Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 15% BHA Peel

No Image

3.5

(per MUAC's site) SD Alcohol 40B, Salicylic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Goldenseal Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Hops Extract, Menthol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylisothiazolinone

this is about muac's salicylic acid peel 40%.
I have used it for a couple times after every time i use it i just cant stop breaking out. yes my skin peels alot like what everyone expects from a peel but at the same time i get really bad breakouts to places i dont normally get them. maybe because salicylic acid peel is too drying for me since i already have a dry skin type.

on 3/2/2017 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Brown Girls Beware. This product destroyed my skin for months.
I bought this to address an ongoing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) concern. I don't break out often, but when I do , the PIH sticks around for months and months and months. I read here that some people were using this as a spot treatment and had amazing results, I've used products with BHA ( Paula's choice, Origins, Kiehls ) that have a 2% concentration at most. This is 7.5 time stronger. I did a skin test first on my forearm, with no adverse effects however, when I applied to a painful bump on my forehead , a blind comedone, for less than 30 seconds, I got a searing pain and immediate frosting, which I neutralized right away.
After a few minutes , I noticed that my skin had burned down to the hypodermis, the layer beneath the dermis, beneath the epidermis > I heard my skin sizzle. It was a second degree chemical burn, had it been larger than a quarter , I would have had to go to the ER.
I have very unreactive skin, aside from the PIH my skin does not have major issues. A sore red bump turned into a weeping chemical burn that took two months to fully heal after being covered with a hydrocollidal banage. Now I have a half dollar sized patch dark purple on my forehead, and I had a fringe cut to hide the damage.
MUAC did nothing to help, aside from recommending the glycolic peel!!!!!!
Run, don't walk away from this product.

on 4/19/2013 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I used this once a week for ten weeks, but I had to give up. Unfortunately this broke me out badly. I have read about the purging phase, when acne gets worse before it gets better, but it's just not worth it. This didn't irritate my skin, but I also didn't see any results. Two weeks after I stopped using this, I no longer get new break outs.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I got this to help with some oiliness and clogs that I got toward the end of the summer. And just wow. My skin is typically normal, oilier in the summer and dryer in the winter. I get an occasional pimple or two around that time of the month. But I noticed some major clogs after using a product I knew I should not have lol so I ordered this. Honestly this stings. The first time I could not even last the full minute. The second and third time I could though. After my third peel I noticed how about 99% of all my clogged pores are gone and my skin is smooth and free of any bumps. Extremely pleased with this! And I never got any peeling or ultra dry skin afterward either so this is a very easy peel to use. I love this and will buy it again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've been using this peel for a while now but it's something I never remembered to review because it's such a utilitarian product in my rotation. I'll only use it one a week at MOST, and typically I'll only use it 1-3 times a month.

So, I really don't consider this a peel to be used all over the face. I honestly think it's unnecessary and probably just asking for irritation unless you have an incredibly resistant skin type and every single pore on your face is clogged. How I use it: Using a q-tip, I dip it in the peel and spread it over the clog-prone areas of my face ONLY. So for me, this means my chin, upper lip, nose and forehead (basically t-zone). I leave it on for only 1 minute, maybe 2 minutes max if the burning is not unbearable. After that I rinse for a couple minutes with cold water, gently cleanse and apply soothing antioxidant serums.

This basically carpet bombs any clogged pores I have. This, in conjunction with the MUAC 25% mandelic peel keep me incredibly clear (although I also attribute this to oil cleansing and eliminating all clogging products from my routine which is obviously the most important thing). I do experience some slight peeling on my chin area and forehead from this stuff. I only need a little bit each time so it literally lasts forever. If you are going to be doing any type of peels make sure you are using an SPF with good UVA protection, although you should probably be doing that already! :)

Rewind to last month...my skin was just beginning to look nice, thanks to MUAC's Mandelic Acid Peels. I have been a long time "victim" of acne, huge pores, & scarring. Impressed by what mandelic acid did for me, I decided to play with fire & thought I should try something a *tiny* bit stronger. Big mistake. My experience with this peel in particular has been one straight out of hell's gates.

Within literally 10 seconds of applying the salicyclic peel, I could feel parts of my face BURN like they were on fire. The area around my mouth turned bright red. It hurt so bad, I washed it off with water before 30 seconds had past. So little time & yet so much damaged had been done.

It took 2 WEEKS for my skin to stop peeling. & now, I am left with 3 burn marks. My skin looks a lot worse than before this peel. I'm going to have to see a dermatologist for help.

I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone, obviously. If you have tough as iron skin, then maybe you''ll have better luck. Just don't play around

I tend to really like MUAC, so even though this was an absolute nightmare, I'll still be a returning customer..

on 1/26/2010 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm using this as a spot treatment.
My skin is used to a lot of actives and acids, so be aware that most ppl would have to be more cautious.

I've done MUAC TCA peel at 18% a few times. 50% glycolic several times. I find that the 50% glycolic aggravates my cystic acne along the jaw. Lower % of glycolic is ok.

I started using the 15% bha as a spot treatment for my acne. I dab some on and leave it. Once in a while there will be a little frosting. Sometimes I feel a cool burn. I don't wash it off. The most I will do it 2 nights in a row, then I give at least one night of rest. This dries up the spot and it peels a few days later.

I also use/alternate with M2 Skin refinish.
Helps my hormonal acne, but it's not eliminated. I suspect nothing will eliminate it unless my hormones are settled.

on 3/2/2010 12:18:00 AM

I just started using this a couple of weeks ago. I do spot treatment on the acne or the one that is emerging, and also I have done a whole face peel with this BHA peel about twice now. My skin is more clear now and I see less breakouts, and the pimples that I've used the BHA on is drying out the pimples faster than when I don't use anything. The skin around where it was treated does get a little more dry/flakey, so I just use a moisturizer every night and day. I would skip my Mario Badescu glycolic toner a couple of days after using this. This is not really too strong for me because I have been used to using the lactic acid and glycolic acid before.

on 10/20/2011 10:23:00 PM

I bought the MUAC 40% Lactic acid, the 30% Glycolic and the 15% Salycilic and I rotate among the three. This one is my least favorite just because I believe it is too strong for me.
In my opinion, the smell is unbearable and it is an agony to leave it on for one whole minute... I do not feel comfortable at all.
The main reason I bought it was because of the blackheads on my nose, so maybe I should just use as a spot treatment as some of you suggested, not over my whole face.
I believe the sample size bottle is enough for over ten applications which makes this product very cost effective.
Muac customer service is also outstanding, they helped me with all the questions I had before ordering and before using their products.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Great product for those with oily, acne-prone skin. But it is very strong; I can tolerate a minute but it burns. The first time I did it I peeled a lot for 2 days. My skin adapted quickly and now I get a slight bit of peeling, and then my skin seems much clearer. I highly recommend.