be very gentle toward my skin since it becomes red just by tapping it into the towel. I have redness on my cheeks near the nose all the time. I am allways red - haven't found anything effective. This are the main reasons I opt for foundations: to neutralize redness and to hide imperfections like pimples, blackheads (nose) and fill-up my pores. I hate my skin. I have cystic acne - at least one pimple; wake up every morning with one new zit.... Blah, blah.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Upon application it matches my skin tone very good. I wear Bourjois CC Cream in shade 31 and 123 Perfect Foundation in shade 51; Healthy Mix in 52 is rather dark for me atm (there's no HM in 51 where I live). This foundation is easy to blend: I've put dots on my face and using the Real Technique's Buffing Brush I blended the foundation into my skin. It does cling to dry patches. The overall effect isn't matte, it isn't dewy but semi-matte. It is enough semi-matte that you can choose whether you want the foundation to set it with a mattifying powder. Since I have oily skin which tends to shine, I did set it with a mattifying powder (Rimmel Matte Pressed Powder). The powder is no good: it isn't finely milled; I would recommend any other than this one. The coverage of Mat Lumiere is medium. You can 'increase' the coverage if you want, but I like it the more natural style.

REVIEW: After two hours it look like freshly applied, after three and a half of hours it look still nice, kind of dewy. In total, I got 5 hours of wear time without any need for powdering. After 5 hours I looked horribly oily, like a new layer was added. Really embarrassing. I powdered my whole face and it looked cakey, but this may be due a cheap, not overly finely milled Rimmel mattifying powder. I was wearing the foundation for 8 hours, and there was a lot of foundation left. It could go for 10 hours; it didn't slip of my face nor did it 'break'.

Honestly, it's a decent foundation, but I have been expecting a better oil control, considering it's called 'Mat'. And, they labeled it as a 'Long Lasting' foundation. Well, for the price of US$73 (yup, that's how much it cost in most parts in Europe!), I would expect really more from it. Especially, considering how Bourjois 123 Perfection Foundation performs on my skin.

I would recommend trying a sample first to see how it acts on (someone else) skin. But for me, it is not worth buying. I would be happy if the price was 2-3 times lower.
I am glad that the SA gave me a sample to try it out first.

I have also got a sample of Perfection Lumiere, Vitalumiere Aqua and Estee Lauder's Double Wear.
Perfection Lumier was horrible after 3 hours. The cheek-near-the-nose par was bad at that point: some of the foundation vanished, and my pores were accentuate by the foundation, like the foundation 'got stuck'.
The same was with VA. But, this foundation looks so pretty once applied for 3 hours! Very natural, and covered all the redness, imperfections and pores really nice. After 3,5 hr you can see it started to wear off. The good thing is, this is the milestone point for this foundation. After that, it stayed that way, it didn't get worse. It was noticable I had foundation alright, but it wasn't bad either. But, Bourjois CC foundation performs better, tbh., and for US$60 vs. US$13 I know what decision I would make.

I tried hard to like Chanel's foundations. I want a higher end one, but this was really disappointing. I cannot believe how Bourjois makes such good foundations! If they were in a sleek, Chanel-like bottle, you could think that Bourjois is a HE!

I'm giving it 4 lippies because:
- it may be a good one for someone less oily
- nice, silky smooth upon application, effect & natural appearance
- staying power is not bad either, but you shall have a mattifying powder in purse, or any blot thing

I don't like:
- price, obviously, because for this price I expected better oil control

on 1/31/2014 2:07:00 AM

Love this foundation when I first put it on and then after 3 hours it starts to seperate and go blotchy *sad face*. It goes on demi matte gives the face a nice glow, but after a few hours of wear it just goes blotchy and doesnt look that great as when I frist applied it. I do have large pores and very oily skin that is maybe why, would repurches this prodcut very beautiful on the skin and needs touch ups during the day though.

on 5/16/2013 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

meh meh. When the price overshadows all other concerns, then you don't really have a great product.

this foundation is good.. but not great. It has good coverage but a bit on the cakey side mostly due to it's heavy consistency (thus the matte). I don't find the luminosity in it and I only use it at night as it feels/looks heavy during the morning hours.

The older I get the less caked up I need to be.

Good but not worth the money for this foundation.

on 2/8/2013 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have only been wearing this foundation for about 1 week and I LOVE it. I am super-picky about make-up. As a fair-skinned black woman, finding a high-end make-up base to match is usually a challenge. I finally decided to try Chanel, and I'm so glad I did! I would never have chosen Soft Honey-it looked a bit too light in the store, but after wearing an hour or so, it took on a very lovely shade (oxidation, I suppose). I have moderately oily skin that is a bit uneven but without any type of scarring. It provides just enough coverage for both everyday and evening wear, and it lasts ALL day! I am not a fan of powder,and I don't need it with this foundation. The pump top is very nice. Very pricey, but worth it so far. The texture is a bit dry, but probably contributes to its long wearability. The best I have used in a very long time!

on 11/14/2012 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I find this foundation horrible - it oxidises and looks flakey and feels so heavy on my skin. The only way I'm able to use it up is by mixing it 50/50 with a thick sunscreen which gets rid of the dark orange cast and helps it smooth over the skin a little better. I have super oily skin but this stuff actually makes the tip of my nose and cheeks look dry when worn on it's own. I regret trying something other than my favourite by another brand and certainly won't repurchase!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think i should have never tried this foundation as my skin has many blemishes and acne scars. For me, this foundation was a waste of money and I've used it possible twice. Here are my pro's and con's.

Pro's:
-Very light texture
-Smells beautiful
-Nice packaging
-Nice finish (in some ways) and radiance

Cons:
-For people with my skin type, it has no coverage at all no matter how much you put on.
-Doesnt cover anything
-After about 15min, looks like you're not even wearing foundation. And i mean it does nothing.
-Very expensive
-Not much colour range (in Australia)

For me the con's weigh more than the pro's. I wouldn't think of buying this foundation again unless my skin was perfect (in which case, it won't need foundation anyway) and i wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't already have perfect skin, because it really does nothing.

on 3/20/2012 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No. No. & NO. a SA suggested this for my oily skin at the chanel counter so I bought this in natural. This was way too heavy of a foundation in my skin. I am more of a light foundation person. My face looked too made up and this made my skin break out like crazy! As for oil control I don't think it did a good job either. It caked up around my cheek area and forehead. I could tell the first time I put it on that my skin couldn't breathe at all. Not to mention how expensive it was. This was crap to me. Not worth the break outs.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have extremely fair and oily/dry combination skin. It is hard to find a really good foundation that matches well and doesn't settle into my pores or fades after a few hours. I found that that porcelain #2 is the perfect match. I will say that it really drys matte but makes my face look flawless. In the winter my skin gets dry and flakes a bit, but then I use primer and I add some moisturizer into the mix and it goes on really smooth and still lasts all day. When I forget to wash my face it doesn't break me out so i sometimes don't have stress.

on 12/22/2011 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I will buy this again because this is the best foundation I have ever used or tried. It just helps me to turn my face into a uni-pattern & uni-color canvas where I can paint colors over it.
First of all it looks like a second skin, very natural while covering my broken capillaries, matches perfectly with my skin color (NW20 in Mac, 20 Clair is a perfect match, when I tan in the summer I match with 30 Cendre) , does not settle into my fine lines.
I have a combination skin, usually foundations highlight my dry parts but Mat Lumiere does not do such thing. I blot my forehead and nose 2 times during the whole day and night and that's it.
I set it with Chanel Loose Powder Universal in 20 Clair, another favorite.

on 9/15/2011 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I changed from my Helena Rubinstein foundation to this one in the summer, because at that moment my skin seemed to need a more yellow tinted foundation. ButÖit sets before you could spread just a bit, after a while it oxidizes and wonít stay in place. Iíve got combination skin but this makes my skin look oily, enhances my pores and fine lines. Iíve used it on top of my La Roche Posay Effaclair Mattifiant moisturizer (which I always use with HR foundation with great results), or used it directly on the bare skin. Tried several times both ways, it performed horrendous, without exception.
Iím purchasing my HR Spectacular foundation again!!