Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have terrifically horribly oily skin, as well as very acne-prone skin. I've used a Benzyol Peroxide-gel for a couple of weeks to get rid of my acne, so it's better now than before, but still.

Anyway. I bought this foundation because I was really fed up with using foundation from the Body Shop - which looked cakey and oily on me. So I went into a department store and decided I'd buy a Chanel one, just because I think the packaging looked amazing.
The lady at the counter told me that Mat Lumire would fit me because of my oily skin, and so I bought it about 2 months ago.

The first month I was reaaaally let down. It didn't keep me matte for more than about an hour before I'd be oilier than a piece of bacon. I tried Chanel's powders and different primers, but nothing seemed to work. Then I changed from my L'Oral HydraFresh moisturiser to a new one from Nivea, and suddenly - BOOM, I was surprised by this foundation. Not only does it keep me matte the whole day, it doesn't have that overly-powdered look I hate so much. I don't really have to apply a primer before I use this, it stays on for ages - I put it on before I go to school, and I still have that newly-makeuped look when I take off my makeup right before bed.

The philosophy of Chanel is not to have a perfect skin with no colouration from acne scars etc etc, but to enhance your naturally beauty. Therefore the Mat Lumire foundation isn't even close to full-coverage, but it covers up the most essential, like my red areas around my nose and cheeks. I also love the luminous look I get from this, that always keeps me looking healthy and natural. I really recommend this one if you're looking for a high-class, everyday foundation to keep you matte and natural! x

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this foundation (40 Beige). It provides absolutely flawless coverage, minimizes pores, and makes skin look luminous while also providing long-lasting coverage (I have to blot after about six hours due to my very oily skin.) I set this with a very light dusting of the Double Perfection Natural Matte Powder (110 Light Beige); however, I also use Mac Blot (Medium-Dark) or the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder (003 Natural) with great results.

I switch between this and Diorskin Airflash, Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection, Georgio Armani Luminous Silk, Guerlain Parure Extreme, and Revlon Colorstay. I generally only use my fingertips for application and blending.

Pros:
1. Flawless coverage
2. Build-able coverage
3. Luminous finish
4. Long-lasting

Cons:
1. Price

Got to say, I love the way this makes my skin look! It is indeed matte, but it's not a flat matte at all, skin still has some luminosity without being full blown dewy- makes this product a winner for oily skin.
The shade selection isn't fantastic and Chanel have discontinued a few shades in the UK, including mine (5 faence). They tend to sway towards being very neutral, which in all fairness, is quite rare with a lot of brands as I find a lot to be very pink or very yellow and not natural looking.
I find this foundation applies best with either a sponge, beauty blender, or fingers. I usually apply all foundations with my ELF powder brush but it just made ML look too heavy- I think this may be because the foundation is so thick and creamy. When applied with the beauty blender, my skin looks completely poreless! Occasionally ML can look a bit heavy when first applied, but after about 20 minutes, when it's dried and settled a little, it just looks fantastic :)
Unlike ELDW, this product looks best on my skin when I begin to build up the coverage a little more- this is my go to foundation on a bad skin day. The coverage is definitely medium buildable.
But I find this foundation lets me down when I want to wear it for an everyday day at work. It doesn't last on my skin for as long as I need it to, and tends to get a little patchy after around six hours of wear. However, I do have very oily skin so this would probably hold up for around 8-10 hours on combination skin. I would not recommend this foundation for dry skin as it can cling to and accentuation dry patches- like most mattifying foundations.
Overall, this foundation doesn't work as an everyday product but for a night out or for a day when I'm running errands, I simply adore it :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

EDIT: I absolutely love this foundation so I am changing my review from 4 lippies to 5. I love the way this applies and I get a ton of compliments. I can wear this without any major breakouts/pore clogging issues if I am careful about proper removal (MAC Cleanse Off Oil is excellent. I am so glad I discovered it!). The only thing I would like is more staying power, but I can fix this with powder or primer. I am going to keep repurchasing this until I find something better, which I don't think will be soon!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This foundation has a gorgeous satiny finish that lasts me an 8-10 hour day. I didn't need a primer or powder. It goes on silky smooth and feels amazing. I would have loved this and repurchased this for the rest of my life, even though I consider it super expensive, if it just didn't clog my pores. I would even accept some minor clogging, but this gave me blackheads in places I've never had blackheads my entire life (ie, forehead) and near-teenage level breakouts in some areas. I remove my makeup really well, exfoliate regularly, and am in love with my Clarisonic, so I don't even want to know what this would do to someone who was doing less than me in terms of skincare. This is a shame because I really loved the way this foundation looked and lasted, and the color match was great (20 Clair for a MAC NW20). continued >>

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I have combination skin and I am prone to breakouts around my chin area even thou I am approaching 43. Mat Lumiere is currently on my list of favorite foundations. It applies well and I don't need much of it to do the job. It is not as full coverage as Revlon Colorstay but it does stay on for a long time and it keeps my forehead from looking shiny. I wore this foundation during the extreme heat we had in the summer of 2011 with temperatures reaching 110 for almost 3 weeks straight.
This foundation is not a miracle in a bottle but it is pretty darn good in my opinion. Mat Lumiere did not let me down. This is a pricey item (as most HE brands are) but worth every penny I had saved for it. My shade is Clair 20. I will buy this baby for as long as it is available and for as long as I have a job :)

I adore this product! Even though it's called mat, it doesn't look 'caked' on, in fact it feels very light in comparison to foundations such as 'MAC fix fluid' and looks very natural. It has great staying power, I can wear it for a full working day without the need for any touch ups.

on 7/13/2011 5:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

love this foundation it's so natural looking yet it really gives good coverage. i love that this products matt it's so easy to blend and the staying power is great.......i use the chanel matt powder over this and i don't have to touch my makeup up all day i would probably need to a sheet of bloting paper mid day but thats it :) UPDATE this stuff breaks me out like crazy it gives me 100s of tiney bumps all over my face each time i wear it and the thing that hurts the most is i'm stuck with this foundation because here in the uk we can't return products once they have been used. this is a very expensive regret for me :(

on 6/1/2011 7:14:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Being of a certain age, I decided it was time to change up my foundation. I've worn powder foundation for years and was always reluctant to change because of oil and oxidation. Most foundations turn orange on me and I hated looking . . . but I finally decided to try Chanel. This formula works well for me. The color is a good match and it does NOT oxidize at all.

I bought it during the winter so oil wasn't a big problem but by April I was fighting it. Initially I tried covering the oil with powders (including MAC Blot) and this turned everything into a horrible greasy mess. Just about the time I was ready to abandon this lovely foundation I decided to try blot papers instead and that did the trick. Around mid-day I blot everything with one (or two) Clean and Clear blot papers and that's it. The foundation stays put and looks almost like it did when applied originally.

The bottle itself is nice but I don't like the fact that you can't really tell how much is left. I knew i was getting low so I bought more but wasn't sure how low until the day the pump went pfffffft and gave up the last little sputters of foundation. The top is not easily removed and I waited until the pump gave out to force it off. This was a good thing because the top cracked a little. I used a make-up spatula to scrape out another 3 days worth of product. This seems silly until you see the price tag for a new bottle!

I'm happy with it now and am planning to continue using it. I bought my first bottle of this 5 months ago and will use the last drop today. The next bottle is ready to be opened tomorrow!

This is my favorite high end foundation; I like it over MAC, MUFE, NARS, Clinique, etc, but I just didn't like the price. I also wish they had a better color selection.

on 3/8/2011 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It's the best foundation I've ever tried! It's perfect for my skin type - combination- because it covers VERY WELL acne scars and also it has that fresh look, without being powdery! I have problems with acne scars, so I wanted a foundation that would cover them very well, but also to look natural, dewy.. And this is it! The color 40 suits me perfect, it's a golden tone.. I heard many people saying about Chanel that it has good colors. And that was a problem for me, because I never found a color to suit me better than this one. Try it!