Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

on 7/4/2014 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample at a store in Poland. I've read on some places it is discontinued this Feb, 2014 because Chanel introduced a new foundation: Perfection Lumiere.

MY SKIN: After using a cleanser and toner for dry, sensitive skin, my skin feels very tight and dry. During summer I apply light moisturizers for oily skin. I have dry flakes from pimples. After 2 hrs my skin is oily. It is sensitive, too, so I have to be very gentle toward my skin since it becomes red just by tapping it into the towel. I have redness on my cheeks near the nose all the time. I am allways red - haven't found anything effective. This are the main reasons I opt for foundations: to neutralize redness and to hide imperfections like pimples, blackheads (nose) and fill-up my pores. I hate my skin. I have cystic acne - at least one pimple; wake up every morning with one new zit.... Blah, blah.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Upon application it matches my skin tone very good. I wear Bourjois CC Cream in shade 31 and 123 Perfect Foundation in shade 51; Healthy Mix in 52 is rather dark for me atm (there's no HM in 51 where I live). This foundation is easy to blend: I've put dots on my face and using the Real Technique's Buffing Brush I blended the foundation into my skin. It does cling to dry patches. The overall effect isn't matte, it isn't dewy but semi-matte. It is enough semi-matte that you can choose whether you want the foundation to set it with a mattifying powder. Since I have oily skin which tends to shine, I did set it with a mattifying powder (Rimmel Matte Pressed Powder). The powder is no good: it isn't finely milled; I would recommend any other than this one. The coverage of Mat Lumiere is medium. You can 'increase' the coverage if you want, but I like it the more natural style.

REVIEW: After two hours it look like freshly applied, after three and a half of hours it look still nice, kind of dewy. In total, I got 5 hours of wear time without any need for powdering. After 5 hours I looked horribly oily, like a new layer was added. Really embarrassing. I powdered my whole face and it looked cakey, but this may be due a cheap, not overly finely milled Rimmel mattifying powder. I was wearing the foundation for 8 hours, and there was a lot of foundation left. It could go for 10 hours; it didn't slip of my face nor did it 'break'.

Honestly, it's a decent foundation, but I have been expecting a better oil control, considering it's called 'Mat'. And, they labeled it as a 'Long Lasting' foundation. Well, for the price of US$73 (yup, that's how much it cost in most parts in Europe!), I would expect really more from it. Especially, considering how Bourjois 123 Perfection Foundation performs on my skin.

I would recommend trying a sample first to see how it acts on (someone else) skin. But for me, it is not worth buying. I would be happy if the price was 2-3 times lower.
I am glad that the SA gave me a sample to try it out first.

I have also got a sample of Perfection Lumiere, Vitalumiere Aqua and Estee Lauder's Double Wear.
Perfection Lumier was horrible after 3 hours. The cheek-near-the-nose par was bad at that point: some of the foundation vanished, and my pores were accentuate by the foundation, like the foundation 'got stuck'.
The same was with VA. But, this foundation looks so pretty once applied for 3 hours! Very natural, and covered all the redness, imperfections and pores really nice. After 3,5 hr you can see it started to wear off. The good thing is, this is the milestone point for this foundation. After that, it stayed that way, it didn't get worse. It was noticable I had foundation alright, but it wasn't bad either. But, Bourjois CC foundation performs better, tbh., and for US$60 vs. US$13 I know what decision I would make.

I tried hard to like Chanel's foundations. I want a higher end one, but this was really disappointing. I cannot believe how Bourjois makes such good foundations! If they were in a sleek, Chanel-like bottle, you could think that Bourjois is a HE!

I'm giving it 4 lippies because:
- it may be a good one for someone less oily
- nice, silky smooth upon application, effect & natural appearance
- staying power is not bad either, but you shall have a mattifying powder in purse, or any blot thing

I don't like:
- price, obviously, because for this price I expected better oil control

on 2/9/2014 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

At first i loved using the Chanel Mat Lumiere, it had a subtle scent to it which i was fine with. The foundation had great coverage and with using the right primer it did stay matt for a decent time as i have oily skin. However, i realised that this foundation oxidises, it made me look i had a tan gone wrong. if you do have oily skin and you are interested in this foundation, my personal opinion is to start with a sample and one shade lighter than what your colour match is .
If you have super/oily skin, try using Hourglass Immaculate Powder Foundation :)

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Overall, great foundation. Chanel foundation formulas seem to be safe for my skin. I don't get allergic reactions, breakouts or clogs. However, finding the right formula was a bit of a challenge. In the past, I've owned Vitalumiere (too hydrating) and Perfection Lumiere (too drying and flat). Mat Lumiere gives a glow to the skin yet doesn't make you look greasy nor does it cling on to dry patches. It is the perfect level of matte and hydration. I do love this foundation.

The shade I wear is 40 Beige. I am 57 in Kat Von D, 6.0 in Urban Decay and 060 in Shiseido.

The coverage is medium. I find it doesn't really build to full coverage when layered. To cover stubborn spots, I would rather use a concealer than this foundation.

The texture is light. I can't feel it on the skin.

The longevity is pending. Winter and seditary, it will last all day. I'm not sure yet about summer and activity. *Will update

The bad news: This will soon be discontinued. Starting in February 2014, Chanel will be stopping the production of Mat Lumiere and introducing a reformulation for their Perfection Lumiere to be a matte formula. I'm not excited about this because I really dislike the original Perfection Lumiere formula so I will be crossing my fingers that the new one will be a lot better.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I work at a Chanel makeup counter, so I decided to take home a sample of the Mat Lumiere foundation since I have such oily skin. Never in my life had I seen such amazing oil control from a foundation! I can have it on for hours and have barely any oil, which is saying something because I usually have to blot and powder my face about an hour after my makeup application. Great buildable coverage, it never looks cakey on my skin. It matches my skin tone perfectly and feels so nice on my face. Only problem I have with it is that it's a bit pricey, but I'm paying for the quality also! A definite must for people who want a long wearing, oil control foundation.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love the packaging, i think thats the only reason i havnt took it back, this compact is just so glamous, but however the main thing, the powder is sheer coverage, doesnt control my oil that well which i expected chanel could do better than that

on 1/18/2012 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING!
My skin...
Colour: MAC NW20
Age: 14 with super oily skin and pimples.
Skin type: Oily on cheeks, nose and top of forehead.
Dry on chin, temples and sides of face.

This foundation is amazing! I have tried several foundations such as MAC Select SPF 15, MAC match master, Covergirl Nature Luxe and Covergirl Clean and NOTHING compares to this foundation.

Mat Lumiere does what it advertises. It makes my skin mat, and gives brilliant oil control and covering of oil. It provides a brilliant coverage for me, as I like my foundations to be light but covering and not cakey and thick. This foundation is buildable for a nighttime look or for those girls that like more coverage. In Australia I paid $72 for a 30ml bottle. I was hesitant at first but when the girl put it on my skin I realised I was completely wrong, and the foundation was perfect for me. I will definitely be repurchasing and I recommend it to the girls out there with oily and/or acne prone skin that are looking for a lightweight, fresh, non pore clogging, oil control, mat finish foundation :)
Oh and I dont no what it smells like but it smells AMAZING!
ITS WORTH THE MONEY GIRLS!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is my go to foundation for colder weather. Normally, I wear studio fix fluid or estee lauder double wear, but this foundation is not as drying as the ones I usually wear. My favorite thing about this foundation is the color match. As a black woman, I have a really difficult time finding a perfect match, but I have finally found one in this foundation. My shade in this is Cedar. Ladies who feel like they rarely have a match-especially in MAC foundations, please get a sample of this color. In MAC, I feel like I am between an NC45 and an NC50. I can never get a perfect match in any foundation. But this one is spot on.
The cons to this foundation are the cost-it is crazy expensive. And, it doesn't last as long as double wear. But, the finish is so luminous and so natural, that I don't mind.
For ladies with bad skin, but still want natural looking skin with a good amount of coverage-this may be the foundation for you if you can find a color match.

on 10/1/2011 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my all-time favorite foundation! I have very very oily skin, like shiny in about 30-60 min after cleansing, and this foundation holds it. Though i do have acne-prone skin, i even had cystic acne, it was more hormonal, so this foundation was something i found to not break me out. I did try cheaper brands such as maybeline's dream matte mouse, rimmel, revlon and max factor, all these actually caused acne flare ups, where as this one held my skin constant, hence why i am still using this 5 years on.
Just as long as you wash your face free of the foundation when not needed, you shouldn't break out from it.
Pros: Very matte, perfect colour match- 30 cendre(could be used as a 'concealer'), looks great in photos and packaging is very hygienic and easy
Cons: extremely expensive- i live in australia so it costs me $60-$75 depending on when it is on sale or not, runs out quickly for me as it is a 30ml bottle
Overall i would recommend this foundation to anyone who has oily to very oily skin, but if you have large pores, make sure you use a pore minimising primer underneath as it is very mattifying which will exaggerate pores.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

This is a good foundation. Not a great foundation.

I first tried Vitalumiere Aqua at the suggestion of the SA. She was very insistent that it would hold up to my oily skin. Nope. It was a beautiful foundation, but simply couldn't cope with the onlsaught of oil manufactured by my sebacious glands. She's not the first to underestimate my glands.

So I went back to try the Mat Lumiere.

It blends well, covers well, and keeps my skin oil free for about....3 hours, which is as good as I ever expect from any foundation. I will say that when I did have some oil breakthrough, it was minimal.

However...it is not better than the Almay TLC that I've been using recently. In fact, I think the Almay is superior. It keeps me matte longer, have lighter coverage so looks more natural, camouflages pores better (I had a hard time getting covering them with the Mat Lumiere) and gives me a better color match. And I don't think I need to mention the price difference.

So, in summary, this is an adequate product that does what it claims. But for the price, I expect something outstanding. This just wasn't outstanding. I'll stick with my $13 Almay TLC.

FOOTNOTE: I forgot to mention that with both Aqua and Mat Lumiere, the color changed dramatically after application. I thought, with the first sample, it was simply too dark. But with the second, which was actually lighter than my skin tone, it also turned very dark and orangey. I don't know if it's the oil in my skin or if it's some defect of the makeup. Whichever the case, it's clear to me that the much adored Chanel foundations do not work for me.

on 7/7/2011 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I have an oily sensitive skin, lots of blemishes, acne scars, broken vessels. This foundation is simply horrible. I was shiny after 15min, makeup glided off my face, leaving no trace of its existence after 2h. Its so packed with silicones that it broke me out. The coverage is sheer to non-existent. Stay away if your complexion is anythng but perfect.