Parfum d'Empire Equistrius

No Image

3.0

1 review

on 9/22/2013 9:17:00 AM

Apparently, this perfume is named after a race horse belonging to the owner of the fragrance house. Instead of the saddle though – now, how Hermesian would that be?- Equistrius smells of chocolate and iris. I have a decant of it which sees the daylight from time to time, always with the same result: it has a lot of notes but the overall effect, for some reason, fails to impress me.

The last time I thought about Equistrius, I was at a Blonde Redhead gig; when Kazu Makino started singing Equus, I felt that I might have been unfair to my Equistrius in the past and I decided to use it again. No. On my skin, it’s still the same fragrance that is crowded with many notes with too little effect.
Equistrius opens with a powdery (and not earthy) iris which sits on what smells exactly like my L'Occitane rice toner - saccharine sweet and somehow powdery at the same time. There is also a prominent alcohol smell that I'm not fond of.

As the perfume moves on to its heart, the L'Occitane toner effect prevails, but with additional chocolate notes - unfortunately, slightly stale, low quality milk chocolate on my skin.

It's again during the heart that I get something like suede and also candlewax. This phase is quite linear, a bit balmy and also a bit airy.

The drydown of Equistrius is my favourite phase. Now, the perfume is partly powdery and partly creamy with lipstick notes. I think this is the violet many reviewers talk about and in my experience, it's really softened.

Altogether, Equistrius takes me from one note to another, from one impression to another impression but I cannot say that I tremendously enjoy the journey.

Some fragrances have taught me that the total is bigger than the sum of its parts, and with Equistrius it seems like the total is less than the sum.

Medium sillage and longevity.