Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have terrifically horribly oily skin, as well as very acne-prone skin. I've used a Benzyol Peroxide-gel for a couple of weeks to get rid of my acne, so it's better now than before, but still.

Anyway. I bought this foundation because I was really fed up with using foundation from the Body Shop - which looked cakey and oily on me. So I went into a department store and decided I'd buy a Chanel one, just because I think the packaging looked amazing.
The lady at the counter told me that Mat Lumire would fit me because of my oily skin, and so I bought it about 2 months ago.

The first month I was reaaaally let down. It didn't keep me matte for more than about an hour before I'd be oilier than a piece of bacon. I tried Chanel's powders and different primers, but nothing seemed to work. Then I changed from my L'Oral HydraFresh moisturiser to a new one from Nivea, and suddenly - BOOM, I was surprised by this foundation. Not only does it keep me matte the whole day, it doesn't have that overly-powdered look I hate so much. I don't really have to apply a primer before I use this, it stays on for ages - I put it on before I go to school, and I still have that newly-makeuped look when I take off my makeup right before bed.

The philosophy of Chanel is not to have a perfect skin with no colouration from acne scars etc etc, but to enhance your naturally beauty. Therefore the Mat Lumire foundation isn't even close to full-coverage, but it covers up the most essential, like my red areas around my nose and cheeks. I also love the luminous look I get from this, that always keeps me looking healthy and natural. I really recommend this one if you're looking for a high-class, everyday foundation to keep you matte and natural! x

on 11/1/2014 9:07:00 AM

Nice packaging, pretty easy to apply, covers some but not all of my redness. It is easy to build up if you'd like more coverage, but it made my pores more visible the more I buildt it up. I had to wear some powder on top of it, as it looked a bit shiny in my t-zone even right after applying it. It looked good for about 8 hours and had an OK oil control, but after five hours I had to keep repowdering a lot to make my face look shine free. I would probably have to apply more foundation if I were going out etc. in the evening when applied in the morning. With Estee Lauder Double wear and MAC pro longwear foundation, I don't need to do this. Not the best in it's class, but still makes my face look dewey and fresh for some hours.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I had been using Clinique's oil-free foundation when I decided it was time I picked out a new foundation. I loved mine (is great at oil control and looks & feels very natural on the skin), but it had a sheer coverage. So I started asking my friends and looking for reviews about several foundations. I was recommended this one, thought "Wow, pricey, but it is Chanel. Maybe it's worth it!" and got a sample at a Sephora store.

First of all, the one I got did not match my skin tone at all. My faced looked so orange and artificial! Once again, a bad experience with Sephora's employees.
Secondly, it is an extremely heavy foundation: it feels like paint on your face, which is just awful to me since I have oily skin and a preference for looking natural.
And the worst is it has sheer to medium coverage when that's not what Chanel describes.

Overall, this foundation made me look like a fake painted orange. Awesome, right? Thank God I got a sample before buying it! I don't recommend this product at all and I'm not buying it for sure. It's a pricey crap.

on 7/24/2013 5:40:00 PM

didn´t like it, for me the coverage was to light, the shade 20 to yellow, it wasn´t long lasting, the price is skyhigh, will not buy again.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this for about a week and so far, it's my most preferred foundation. I also have the Vitalumiere Aqua Compact from Chanel and love the finish of that one more, but I have oily skin and it's summer so... I have this in 5 Naturel and I'm about an nc40. Honestly it's a hint too light, but I top this foundation off with the perfection Lumiere powder in B60 which is my skin color, so it looks almost perfect. I also have oily, sensitive skin that loves to eat foundation. The first time I tried this foundation, I didn't like it because my face literally does eat it up and it becomes patchy quickly. However, with some testing, I've discovered that using the chanel illuminating base helps keep it on longer. Since its summer, I've been using Phillis's milk of magnesia as a primer, and this helps it last a really nice amount of time, and it doesn't get too oily. I wore it today from 8-4 and it didn't look super great at the end of the day, but I honestly didn't expect it to. It help up pretty well, although it did get patchy in some areas. However, I did just start tazorac and my skin is kind of problematic right now, so maybe it was just a rough skin day. Anyway, I gave this an overall 4 because I do really like it, but I do have to prime and powder with this, and it doesn't last more than 7 hours on me.

on 11/14/2012 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I find this foundation horrible - it oxidises and looks flakey and feels so heavy on my skin. The only way I'm able to use it up is by mixing it 50/50 with a thick sunscreen which gets rid of the dark orange cast and helps it smooth over the skin a little better. I have super oily skin but this stuff actually makes the tip of my nose and cheeks look dry when worn on it's own. I regret trying something other than my favourite by another brand and certainly won't repurchase!

on 3/20/2012 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No. No. & NO. a SA suggested this for my oily skin at the chanel counter so I bought this in natural. This was way too heavy of a foundation in my skin. I am more of a light foundation person. My face looked too made up and this made my skin break out like crazy! As for oil control I don't think it did a good job either. It caked up around my cheek area and forehead. I could tell the first time I put it on that my skin couldn't breathe at all. Not to mention how expensive it was. This was crap to me. Not worth the break outs.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this foundation (40 Beige). It provides absolutely flawless coverage, minimizes pores, and makes skin look luminous while also providing long-lasting coverage (I have to blot after about six hours due to my very oily skin.) I set this with a very light dusting of the Double Perfection Natural Matte Powder (110 Light Beige); however, I also use Mac Blot (Medium-Dark) or the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder (003 Natural) with great results.

I switch between this and Diorskin Airflash, Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection, Georgio Armani Luminous Silk, Guerlain Parure Extreme, and Revlon Colorstay. I generally only use my fingertips for application and blending.

Pros:
1. Flawless coverage
2. Build-able coverage
3. Luminous finish
4. Long-lasting

Cons:
1. Price

Got to say, I love the way this makes my skin look! It is indeed matte, but it's not a flat matte at all, skin still has some luminosity without being full blown dewy- makes this product a winner for oily skin.
The shade selection isn't fantastic and Chanel have discontinued a few shades in the UK, including mine (5 faence). They tend to sway towards being very neutral, which in all fairness, is quite rare with a lot of brands as I find a lot to be very pink or very yellow and not natural looking.
I find this foundation applies best with either a sponge, beauty blender, or fingers. I usually apply all foundations with my ELF powder brush but it just made ML look too heavy- I think this may be because the foundation is so thick and creamy. When applied with the beauty blender, my skin looks completely poreless! Occasionally ML can look a bit heavy when first applied, but after about 20 minutes, when it's dried and settled a little, it just looks fantastic :)
Unlike ELDW, this product looks best on my skin when I begin to build up the coverage a little more- this is my go to foundation on a bad skin day. The coverage is definitely medium buildable.
But I find this foundation lets me down when I want to wear it for an everyday day at work. It doesn't last on my skin for as long as I need it to, and tends to get a little patchy after around six hours of wear. However, I do have very oily skin so this would probably hold up for around 8-10 hours on combination skin. I would not recommend this foundation for dry skin as it can cling to and accentuation dry patches- like most mattifying foundations.
Overall, this foundation doesn't work as an everyday product but for a night out or for a day when I'm running errands, I simply adore it :)

on 11/11/2011 5:33:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Packaging - The product is housed in a heavy glass bottle with a pump dispenser. And that's all that I could ask for liquid foundations. The actual shade you see on the glass does not exactly translate on the skin so you have to take a skin swatch to check the shade.

Price - It's Chanel, need I say more?

Shade - Chanel Mat Lumiere has a limited range of shades, but at least I'm lucky enough that I have fair-medium skin so I use "Cendre". It goes a little pink on me, but I remedy that with a base adjuster. I wish they have more shades and undertones to suit a wide variety of skin tones.

Finish/Coverage - This is a medium to full coverage foundation, but you can work it sheerly if that's your preference. This also has a matte finish, and it photographs really pretty.

Consistency - This foundation is quite thick, so I have to work it w/ a foundation brush and work quickly as it dries quite fast too.

Verdict: All in all I like this foundation, this is a permanent staple on my rotation and I like wearing this on special occasions. Too bad Chanel will discontinue this.