BECCA Best of Becca palette (Holiday 2007)

BECCA Best of Becca palette (Holiday 2007)
Best of BECCA paletteBest of Becca Palette (spring 2008 collection)Best of Becca Palette (spring 2008 collection)

4.7

Wonderful. Becca is one of the best discoveries I have made in the past years, they produce amazing stuff. The palettes are to die for, especially this one which is very well suited for daily use. I love the blossom cream blush so much I will repurchase that separately in full size, it just looks like a natural flush in the cheeks, dewy but not glimmery, I have never seen anything like it.

on 11/8/2008 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Love it. All my favourite becca things in one place. I ran out of turkish rose and was going to get a new one when I saw that they had this. I love the bird of paradise gloss and was about to get it as well, and the blossom creme? I had been intrigued by this but avoid makeup counters in general and so never really got the opportunity to test it. As for the eye shadows, I'd have been more psyched if they included the creme formulas as those are my fave. Nonetheless, this palette is awesome--blossom turned out to be my new favourite nude cream blush, it's a great peachy-pink that works on fair skin tones. Very natural looking, dewy--as is turkish rose--and not at all shimmery. Becca's the best at dewy I think, their bird of paradise gloss is the only highlighter i've stuck to--it's kind of like applying on straight dew. That having said, it might feel a little tacky on if you're used to your face *feeling* light. I will say that's true about a lot of becca's products, but I usually counter it by a slap of water to the face and a paper towel. The makeup stays, but it looks and feels much fresher and lighter. The palette itself is pure class, mirrored, heavy and sturdy on the outside.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I think that this palette is great for a working girl on the go. The colors are neutral, veering towards the warm side, and the packaging allows it to be carried in a handbag with no problems.
This mirrored palette contains two eyeshadow (damask and brocade), turkish rose blush creme and blossom cheek/lip creme and the Bird of Paradise highlighter (which can be used on the face or lips as a gloss). It also comes with a dual sided brush which I think is only really suitable for using with the eyeshadows because it is too small for using to apply the blush to the cheek.
The colors are beautiful with the eyeshadows being a shimmery brown/bronze/golden duo that can be used to create a tasteful neutral eye (good for work functions, but still have evening glamor) and the cremes being fabulous for use as blushes (both are lovely as blushes). Apparently the blossom cheek/lip creme can be used on the lips, but it looks very artificial to me so I prefer to use something else on my lips (maybe a lipstick with gloss since the eye is deliciously understated: your choice!).
Bird of Paradise is a highlighter that can be used on the face for highlighting or on the lips as a gloss. I prefer the highlighting use and wow! This product meshes beautifully with the skin: I prefer to use it to highlight my cheek bones and it does a lovely job, not heavy or overly sparkly, just adds a sheen....and at the end, just dust all over with a powder and you have a gorgeous after work face.
Overall, I believe this palette is universal for both dark and light skin tones. The colors are fairly neutral and the packaging is slimline and sturdy. This is not something I'd start the day wearing because the eyeshadows are too shimmery (but check it out because you may feel differently), but the palette is the best for great after work glamor.
Although it is at the expensive end, it is not as expensive as some other palettes I've come across (considering they are generally either all eye or lip palettes)

In general I like this palette. The two shadows are gorgeous. Both warm, which I usually don't do well with, but these work well. Turkish rose if a gorgeous cream blush and the blossom lip/cheek is also pretty. I wish they would have included just one of these and put in a strict lippie, but they don't sell l/s, so I guess that's why. The bird of paradise is nice, although it's probably the product I'll use the least. Nice overall "taste of becca"

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The Best of BECCA Palette contains 1) Damask powder eye shadow (a shimmery gold); 2) Brocade powder eye shadow (shimmery bronze); 3) crème blush in Turkish Rose (rosy pink); 4) lip & cheek crème in blossom (light pink) ; and 5) Bird of Paradise Gloss highlighter (pearly peachy-ivory). The palette is a brown rubberized case – looks very sleek, and has a great mirror and comes in a brown Becca box. It's a little fiddly to open but then again, it's nice that it stays closed!!!

I’m not sure whether these products represent Becca’s “best” shades or even bestselling shades, but they are a representative of what Becca does best – shimmery powder eyeshadows that go on like cream shadows without the creasing, natural-looking cream blushes that give you a glowy flush without looking like you are wearing blush, and the highlighter, which melts into your skin and gives you a glow without chalkiness or too much shine. The eyeshadows are just like BB’s cream eyeshadows in Burnished and Beach Bronze, but they don’t crease like BB’s. I was surprised that I could wear the blossom cheek color as it looks so light and cool but it was really pretty on my NC45 GGG/DDD skin. Can’t wear it as a lipgloss though – my lips are way too pigmented.

The pans are smallish which makes it difficult to use a regular sized cheek brush for the blushes – a MAC 188 would work OK but I only have a 187. The palette comes with a little brush that I can’t figure out how to use – the brush is double ended with very stiff bristles – it looks like a lipbrush on both ends but there’s no lipcolor (unless you count blossom), which I don’t. The only thing the brush is good for it to pat the gloss onto the cheekbones.

It costs $59 – the price is kind of high since you can only get one “look” with this palette – bronzy eyes and flushed cheeks – a great look, but if I’d spent $59, I’d want more options. I wish either the darker shadow was matte or she’d included a liner instead of the paler blush so at least you could have the option of doing day or night looks with this instead of just flushed bronzy summer goddess. Scratch that - if it was more versatile, I would have had to buy a backup - so thanks Becca for not making it perfect, In sum, a nice intro to what Becca offers and does best – I’m glad I swapped for it!!!!

on 11/29/2007 1:37:00 AM

*****CLICK 'CONTINUED' FOR PICTURES AND SWATCHES*****

Becca 'Best of Becca' palette is a limited edition item for Holiday 2007, featuring four of their best-selling colour products, one limited edition eye shadow and a double-ended brush in a compact palette. The outer packaging is classic Becca - slightly NARS-like dark brown plastic, and the inside is silver chrome with a decent sized mirror. The palette retails for $85AUD and US retail is $59USD (thanks storybookheroine!)

All in all, this palette is a fantastic deal. The shadows are full sized (1g/0.03oz) and it's a great way of trying their creme products without committing to a full size. The brush is very useable - one side is a standard thin synthetic brush (about 6mm across) and the other end is a natural hair liner/defined crease brush measuring about 4mm by 5mm. You can achieve a fairly defined line with the liner brush, too.

It contains : Creme blush (Turkish Rose, permanent, 1.5g/0.05oz), Lip & Cheek creme (Blossom, permanent, 1.5g/0.05oz), gloss (Bird of Paradise, permanent, 1.6g/0.06oz), shimmery eyeshadows (Brocade, permanent, 1g/0.03oz and Damask, limited edition, 1g/0.03 oz).

I won't describe the permanent colours since they all have their own reviews, but Damask is a limited edition shadow. It's a warm paled bronze/gold shade, not particularly unique but smooth, well-pigmented and pretty. There are gold flecks in the shadow, which can get a little bit messy without a base - think of it as a butterier, smoother version of MAC's lustre shadow formulation. The palette veers on the warmer side of things but I think a neutral/coolish girl could wear it, too.

Faults : a few. I don't like how they close - kinda like the Pout rouge closures (not the online sale rouges) and I have to dig my nails in a bit. Becca packaging (rubberyish) picks up dust well, and the chrome picks up fingermarks so easily. It'll be kinda hard to travel with AND keep clean! I'm also not really a fan of the gloss, kinda seems like a boring/dupeable/gimmicky product but it'll be nice for a natural lip. However, this palette is a real steal, and I highly recommend you pick it up before they're all gone!

I am NC25 (Studio Fix), C3 (MAC Face & Body), 30 (Chanel), 2 (MUFE Face & Body, winter) & OC02 (Lunasol Intellectual Powder foundation, winter)

Palette

Upclose on Damask

Bird of Paradise gloss

Blossom (top) and Turkish Rose (bottom)

Damask (top) and Brocade (bottom) continued >>