Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 15% BHA Peel

3.9

(per MUAC's site) SD Alcohol 40B, Salicylic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Goldenseal Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Hops Extract, Menthol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylisothiazolinone

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this peel for a while now but it's something I never remembered to review because it's such a utilitarian product in my rotation. I'll only use it one a week at MOST, and typically I'll only use it 1-3 times a month.

So, I really don't consider this a peel to be used all over the face. I honestly think it's unnecessary and probably just asking for irritation unless you have an incredibly resistant skin type and every single pore on your face is clogged. How I use it: Using a q-tip, I dip it in the peel and spread it over the clog-prone areas of my face ONLY. So for me, this means my chin, upper lip, nose and forehead (basically t-zone). I leave it on for only 1 minute, maybe 2 minutes max if the burning is not unbearable. After that I rinse for a couple minutes with cold water, gently cleanse and apply soothing antioxidant serums.

This basically carpet bombs any clogged pores I have. This, in conjunction with the MUAC 25% mandelic peel keep me incredibly clear (although I also attribute this to oil cleansing and eliminating all clogging products from my routine which is obviously the most important thing). I do experience some slight peeling on my chin area and forehead from this stuff. I only need a little bit each time so it literally lasts forever. If you are going to be doing any type of peels make sure you are using an SPF with good UVA protection, although you should probably be doing that already! :)

on 4/19/2013 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I used this once a week for ten weeks, but I had to give up. Unfortunately this broke me out badly. I have read about the purging phase, when acne gets worse before it gets better, but it's just not worth it. This didn't irritate my skin, but I also didn't see any results. Two weeks after I stopped using this, I no longer get new break outs.

To Read all 11 Reviews, Login or Join

Rewind to last month...my skin was just beginning to look nice, thanks to MUAC's Mandelic Acid Peels. I have been a long time "victim" of acne, huge pores, & scarring. Impressed by what mandelic acid did for me, I decided to play with fire & thought I should try something a *tiny* bit stronger. Big mistake. My experience with this peel in particular has been one straight out of hell's gates.

Within literally 10 seconds of applying the salicyclic peel, I could feel parts of my face BURN like they were on fire. The area around my mouth turned bright red. It hurt so bad, I washed it off with water before 30 seconds had past. So little time & yet so much damaged had been done.

It took 2 WEEKS for my skin to stop peeling. & now, I am left with 3 burn marks. My skin looks a lot worse than before this peel. I'm going to have to see a dermatologist for help.

I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone, obviously. If you have tough as iron skin, then maybe you''ll have better luck. Just don't play around

I tend to really like MUAC, so even though this was an absolute nightmare, I'll still be a returning customer..

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I got this to help with some oiliness and clogs that I got toward the end of the summer. And just wow. My skin is typically normal, oilier in the summer and dryer in the winter. I get an occasional pimple or two around that time of the month. But I noticed some major clogs after using a product I knew I should not have lol so I ordered this. Honestly this stings. The first time I could not even last the full minute. The second and third time I could though. After my third peel I noticed how about 99% of all my clogged pores are gone and my skin is smooth and free of any bumps. Extremely pleased with this! And I never got any peeling or ultra dry skin afterward either so this is a very easy peel to use. I love this and will buy it again!

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Great product for those with oily, acne-prone skin. But it is very strong; I can tolerate a minute but it burns. The first time I did it I peeled a lot for 2 days. My skin adapted quickly and now I get a slight bit of peeling, and then my skin seems much clearer. I highly recommend.

on 10/20/2011 10:23:00 PM

I bought the MUAC 40% Lactic acid, the 30% Glycolic and the 15% Salycilic and I rotate among the three. This one is my least favorite just because I believe it is too strong for me.
In my opinion, the smell is unbearable and it is an agony to leave it on for one whole minute... I do not feel comfortable at all.
The main reason I bought it was because of the blackheads on my nose, so maybe I should just use as a spot treatment as some of you suggested, not over my whole face.
I believe the sample size bottle is enough for over ten applications which makes this product very cost effective.
Muac customer service is also outstanding, they helped me with all the questions I had before ordering and before using their products.

on 3/2/2010 12:18:00 AM

I just started using this a couple of weeks ago. I do spot treatment on the acne or the one that is emerging, and also I have done a whole face peel with this BHA peel about twice now. My skin is more clear now and I see less breakouts, and the pimples that I've used the BHA on is drying out the pimples faster than when I don't use anything. The skin around where it was treated does get a little more dry/flakey, so I just use a moisturizer every night and day. I would skip my Mario Badescu glycolic toner a couple of days after using this. This is not really too strong for me because I have been used to using the lactic acid and glycolic acid before.

on 1/26/2010 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm using this as a spot treatment.
My skin is used to a lot of actives and acids, so be aware that most ppl would have to be more cautious.

I've done MUAC TCA peel at 18% a few times. 50% glycolic several times. I find that the 50% glycolic aggravates my cystic acne along the jaw. Lower % of glycolic is ok.

I started using the 15% bha as a spot treatment for my acne. I dab some on and leave it. Once in a while there will be a little frosting. Sometimes I feel a cool burn. I don't wash it off. The most I will do it 2 nights in a row, then I give at least one night of rest. This dries up the spot and it peels a few days later.

I also use/alternate with M2 Skin refinish.
Helps my hormonal acne, but it's not eliminated. I suspect nothing will eliminate it unless my hormones are settled.

on 12/16/2009 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

One of my favorite MUAC products. I do not use this all over. I usually prep my skin with 8% BHA or 50& glycolic all over (sometimes lactic). Then I will dip a q-tip in the 15% salicylic acid and go over my active pimples and scarring. Sometimes I get frosting. After the skin flakes off (usually 2-3) days, my acne and scars are better. I find this is more effective than just using the peels to fade the acne scarring.

on 8/5/2008 5:03:00 PM

MUAC products are one of MUA's best kept secrets. I wanted to try a peel to help with my greasy, acne prone skin, scars, and the beginnings of crow's feet and light sun damage. I'm also cheap and into DIY beauty routines and thought this would be a great way to get salon quality results at DS prices. I went to the MUAC website to check out their wares based on what I read lurking on the reviews and boards and ended up ordering .5 oz samples of the 15% Salicylic Acid peel, and the 30% and 40% Glycolic. (Of course I reeeeeally wanted the TCA but thought I'd start small and see how it goes.) I've been using the 15% SA peel all over my face, once a week, for the past 3 weeks. I clean, prep, and apply with my fingers or a q-tip. The consistency of the peel is just like water. It definitely stings but nothing unbearable - just uncomfortable. The first time, I followed the instructions exactly and rinsed after one minute, used a gentle cleanser (purpose) and slathered my face with aloe, which provides instant relief to that annoying stinging. I survived the first round with no peeling or ill effects, so the next two peels I kept the product on as long as I could stand it, probably 4 minutes or so. After those I my skin got just a little flakey. After each peel, including the first, my husband commented: Your skin looks great! So far I'm happy with the results. I *think* my skin is less greasy, and I *think* I'm on the other side of the purging process, but these changes could be cyclical or diet related. What I do know is that post peel, my skin feels soft and visibly smoother, which is good enough to keep me coming back. But I'm curious about long term benefits - will this be the product that finally diminishes the big sun spot on my cheek? Or unclogs my pores and cuts through the greasiness? I'm curious to find out, but either way I'll be getting a sample of TCA in my next order.