CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Black
CHANEL Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.4

Since I have oily skin, I decided to go on the hunt for a mattifying foundation that will not contribute to potential breakouts and will also leave me with nice looking skin (not too shiny and not too dull). A friend of mine recommended this foundation to me and I decided to give it a go; I got it colour-matched (the lady at the counter gave me a pinkish-undertone instead of a yellow-undertone which was a bit of a throw-off) and I've used it a couple of times. It's very thick in consistency and feels very heavy. It's an alright foundation I guess, but I feel like I didn't get what I paid for. It's a medium coverage and makes my face look very dull and cakey (have to contour a lot and apply blush to add dimension back to my face). Feels tacky. After first use, I broke out on my cheeks (where I applied most product).

Pro's: Packaging is great (glass bottle WITH pump – great bonus), wide range of colours (although I wish the makeup counter lady matched it properly).
Con's: Not for all day use, mattifies for only a short amount of time before I go oily again, too cakey and can't set it with a powder or else it looks too done-up, price is horrendous for the amount and quality of product, not good for night-time events due to SPF.

Overall, would not re-purchase, I would've expected more from a high-end foundation.

on 12/11/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Current Foundation.
Really like this product. Was previously using Chanel's Pefection Lumiere and I am a big Chanel fan. I switched to the Mat Lumiere when I realised that Pefection's slight "matte" coverage really wasn't enough for me. I was impressed that the price for the Mat Lumiere was about $10 cheaper for the same amount of product (30ml I think?) So that's a pro definitely.
The foundation is quite thick so you do have to work quickly with it as it is fast drying. I recommend using a duo fibre brush and doing a light layer. Leave it to set as it does Oxidise on the face and then go over with your usual foundation brush onto areas that need more coverage like under the eyes etc.
I wouldn't say its my "Holy Grail" foundation, but it's definitely a great Mat Foundation with that amazing Chanel packaging and Fragrance. Okay value for money and does definitely last me longer than the 12 months they say it will.
A+!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Upon first application this stuff is beautiful. But it fades pretty quick. It highlighted dry spots and looked cake-a-licious. It settled into pores and creased around my nose and settled into lines i didnt know i had. Lancome's new tient idole 24 hour is better than this and cheaper.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love the packaging, i think thats the only reason i havnt took it back, this compact is just so glamous, but however the main thing, the powder is sheer coverage, doesnt control my oil that well which i expected chanel could do better than that

on 12/26/2011 6:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Medium coverage if you have some scars dark spot will not covered all.
But good oil control powder and give glow finishing but not cakey. I got it quite dark so I would like to have lighter color for next time.

on 12/10/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

there's a lot of people saying that the Mat Lumiere doesn't give that flat matte look which I agree and totally love. It does give me a glowing finish but no shine. Coverage it says to be sheer to medium, but I believe it is buildable and can be almost full coverage because it is quite thick. Now since it is quite thick it does take a bit of effort blend it compare to VitaLumiere. Ok, now about the shades it is really disappointing because there's not much shades in UK compare to US. What's more disappointing is that the darkest shade in UK, 60 Hale' which I used is also discontinued. 60 is like for NC 30-35. the texture like I said it's thick, and it has a fragrance and quite strong actually. But it's not that alcohol-like smell which we always got in a matte foundation, it is actually quite florally and I actually like it, it's my first loving fragrance in makeup. If they got 60 Hale' again I would totally buy it. Now I'm trying the Lift Lumiere since they got the shade in 60.

on 11/11/2011 5:33:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Packaging - The product is housed in a heavy glass bottle with a pump dispenser. And that's all that I could ask for liquid foundations. The actual shade you see on the glass does not exactly translate on the skin so you have to take a skin swatch to check the shade.

Price - It's Chanel, need I say more?

Shade - Chanel Mat Lumiere has a limited range of shades, but at least I'm lucky enough that I have fair-medium skin so I use "Cendre". It goes a little pink on me, but I remedy that with a base adjuster. I wish they have more shades and undertones to suit a wide variety of skin tones.

Finish/Coverage - This is a medium to full coverage foundation, but you can work it sheerly if that's your preference. This also has a matte finish, and it photographs really pretty.

Consistency - This foundation is quite thick, so I have to work it w/ a foundation brush and work quickly as it dries quite fast too.

Verdict: All in all I like this foundation, this is a permanent staple on my rotation and I like wearing this on special occasions. Too bad Chanel will discontinue this.

on 10/11/2011 2:18:00 PM

This is one of the best foundations I've had. I'm on my third bottle. A little goes a long way. Also it's very deeply pigmented, so on days when I want sheer coverage, I mix it with some sunblock and it looks great, less formal, and more satiny.

on 9/14/2011 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This foundation is ok but not the best I ever tried. After a few hours my skin was already showing signs of oil and I had to put some powder to mattify it. Another thing that I donīt quite like is that itīs not very easy to apply as it dries very quickly so you really need to rush or it will cling on your skin.

on 8/21/2011 4:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I had really high hopes for this foundation but I find that it doesn't control my oilyness. In fact my skin is even more oily after using this foundation. The color that I got looks really orange in the container but once I apply it ..I don't see the orange tinge. The shade blends in well. Now if only I could have this foundation stay in place. I use this foundation with my amazing cosmetics primer and after a few hours I am really oily. The coverage is medium. Overall, I am not really impressed so I will not buy it again.