Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by age: 18 & Under
Chanel Mat Lumiere Long Lasting Luminous Matte Fluid Makeup SPF 15  [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have terrifically horribly oily skin, as well as very acne-prone skin. I've used a Benzyol Peroxide-gel for a couple of weeks to get rid of my acne, so it's better now than before, but still.

Anyway. I bought this foundation because I was really fed up with using foundation from the Body Shop - which looked cakey and oily on me. So I went into a department store and decided I'd buy a Chanel one, just because I think the packaging looked amazing.
The lady at the counter told me that Mat Lumire would fit me because of my oily skin, and so I bought it about 2 months ago.

The first month I was reaaaally let down. It didn't keep me matte for more than about an hour before I'd be oilier than a piece of bacon. I tried Chanel's powders and different primers, but nothing seemed to work. Then I changed from my L'Oral HydraFresh moisturiser to a new one from Nivea, and suddenly - BOOM, I was surprised by this foundation. Not only does it keep me matte the whole day, it doesn't have that overly-powdered look I hate so much. I don't really have to apply a primer before I use this, it stays on for ages - I put it on before I go to school, and I still have that newly-makeuped look when I take off my makeup right before bed.

The philosophy of Chanel is not to have a perfect skin with no colouration from acne scars etc etc, but to enhance your naturally beauty. Therefore the Mat Lumire foundation isn't even close to full-coverage, but it covers up the most essential, like my red areas around my nose and cheeks. I also love the luminous look I get from this, that always keeps me looking healthy and natural. I really recommend this one if you're looking for a high-class, everyday foundation to keep you matte and natural! x

Since I have oily skin, I decided to go on the hunt for a mattifying foundation that will not contribute to potential breakouts and will also leave me with nice looking skin (not too shiny and not too dull). A friend of mine recommended this foundation to me and I decided to give it a go; I got it colour-matched (the lady at the counter gave me a pinkish-undertone instead of a yellow-undertone which was a bit of a throw-off) and I've used it a couple of times. It's very thick in consistency and feels very heavy. It's an alright foundation I guess, but I feel like I didn't get what I paid for. It's a medium coverage and makes my face look very dull and cakey (have to contour a lot and apply blush to add dimension back to my face). Feels tacky. After first use, I broke out on my cheeks (where I applied most product).

Pro's: Packaging is great (glass bottle WITH pump great bonus), wide range of colours (although I wish the makeup counter lady matched it properly).
Con's: Not for all day use, mattifies for only a short amount of time before I go oily again, too cakey and can't set it with a powder or else it looks too done-up, price is horrendous for the amount and quality of product, not good for night-time events due to SPF.

Overall, would not re-purchase, I would've expected more from a high-end foundation.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I had been using Clinique's oil-free foundation when I decided it was time I picked out a new foundation. I loved mine (is great at oil control and looks & feels very natural on the skin), but it had a sheer coverage. So I started asking my friends and looking for reviews about several foundations. I was recommended this one, thought "Wow, pricey, but it is Chanel. Maybe it's worth it!" and got a sample at a Sephora store.

First of all, the one I got did not match my skin tone at all. My faced looked so orange and artificial! Once again, a bad experience with Sephora's employees.
Secondly, it is an extremely heavy foundation: it feels like paint on your face, which is just awful to me since I have oily skin and a preference for looking natural.
And the worst is it has sheer to medium coverage when that's not what Chanel describes.

Overall, this foundation made me look like a fake painted orange. Awesome, right? Thank God I got a sample before buying it! I don't recommend this product at all and I'm not buying it for sure. It's a pricey crap.

on 9/9/2013 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Really loved how long this lasted on my oily skin!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

L O V E this foundation. A little background story - I was going around to a whole heap of makeup counters the other day searching for a new foundation that would feel light, last long and have a medium coverage. Usually I would completely avoid Chanel thinking that it was for rich people and that the sales assistants would be snobby, but after getting terrible service from Mac (the lady was incredibly rude and made my face look orange and then walked off when I asked if I could wear the foundation around for the day just to see if I like it, does she expect me to pay $50 for a foundation that might not even work?) I thought I would give it a go. The people there were incredibly lovely and helped me out with finding a fab foundation. I was a bit hesitant with this one as I do have skin that's more on the dry side but i've had no problems with it at all. After receiving such good service and a day of wearing it, I decided I would pay $72 for it and i'm so glad I did. I've worn it from about 9am to 5pm on really hot days and it's lasted so well, it's INCREDIBLY light feeling and gives you a build-able medium coverage, it doesn't transfer onto clothing and it doesn't sweat off. People always tell me I have really good skin and I just tell them it's the foundation I use (this one) I really recommend! 5/5

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

(Shade- 04- Beige) It's a wicked foundation. Smells great, feels great and looks great. If you apply it the right way, end result looks immaculate. Great for covering up acne scars, etc. I have taken photos with flash using this foundation and I have noticed my face to come out white..which may be due to the spf..however, I was wearing sun cream under as well..so I'm not entirely sure whether it was due to the foundation or not. I have worn this on a really hot day, was outside most of the day, and had college as well..and noticed my face looked so fresh which is usually unusual cos I normally have to re touch my face at least once in a day! Was suprised everytime I saw my reflection..so the lasting power is pretty good :) Just to warn you, when I first wore the foundation, I noticed to start breaking out..BUT i tried using it again..I mean it is 33, didn't wanna chuck it away..my face didn't react after..so at least try it a few times before chucking it away..you might be a little bit sensitive.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I work at a Chanel makeup counter, so I decided to take home a sample of the Mat Lumiere foundation since I have such oily skin. Never in my life had I seen such amazing oil control from a foundation! I can have it on for hours and have barely any oil, which is saying something because I usually have to blot and powder my face about an hour after my makeup application. Great buildable coverage, it never looks cakey on my skin. It matches my skin tone perfectly and feels so nice on my face. Only problem I have with it is that it's a bit pricey, but I'm paying for the quality also! A definite must for people who want a long wearing, oil control foundation.

Got to say, I love the way this makes my skin look! It is indeed matte, but it's not a flat matte at all, skin still has some luminosity without being full blown dewy- makes this product a winner for oily skin.
The shade selection isn't fantastic and Chanel have discontinued a few shades in the UK, including mine (5 faence). They tend to sway towards being very neutral, which in all fairness, is quite rare with a lot of brands as I find a lot to be very pink or very yellow and not natural looking.
I find this foundation applies best with either a sponge, beauty blender, or fingers. I usually apply all foundations with my ELF powder brush but it just made ML look too heavy- I think this may be because the foundation is so thick and creamy. When applied with the beauty blender, my skin looks completely poreless! Occasionally ML can look a bit heavy when first applied, but after about 20 minutes, when it's dried and settled a little, it just looks fantastic :)
Unlike ELDW, this product looks best on my skin when I begin to build up the coverage a little more- this is my go to foundation on a bad skin day. The coverage is definitely medium buildable.
But I find this foundation lets me down when I want to wear it for an everyday day at work. It doesn't last on my skin for as long as I need it to, and tends to get a little patchy after around six hours of wear. However, I do have very oily skin so this would probably hold up for around 8-10 hours on combination skin. I would not recommend this foundation for dry skin as it can cling to and accentuation dry patches- like most mattifying foundations.
Overall, this foundation doesn't work as an everyday product but for a night out or for a day when I'm running errands, I simply adore it :)

on 1/3/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have had a hard time finding a foundation that looks well on me especially because I have oily skin and acne prone skin. I have just recently started going to a dermatologist for acne and since I've started using the treatments my skin has begun to dry out, so it has been extemely difficult to find a foundation.Before I was on treatment I tried the Vitalumiere it worked out great in the beginning but as time went on it started to turn orange,,it also did not have enough coverage for my acne scars and made my skin even more oily then before so I returned it. I then tried the Make Up Forever HD foundation I tried it once and looked good but I had just started treatment but I felt that this foundation sunk into the creases of my skin it just did not look right. There are pros and cons to this product. Although it states that it is a light to medium coverage, I feel that it more light than medium coverage. When too many layers are applied it can appear orange. It can also make face appear dry when first applied, it also is very matte. But it does not stay matte throughout the whole day. Overall it a good foundation,and it does make me break out. I will re review this product again once I stop using the treatments.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

i was first sucked into chanel products by my obsession with high end brands...and i have to say i was impressed by this make up!
i wear clair - #20 in the foundation and lumiere#10 over the top..and its the closest colour match i have come across in a long time!
i can finally justify forking over a load of cash for a foundation!
yay.
it feels amazing on the skin, light and velvety and after wearing mac studio fix fluid for such a long time, its safe to say i dont think i will go back.
so if you have oily skin like me give this a go...im sure it will be a revelation for you too!