Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

I love this foundation! As soon as I saw the advertisment in my Australia Vogue October, I had to have it. Was released as a fall foundation (with an illuminating pen like that of Touche Eclat, and a compact), and is designed to be an illuminating/radiance foundation with a mat finish, so no shininess that most illuminating foundations have. Has not yet been loaded onto the Chanel site. This is a very fluidy foundation, from a pump bottle exactly like that of Pro Lumiere (but taller and slimmer). About a pump and a half covers my face and neck when using a foundation brush. I would call this a foundation for anytime of the year (especially Autumn and Winter) as it is a glowy foundation but provides a sophisticated matte finish. I used this today, on moisturised skin, no primer. It looked simply beautiful, it had an elegant, soft finish but a youthful glow to it. I was at my hairdressers and just could not stop peeking at my pretty complexion. Lasted well for about 7 hours, shinefree. It is designed to be long lasting but after 7 hours some oilies peeked through. But thats okay, I will buy the compact for touchups. I love the effect of this foudnation too much to care about my sneeky oils. I feel sophisticated, and classy when wearing this, but still have a pretty youthful glow to me. I would call this a medium coverage. The shade Cendre is an absolute match to my skintone, so maybe thats why it has worked so well for me. Was $81 NZD which I think is good for Chanel. I would definitly purchase again, it has become my HG foundation along with YSL Radiant Touch Brush Foundation.

For those of you wondering about the ingredients. this is them as listed on the back of the box as follows...

Aqua, Isododecane, Titianium dioxide, Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Polyethylacrylate, Steric Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Alumina, Ethylene/Propylene Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Propylparaben, Alcohol, Peg-8, Tocopherol, Aliminium Hydroxide, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Denatonium Benzoate.
[+/- (May contain) CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium dioxide), Mica]

on 9/27/2007 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was on the look out for a MATTE foundation either powder or liquid.. This was my experience for one day. Note that SAs were the ones who were applying foundations on me with brush on one side and sponge on the other so that I can see the difference (too demanding?lol). I tried GA MSF; the darkest shade doesn't match my skin but I'd say it's a good one! Px;SA can't find anything that matches my skin and had to do custom blend but I wasn't sure if it's gonna be the one I am looking for. MUFE Mat Velvet +; I hate to say that I don't like their liquid foundations on me coz they actually sit on my pores, lines. Guerlain 2 different liquid foundations which I've forgotten the names; The SA matched a shade that's too ashy for me and plus it was a bit heavy for my taste (matte one) and the other foundation just tried a bit on the other cheek but was a bit dewy and not I am looking for. Shiseido Powder foundation; The darkest shade was too light for my skin but it was a nice texture. NARS powder foundation; Wow! I can't even say that I am wearing a foundation and neither the SA, No matter how much I put it doesn't cake at all and I love it instantly! I bought it, but then came back the next day coz when I got home I was really frustrated to see my face looked like a brown pearl! It was shiny and the color changed! :( So the next day, I returned it, I went to Dior and I did like their new compact flawless but then again the darkest shade was too light and ashy for me plus after a few hours my face looks dewy although it's nice, I was looking for a matte one... So I went to CHANEL and got a sample of the liquid mat lumiere and I actually tried the powder but only applied on my jawline to see if the shade matches me and it didn't and perhaps I will go back for that during the winter. So the next day I tried the liquid one in 50 and put a bronze illuminator underneath and then sweep a loose powder in dore to finish. and it was perfect! I love the texture which is not heavy nor hard to blend! It's matte, but at the same time luminous with no greasiness look! Wow! This is exactly what I want!!! After a few hours when it blended or melted to my skin, I like it even more as everything settled into my skin! My face looks fresh and radiant! I used this foundation when we attended christening, I applied it at 2:30pm and we came home 10:30 pm and everything was fine and it's still good! I didn't even do a touch up! It's like I-just-did-my-makeup-awhile-ago! I brought a powder with me and didn't even use it. I just reapplied a lipstick lol. My photos were nice too, I don't look greasy as I usually do. So I am buying this foundation on shade 50 next time I pass by at Chanel Hhayyyy :) Alas I found my HG! But still I will try and collect all Chanel foundations in the future and so far I like Teint Innocence, Double Perfection Powder but this has been discontinued and most of all, this MAT LUMIERE one! Sorry my review is too long! I really don't write reviews on foundation because nothing wowed me as much as this MAT LUMIERE does. Note: I have a sensitive combination skin, oily during summer and can be dehydrated at times on winter.

P.S. My application of this product: Using my fingertips, I dab it like a polka dot on my cheeks and then blend and smooth out, same thing with my other cheek, then on my nose, chin, around my lips, forehead... I just think warming foundations on my fingertips and using my hands are way better than anything for me to achieve a more natural look but then again, it's me.. :)

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Overall, great foundation. Chanel foundation formulas seem to be safe for my skin. I don't get allergic reactions, breakouts or clogs. However, finding the right formula was a bit of a challenge. In the past, I've owned Vitalumiere (too hydrating) and Perfection Lumiere (too drying and flat). Mat Lumiere gives a glow to the skin yet doesn't make you look greasy nor does it cling on to dry patches. It is the perfect level of matte and hydration. I do love this foundation.

The shade I wear is 40 Beige. I am 57 in Kat Von D, 6.0 in Urban Decay and 060 in Shiseido.

The coverage is medium. I find it doesn't really build to full coverage when layered. To cover stubborn spots, I would rather use a concealer than this foundation.

The texture is light. I can't feel it on the skin.

The longevity is pending. Winter and seditary, it will last all day. I'm not sure yet about summer and activity. *Will update

The bad news: This will soon be discontinued. Starting in February 2014, Chanel will be stopping the production of Mat Lumiere and introducing a reformulation for their Perfection Lumiere to be a matte formula. I'm not excited about this because I really dislike the original Perfection Lumiere formula so I will be crossing my fingers that the new one will be a lot better.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

You can read my review history, I usually like to only review products I really enjoy, because I've tried many, however, I felt I needed to tell my story on this foundation just to save anyone else the troubles I had. I bought this in the lightest shade, and for the first few days, loved this. It gives a very pretty, medium coverage, and makes skin look healthy and glowy. HOWEVER, by day 4, I noticed sore spots growing under certain portions on my face, and, honestly, I haven't had ONE pimple in almost 3 years. But NO, this was not just a pimple, four cystic pimples appeared under, and took about two weeks to heal. My dermatologist told me it was very likely this foundation. I've never been so disappointed in a product in my life. Now one of them has left a hard knot under my skin, and needless to say, this foundation has been returned, and will never be used again by me. Also, my primer, and powders that I was using with this product, I've used for 2 years, so I know it wasn't that. Just made me angry. But I do like almost every other Chanel cosmetic product I've tried.

Buyer beware though. This was a big ouch for me.

=[

This is my first product review for MUA, so I am excited to share what I think is an absolutely fantastic product. I normally have a very strong opinion of my products, and this is no exception. I have tried many foundations in the quest for a dewy/glowy finish without making me a greaseball, as I have oily skin. Mat lumiere fits the bill. I tried By Terry Light Expert, YSL radiant touch, and many, many others, but they were just too shiny on my oily skin. Mat lumiere is very long lasting and very oil controlling on me, without giving me the flat look that EL double wear lite did. The pump dispenser is awesome; I can do my whole face with just one pump. The smell is also noticeably wonderful; I actually enjoy using it. My old standby, MAC studio fix fluid had a smell that was so off-putting (mediciney scent) that I finally had to quit using it! I also liked Bare Escentuals (light) but found it extremely messy. I am a light/medium skintone, LM sunny beige, MAC NC25-30, and I use 1.5 intensity, shell. The color match is so perfect for me. I ordered it online, sight unseen, and I got very lucky, since I was using DPC in tender bisque and the intensities differed quite a bit. All in all, I will probably be sticking with this foundation for quite some time.

on 12/2/2007 10:01:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been on powder foundations / 2 way cakes for as long as I can remember. This liquid foundation was made for oily-combination skin. The MA at the department store gave me a sample to try as I was quite apprehensive about liquid foundations due to the condition of my acne-prone skin. I fell in love with the texture. It was smooth, thick at first application but not heavy. It actually allows my skin to breathe, unlike powder foundations. My skin glows with health and it does control my oily T-zone. It manages to tone down the red dots I have on my cheek. I've had it on for more than 12 hours and it feels wonderful. The SPF is a plus! Beige 40 blends into my tan skin wonderfully.

on 10/3/2007 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

THIS IS FABULOUS....HG HG HG! I bought both the powder foundation and the liquid foundation as I like to switch around. The liquid applies like a dream, and is exactly what they say, matte yet luminous, and long lasting. Covers imperfections well, but I wouldn't say it is heavy coverage, probably medium.

The powder is WONDERFUL. Applies like a dream with either the sponge or a brush (regular or kabuki) depending on the type of coverage you would like. I do get some oil breakthrough after about 5 hours, but it doesn't look oily...slide off your face type, rather it looks healthy and dewey. I have not yet tried it wet, but as a dry powder foundation it is fabulous. Covers well, does NOT cling to dry patches, and looks simply wonderful.

HG HG HG HG HG HG HG if you are combination to oily or oily!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

L O V E this foundation. A little background story - I was going around to a whole heap of makeup counters the other day searching for a new foundation that would feel light, last long and have a medium coverage. Usually I would completely avoid Chanel thinking that it was for rich people and that the sales assistants would be snobby, but after getting terrible service from Mac (the lady was incredibly rude and made my face look orange and then walked off when I asked if I could wear the foundation around for the day just to see if I like it, does she expect me to pay $50 for a foundation that might not even work?) I thought I would give it a go. The people there were incredibly lovely and helped me out with finding a fab foundation. I was a bit hesitant with this one as I do have skin that's more on the dry side but i've had no problems with it at all. After receiving such good service and a day of wearing it, I decided I would pay $72 for it and i'm so glad I did. I've worn it from about 9am to 5pm on really hot days and it's lasted so well, it's INCREDIBLY light feeling and gives you a build-able medium coverage, it doesn't transfer onto clothing and it doesn't sweat off. People always tell me I have really good skin and I just tell them it's the foundation I use (this one) I really recommend! 5/5

EDIT: I am in love with this photo for nights out, despite it being a little light it still photographs beautifully and doesn't give a white flashback face and makes my skin looks flawless. However I HATE it for the daytime, as it goes so oily on my skin within a few hours, I am not sure why it doesn't do this out clubbing, but it doesn't. So yes, I would re buy it for nights out.

Ok, I bought this product about a week or so, and in that that time we have had a lot of ups and downs together!
I have heard so much about this foundation that when I got some christmas money and was shopping I decided on the spur of the moment that I was going to get it.

I can't say what colour I am in MAC - all I know is that nc20 is too pale. I bought this in shade 20, the MA said that 20, 30 or 40 would all work as I am kind of between shades at the moment. I picked 20 as it's winter and the MA said she was wearing this foundation - but the shade she was wearing was so so dark for her, so I decided on her lightest suggestion and bought the foundation in clair 20. I feel 30 may have been a better choice as I haven't fake tanned for about 2 weeks and this colour is slightly light but not noticably so once rubbed in. I think that if I still want to use this foundation in the summer when I will be a lot darker, I will buy 40 and mix and match as needed. For the record I have oily/combination skin. VERY oily in the t zone and normal on the cheeks. I don't usually have dry patched, but due to being ill when I bought this foundation I had some dryness on and around my nose.

Onto the review...
I put this on as soon as I got home in my excitement, convinced that this was going to be my HG, flawless foundation. Estee Lauder doublewear is the only other high end foundation I've tried - I like the lasting power, but have to apply it with a damp sponge as I find it too thick and mask-like on its own. I removed my makeup with a makeup wipe, put on a tiny bit of moisturiser and this foundation using a flat 190 style brush. I looked in the mirror about an hour on and my face looked TERRIBLE, the foundation had gone patchy and disappeared in places on my nose and chin and looked SO greasy. I was so upset - being in england cosmetic companies don't often offer refunds and I had just spent 29 on a foundation I hated.
I have been trying it every day since then in different methods to try and make it work, and I have liked it more and more as the week goes on.

This is what I've found so far...
- This foundation will highlight ANY dry skin, I think the reason it went so terrible the first time was because I had a cold, so had dry skin around my nose due to it, also because I removed my makeup with a wipe and only put a small ammount of light moisturiser on, which didn't make my skin sufficiantly moisturised for this foundation.

PRIMER.
I have tried this foundation with and without primer (The only one I have is the l'oreal studio secrets one in the little pot) I dont see much different with or without, I find if anything it lasts longer without.

POWDER.
I have tried setting this with... nothing, Mac P+P transparent finishing powder, collection 2000 mineral powder, maxfactor facefinity powder, maybelline dream matte powder and just bronzer.
BY FAR the dream matte powder has been the best with this foundation, which is strange as I've never really liked that powder til now.

APPLICATION
I have tried applying this foundation with a 190 style brush, a 187 style brush and with my fingers. Strangely I find that I like the way this applies with my hands the best - so so strange as I usually HATE applying my foundation with my hands and find it usually looks patchy and streaky - but not this one!

At first I thought that this foundation had terrible lasting power as on the first few days it would be greasy within 2 hours.

However I applied my makeup 8 hours ago and it still looks good, not completely matte by any means but my skin never will be. Despite a slight bit of oil breakthrough it looks glowy rather than oily and my pores don't look visible.
For the record I applied it over neutrogena multi defence spf25 moisturiser with my fingers and set it with dream matte powder. I applied bronzer and blush both of which are still on over it and haven't faded or slid off.
I am still not sure whether I would or wouldn't buy this foundation. I will continue to experiment with different applications and I have yet to see how it photographs.
I will update this review as anything changes - sorry for the long review and I hope this helps!

on 5/14/2010 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hmm I'm extremely disappointed with this foundation. I have acne prone skin, that's combination, oily! This foundation makes the oily areas of my face oilier and the dry areas of my face drier. It accentuated every wrinkle on my face (I don't have any! I'm 21 years old!) and just looked plain nasty an hour after application that blotting would not fix!

The coverage is medium. The colurmatch is great! Not very pink toned and not extremely yellow toned either (which in short means they're quite neautral toned!) and it has a very noticable lovely scent that disappears after a whilebutit may irritate some sensitive skinned people! (it did not irritate my skin)

The packaging is lovely! A nice solid glass bottle that comes with a pump! ( well done Chanel!!) just wish the product worked for me! :-(

I'd advise you (my dear reader) to get a sample of this foundation before splurging as it's a bit on the pricey side and I unfortunately cannot return it! Will not repurchase! Sorry Chanel!