Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

on 11/1/2014 9:07:00 AM

Nice packaging, pretty easy to apply, covers some but not all of my redness. It is easy to build up if you'd like more coverage, but it made my pores more visible the more I buildt it up. I had to wear some powder on top of it, as it looked a bit shiny in my t-zone even right after applying it. It looked good for about 8 hours and had an OK oil control, but after five hours I had to keep repowdering a lot to make my face look shine free. I would probably have to apply more foundation if I were going out etc. in the evening when applied in the morning. With Estee Lauder Double wear and MAC pro longwear foundation, I don't need to do this. Not the best in it's class, but still makes my face look dewey and fresh for some hours.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have tried all various liquid Foundations and always come back to this one. It has great coverage, long lasting and doesn't have a smell! Packaging is luxurious and gorgeous, as it should be for the price! I have oily/combination skin, prone to chin breakouts, and for years used Clinique's oil free foundation. However they changed their formulation, and all of a sudden it became an awful product which I was lucky if it was still on by lunch time! My daughter also uses Chanel Matt Lumiere, so I tried hers and immediately wondered why I wasn't! I cant remember why I originally stopped using it, but I'm back with it now as my HG in liquid foundation. I love the fact that Chanel has no problem taking back, swapping items when required. So if I try a new product that doesn't live up to expectations then I feel safe in the knowledge I can get my money back or swap for an alternative product. IMHO I think it's prudent to spend more on your foundation, as it is the canvas for your makeup. You can then be more penny pinching on items such as lip liners and nail varnish. I really am a Chanel-O-Holic, but their nail varnish chips really quickly and I have lip liners that do just a good job as Chanel liners, at a fraction of the cost. Plus the money I save doing this means I can Purchase my signature scent Coco Chanel!

on 10/2/2013 8:50:00 AM

I used to love this product when I was younger but now I just find that it dries out my skin, it looks caked on even though i don't apply a lot, and I use no. 3 Cendre, it can look a bit orange at the end of the day, my skin is fair, so it is noticeable.

It is very matte, provides excellent coverage and very long lasting.

It is good during the summer months, i find that my skin can be a bit oily in summer, and if going out at night it's great because it lasts, for me, not ideal for winter.

on 9/9/2013 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Really loved how long this lasted on my oily skin!

on 8/4/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! It is the only foundation I have found that keeps my skin shine-free ALL DAY! It provides excellent coverage that lasts from morning to night. Love it!

on 7/24/2013 5:40:00 PM

didn´t like it, for me the coverage was to light, the shade 20 to yellow, it wasn´t long lasting, the price is skyhigh, will not buy again.

on 5/16/2013 5:49:00 PM

This makeup in shade Clair is perfect for my combination fair skin. It covers well and makes skin look glowing, but not oily.

Ever since Lancome's Teint Idole (the 14-hour version) was discontinued about a year and a half ago, I have been on a search for a foundation.

The old-formula Teint Idole was perfect for me, but after a fruitless search last year for a replacement foundation, now I'm not looking for a substitute that can give me daily perfection like the Teint Idole did, just one that is moderately suitable to wear occasionally, and I can't even find that.

Here is some background about my skin and things I have to watch out for when choosing a foundation:

a. My main limitation with foundation is that I can't use any that contain synthetic sunscreens. In my 30s, I began to get a rash from any skincare products containing them. My skin seems to be okay with natural sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (as far as I use them, which is sparingly, because I prefer daily-use skincare products that do not have sunscreen in them -- when I need sun protection, I add in a standalone sunscreen).

b. My t-zone is oily and has been all my life. I have to blot it throughout the day. My cheeks are normal.

c. I can break out with a smattering of pimples and blackheads relatively easily, and I am pretty quickly reactive if a product is going to be bad for my skin. I still have to wear benzoyl peroxide anti-acne medicine to bed every night, and I'm in my 40s.

d. I have large pores on my nose, but they appear smaller than they would naturally look because I use glycolic acid serum every day.

e. I have fewer wrinkles than the average woman my age. I've always had some freckles, and now I have some moderate sunspots too, but they don't bother me and I don't try to cover them specifically.

f. I am sensitive to artificial scents and they can irritate my eyes and sinuses.

g. I don't do well with several types of natural oils, either on my skin or hair.

h. In the last few years, my lips have been nearly constantly chapped (after years of doing everything I could from an external perspective to fix it, I now suspect it's due to a vitamin-absorption problem in my digestive system, and am now approaching it medically), and many skincare products can cause the lip chapping to get much worse, very quickly.

i. I have quite a bit of yellow in my facial complexion. My neck and chest tend to be paler and a little less yellow than my face. In the old-formula Teint Idole, Buff 2 (W) was perfect for me, all year 'round. I was designated at a MAC store to be NC20, as far as I can remember. (I think the sales assistant tried NC15, NC20, and NC25, but none of them were quite right, so I ended up not buying a foundation there.)

Last year, I prepared a long list of all the foundations I could find that had no sunscreen, and another list of foundations that had only natural sunscreens.

By this point, I have tried nearly all of them - a few were discontinued, some did not have a color match that even came close, some had such bad reviews that I gave them a pass, etc.

There are 3 left that I have not tried, all with titanium dioxide, all high-end products. They aren't available to sample or purchase at any retail location in a 75-mile radius from me, so I bought them online last week.

The Chanel Mat Lumiere is the first of the 3 that I tried, because I had such a good feeling about it from holding the bottle. :-)

Sadly, the foundation has not worked for me.

Positives:
-Does not have a noticeable scent.
-Medium coverage.
-Product consistency when first out of the bottle is nice and creamy.
-The glass bottle is sturdy, practical, elegant, and functional.
-I got the lightest color, which is not normal for me (in a full-range foundation line, usually I'm about the 2nd or 3rd color along from the lightest), and when it first goes on, the color matches great to my facial skin.
-Does not make my lips chap.
-Does not seem to clog my pores, but I only tried it for 2 full days.
-Does not transfer that badly to tissues and phones and such, but there is some transfer, which is understandable.
-Is not too hard to blend with fingers, but isn't the easiest, either.

Negatives:
-After it was on my skin, the shade darkened and yellowed over time. Since I've already got the lightest shade, I have no recourse. (They used to make at least 1 lighter shade in this product line, but not now.)
-From the very beginning, this looked bad on my t-zone, especially on my forehead. Out of dozens of foundations I've tried, only one has ever made my forehead look worse (and that one inexplicably had made my forehead look lumpy!) This product highlighted every wrinkle on my forehead, and created wrinkles that were not even there.
-This also never looked good on my nose. It didn't create that dreaded "spackled" look with my pores, which some foundations do, but it just looked wrong on my nose.
-This applied okay, and I had used a moisturizer all over my face beforehand, and I have an oily t-zone and normal-skin cheeks, but after a few hours this formula sucked up all the moisture that my skin had, and it made little dry flakes appear EVERYWHERE on my skin, even my always-really-oily upper eyelids, my oily nose, etc. As the product oxidized, the flakes began to look more yellow than the skin below them that they were pulling away from. It looked terrible.
-Towards the end of the second day I used the foundation, it began to irritate my eyes - the irritation wasn't from a scent, though.
-After I washed the foundation off at the end of the second day, my skin was dry and tight, there were still dry flakes all over (especially on my nose), and the skin of my upper eyelids was noticably flaky even after I put moisturizer on it--which hasn't happened to my eyelids since I had contact dermatitis about 18 years ago. ...So maybe this formula actually has a chemical ingredient that my skin is sensitive to.
-It did not look "luminous".

on 4/21/2013 5:30:00 AM

I love this makeup and am just about to finish my second or third bottle (I used to use the old chanel Matte foundation that this one replaced). I have fair and fairly freckly but good clear skin, and I find this foundation is super easy to apply (I just slap it onto my face with my fingers onto moisturised skin) and I swipe translucent powder over the top, which is really not needed but I do it anyway. It has a nice texture - thick but not too thick, and quite moist going on, but it sets quickly. It lasts all day without needing touchups or a powder. I would say that it is medium weight. You can still see my freckles through it but they are softened.

As another reviewer said the packaging can trick you into squirting it all over the walls or benchtop if you are not careful! However the suction pump does ensure you get every last bit of this expensive formula out of it. Also, a bottle lasts me a good ten months, with using it every day.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I went into myer and david jones in search of a foundation that would remain matte on my very oily t-zone but look healthy natural and touchable, not heavy which is a big ask I know but I thought I would try the high end brands and see what they have to offer. After being totally ignored at the Este Lauder Dior and Yves Saint Laurent counters, I found the mat lumiere liquid foundation at the Chanel counter and was excited as it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. The Chanel lady gave me incredibly helpful service and was absolutely lovely. Upon using the foundation it was ok not incredible but I thought I'd stick with it and see what I could do to work with it. I've now worn it about thirty times and it looks quite dull and heavy on my face. The colour doesn't remain true at all on my face, instead deteriorating into an oily, orange, blotchy and cakey mess by about lunch time. Not a huge colour selection either. At $72 it was a decent spend. The pump nozzle also seems to get clogged up right inside it and the foundation squirts like three separate little streams that squirt out really fast and get on the walls my clothes and travel amazingly far haha so that's inconvenient with blurry eyes first thing in the morning forgetting then having to clean up foundation off the walls. Wouldn't buy it again but the Chanel service was brilliant so there's an upside there! :)