Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

on 2/19/2016 1:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This foundation didn't work for me as it made my combination skin really oily after a couple of hours. The colour match for my NW15 skin was great though and right after application, my skin looked lovely. The result however, didn't last. Not for me.

on 7/4/2014 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample at a store in Poland. I've read on some places it is discontinued this Feb, 2014 because Chanel introduced a new foundation: Perfection Lumiere.

MY SKIN: After using a cleanser and toner for dry, sensitive skin, my skin feels very tight and dry. During summer I apply light moisturizers for oily skin. I have dry flakes from pimples. After 2 hrs my skin is oily. It is sensitive, too, so I have to be very gentle toward my skin since it becomes red just by tapping it into the towel. I have redness on my cheeks near the nose all the time. I am allways red - haven't found anything effective. This are the main reasons I opt for foundations: to neutralize redness and to hide imperfections like pimples, blackheads (nose) and fill-up my pores. I hate my skin. I have cystic acne - at least one pimple; wake up every morning with one new zit.... Blah, blah.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Upon application it matches my skin tone very good. I wear Bourjois CC Cream in shade 31 and 123 Perfect Foundation in shade 51; Healthy Mix in 52 is rather dark for me atm (there's no HM in 51 where I live). This foundation is easy to blend: I've put dots on my face and using the Real Technique's Buffing Brush I blended the foundation into my skin. It does cling to dry patches. The overall effect isn't matte, it isn't dewy but semi-matte. It is enough semi-matte that you can choose whether you want the foundation to set it with a mattifying powder. Since I have oily skin which tends to shine, I did set it with a mattifying powder (Rimmel Matte Pressed Powder). The powder is no good: it isn't finely milled; I would recommend any other than this one. The coverage of Mat Lumiere is medium. You can 'increase' the coverage if you want, but I like it the more natural style.

REVIEW: After two hours it look like freshly applied, after three and a half of hours it look still nice, kind of dewy. In total, I got 5 hours of wear time without any need for powdering. After 5 hours I looked horribly oily, like a new layer was added. Really embarrassing. I powdered my whole face and it looked cakey, but this may be due a cheap, not overly finely milled Rimmel mattifying powder. I was wearing the foundation for 8 hours, and there was a lot of foundation left. It could go for 10 hours; it didn't slip of my face nor did it 'break'.

Honestly, it's a decent foundation, but I have been expecting a better oil control, considering it's called 'Mat'. And, they labeled it as a 'Long Lasting' foundation. Well, for the price of US$73 (yup, that's how much it cost in most parts in Europe!), I would expect really more from it. Especially, considering how Bourjois 123 Perfection Foundation performs on my skin.

I would recommend trying a sample first to see how it acts on (someone else) skin. But for me, it is not worth buying. I would be happy if the price was 2-3 times lower.
I am glad that the SA gave me a sample to try it out first.

I have also got a sample of Perfection Lumiere, Vitalumiere Aqua and Estee Lauder's Double Wear.
Perfection Lumier was horrible after 3 hours. The cheek-near-the-nose par was bad at that point: some of the foundation vanished, and my pores were accentuate by the foundation, like the foundation 'got stuck'.
The same was with VA. But, this foundation looks so pretty once applied for 3 hours! Very natural, and covered all the redness, imperfections and pores really nice. After 3,5 hr you can see it started to wear off. The good thing is, this is the milestone point for this foundation. After that, it stayed that way, it didn't get worse. It was noticable I had foundation alright, but it wasn't bad either. But, Bourjois CC foundation performs better, tbh., and for US$60 vs. US$13 I know what decision I would make.

I tried hard to like Chanel's foundations. I want a higher end one, but this was really disappointing. I cannot believe how Bourjois makes such good foundations! If they were in a sleek, Chanel-like bottle, you could think that Bourjois is a HE!

I'm giving it 4 lippies because:
- it may be a good one for someone less oily
- nice, silky smooth upon application, effect & natural appearance
- staying power is not bad either, but you shall have a mattifying powder in purse, or any blot thing

I don't like:
- price, obviously, because for this price I expected better oil control

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Overall, great foundation. Chanel foundation formulas seem to be safe for my skin. I don't get allergic reactions, breakouts or clogs. However, finding the right formula was a bit of a challenge. In the past, I've owned Vitalumiere (too hydrating) and Perfection Lumiere (too drying and flat). Mat Lumiere gives a glow to the skin yet doesn't make you look greasy nor does it cling on to dry patches. It is the perfect level of matte and hydration. I do love this foundation.

The shade I wear is 40 Beige. I am 57 in Kat Von D, 6.0 in Urban Decay and 060 in Shiseido.

The coverage is medium. I find it doesn't really build to full coverage when layered. To cover stubborn spots, I would rather use a concealer than this foundation.

The texture is light. I can't feel it on the skin.

The longevity is pending. Winter and seditary, it will last all day. I'm not sure yet about summer and activity. *Will update

The bad news: This will soon be discontinued. Starting in February 2014, Chanel will be stopping the production of Mat Lumiere and introducing a reformulation for their Perfection Lumiere to be a matte formula. I'm not excited about this because I really dislike the original Perfection Lumiere formula so I will be crossing my fingers that the new one will be a lot better.

on 6/7/2013 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I got chanel matte in #30 cendre..it is good coverage.almost full.covered all my redness in one go.no conceler..drys a bit too quickly, had to use my fingers as it dried too fast for me to work it with a brush..is a sumwhat thick, globby texture..(nothing like nars or tarte's clay or even mufe matte velvet, those where all very creamy except nars was a thin silky liquid) has a soft rose smell.I like it.would probly be too dry for dry skin.I have dry spots around my nose& a forehead but its not clinging to them.has a light powdery look.feels nice on a bit on the dry side.inside it looks amazing but out in bright sunlight it looks like it clings to sum rough spots but ive had it look worse with some.after a few hours i liked it better, wasnt so heavy looking, not that i found it to be real heavy but it shure isnt the lightest or natural feeling that ive used.lasted along time with no primer.8/9hrs but im not oily..overall I really love this I will make shure to buy a back up soon as ive heard from a few places online as well as the girl at nordstrom that this might not be around much longer, I just hope not anytime soon.I luv putting this on top of other foundations for that soft focus look.*** I EMAILED chanel thru their website&asked if they plan on it, or something&got a reply back this morn saying they havent heard that they are but they have discontinued such &such shade.wich says to me that it probly will be discontinued sumtime down the rd, I mean it seemed they wipedout all the darker shades.or a lot of em.I only saw up to shade 40 at the makeup counter.

on 5/16/2013 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

meh meh. When the price overshadows all other concerns, then you don't really have a great product.

this foundation is good.. but not great. It has good coverage but a bit on the cakey side mostly due to it's heavy consistency (thus the matte). I don't find the luminosity in it and I only use it at night as it feels/looks heavy during the morning hours.

The older I get the less caked up I need to be.

Good but not worth the money for this foundation.

Ever since Lancome's Teint Idole (the 14-hour version) was discontinued about a year and a half ago, I have been on a search for a foundation.

The old-formula Teint Idole was perfect for me, but after a fruitless search last year for a replacement foundation, now I'm not looking for a substitute that can give me daily perfection like the Teint Idole did, just one that is moderately suitable to wear occasionally, and I can't even find that.

Here is some background about my skin and things I have to watch out for when choosing a foundation:

a. My main limitation with foundation is that I can't use any that contain synthetic sunscreens. In my 30s, I began to get a rash from any skincare products containing them. My skin seems to be okay with natural sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (as far as I use them, which is sparingly, because I prefer daily-use skincare products that do not have sunscreen in them -- when I need sun protection, I add in a standalone sunscreen).

b. My t-zone is oily and has been all my life. I have to blot it throughout the day. My cheeks are normal.

c. I can break out with a smattering of pimples and blackheads relatively easily, and I am pretty quickly reactive if a product is going to be bad for my skin. I still have to wear benzoyl peroxide anti-acne medicine to bed every night, and I'm in my 40s.

d. I have large pores on my nose, but they appear smaller than they would naturally look because I use glycolic acid serum every day.

e. I have fewer wrinkles than the average woman my age. I've always had some freckles, and now I have some moderate sunspots too, but they don't bother me and I don't try to cover them specifically.

f. I am sensitive to artificial scents and they can irritate my eyes and sinuses.

g. I don't do well with several types of natural oils, either on my skin or hair.

h. In the last few years, my lips have been nearly constantly chapped (after years of doing everything I could from an external perspective to fix it, I now suspect it's due to a vitamin-absorption problem in my digestive system, and am now approaching it medically), and many skincare products can cause the lip chapping to get much worse, very quickly.

i. I have quite a bit of yellow in my facial complexion. My neck and chest tend to be paler and a little less yellow than my face. In the old-formula Teint Idole, Buff 2 (W) was perfect for me, all year 'round. I was designated at a MAC store to be NC20, as far as I can remember. (I think the sales assistant tried NC15, NC20, and NC25, but none of them were quite right, so I ended up not buying a foundation there.)

Last year, I prepared a long list of all the foundations I could find that had no sunscreen, and another list of foundations that had only natural sunscreens.

By this point, I have tried nearly all of them - a few were discontinued, some did not have a color match that even came close, some had such bad reviews that I gave them a pass, etc.

There are 3 left that I have not tried, all with titanium dioxide, all high-end products. They aren't available to sample or purchase at any retail location in a 75-mile radius from me, so I bought them online last week.

The Chanel Mat Lumiere is the first of the 3 that I tried, because I had such a good feeling about it from holding the bottle. :-)

Sadly, the foundation has not worked for me.

Positives:
-Does not have a noticeable scent.
-Medium coverage.
-Product consistency when first out of the bottle is nice and creamy.
-The glass bottle is sturdy, practical, elegant, and functional.
-I got the lightest color, which is not normal for me (in a full-range foundation line, usually I'm about the 2nd or 3rd color along from the lightest), and when it first goes on, the color matches great to my facial skin.
-Does not make my lips chap.
-Does not seem to clog my pores, but I only tried it for 2 full days.
-Does not transfer that badly to tissues and phones and such, but there is some transfer, which is understandable.
-Is not too hard to blend with fingers, but isn't the easiest, either.

Negatives:
-After it was on my skin, the shade darkened and yellowed over time. Since I've already got the lightest shade, I have no recourse. (They used to make at least 1 lighter shade in this product line, but not now.)
-From the very beginning, this looked bad on my t-zone, especially on my forehead. Out of dozens of foundations I've tried, only one has ever made my forehead look worse (and that one inexplicably had made my forehead look lumpy!) This product highlighted every wrinkle on my forehead, and created wrinkles that were not even there.
-This also never looked good on my nose. It didn't create that dreaded "spackled" look with my pores, which some foundations do, but it just looked wrong on my nose.
-This applied okay, and I had used a moisturizer all over my face beforehand, and I have an oily t-zone and normal-skin cheeks, but after a few hours this formula sucked up all the moisture that my skin had, and it made little dry flakes appear EVERYWHERE on my skin, even my always-really-oily upper eyelids, my oily nose, etc. As the product oxidized, the flakes began to look more yellow than the skin below them that they were pulling away from. It looked terrible.
-Towards the end of the second day I used the foundation, it began to irritate my eyes - the irritation wasn't from a scent, though.
-After I washed the foundation off at the end of the second day, my skin was dry and tight, there were still dry flakes all over (especially on my nose), and the skin of my upper eyelids was noticably flaky even after I put moisturizer on it--which hasn't happened to my eyelids since I had contact dermatitis about 18 years ago. ...So maybe this formula actually has a chemical ingredient that my skin is sensitive to.
-It did not look "luminous".

on 9/18/2012 8:19:00 AM

This is the only foundation that was working on my skin (did not cause me breakouts, which I got from any other foundation I've tried). It stays nice on the skin for hours, has decent smell and it offers good coverage- I use only a bit every day. I am using it for 6 months now. I recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin and combination/ oily areas that has a hard time finding the right foundation.Its worth trying!

on 8/24/2012 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

After 6 months of frequent use (used on and off for about a year), I've finally come to the conclusion that this was clogging my pores and one of the things contributing to my horrific breakouts. My skin has gone completely apesh!t this year and after eliminating everything from my regimen and starting from scratch, I can definitely say this foundation is a pore clogger for me. I have sensitive/combo/slightly dehydrated/acne prone skin.

Pros:
- Purchased this in 30 and the shade match is purrrfect.
- Offers medium coverage and hides acne scars pretty well
- Good/great lasting power depending on the season when used with a primer (6 hours in sweaty summer before I need to blot, no blotting needed in winter)
- Packaging is pretty; I like the pump and the look of the glass bottle
- Blends well
- Photographs beautifully

Cons:
- Expensive..I think it was over fiddy bones before taxes
- Can sometimes feel like you're wearing foundation but that only happens when I don't wear a primer underneath
- Pore clogger

I previously used Pro Lumiere which didn't give me any problems, but now that it's been discontinued, I will need to take a moment of silence to mourn its loss :(

I think this would be a great foundation for gals without problem skin. It blends very well, can hide pretty much anything, and holds up throughout the day. Unfortunately for me, I will continue my search for something else.

on 8/17/2012 3:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

1 star for the color match
2 star for oil control
3 star for the packing.

The color shell is a perfect match for my skin, dead on. Its a matte foundation so it controls my oily T-zone rather well. I don't powder, yet it doesn't run or get overly cakey after a long day. If I did powder, I'm sure it would control my oils even better. Too bad, I'm lazy. I love the Chanel packaging. A pump with a clean rectangular prism bottle.

However, I do not like my foundation to have a smell to it. I have sensitive skin. Repeated wear makes my skin itch. I would only go to this foundation when I'm heading for a night out on the town. Secondly, it's ridiculously pricey. Another reason why I use this foundation sparingly.

My second bottle of Mat lumiere foundation..It;s great if you looking for something luxurious since Chanel foundations are quite pricey. Medium coverage, smells fantastic. Looks great in photos..