BECCA Velveteen Eye Palette (Holiday 2007)

BECCA Velveteen Eye Palette (Holiday 2007)
BECCA Velveteen PaletteBECCA Velveteen PaletteBECCA Velveteen PaletteBecca Velveteen eye palette

4.8

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I have crossed over to the dark side and may never go back, lol. I got this palette from a lovely MUAer and it's been love ever since. The shadows have a shimmery texture that spreads so smoothly on the lids. Not a frosty or glittery shimmer...but a wonderful sheen look on the lid. Every shade has looked amazing on my NC45 skintone and I've almost forgotten about my other shadows since I've gotten this. I can do a nice daytime look and also deepen the look for the evening. I've used MAC Bamboom and Sublime Nature paints as bases and no creasing or fading at all. GGGs and DDDs don't be afraid of Becca...she is our friend!

on 9/15/2008 1:59:00 PM

LE, Holiday 2007

Eye Colour Powder (Shimmer) in Organza - pearly white shimmer

Eye Colour Powder (Shimmer) in Lurex - silvery gold shimmer

Eye Colour Powder (Shimmer) in Chintz - olive/khaki green shimmer

Eye Colour Powder (Shimmer) in Shantung - antique bronze shimmer

Compact Eyeliner in Barbarella - matte rich black

Product - The eyeshadows are smooth, silky, and easy to blend and work with. Just the right amount of pigmentation, not too sheer, not too heavy, and not too shimmery. For my AAB/NC25 coloring, this palette is great for neutral looks and can be made more dramatic depending on how you apply the eyeliner shade (dry and smoky, or wet and well-defined). The eyeliner shade looks like a soft black in the pan, but goes on much richer and blacker than I expected (a good thing, in my book); I'm not sure if the eyeliner is intended only for use wet, but it works well either wet or dry.

Shade Comparisons - Lurex is extremely similar to NARS Cyprus. Shantung is extremely similar to Jane Eye Zing in Magical Mushroom.

Palette Comparisons - I bought this so I could swap away my PD New York Eyes Kit; three of the shades are very similar (white, olive, bronze) but the other two (peach, caramel) disappeared on me. I like that the Becca palette has gold and black/liner shades, so overall the color options are of greater use for me. The Becca Sateen eye palette is a bit cooler toned and has softer colors (all neutrals) with a medium brown liner.

Packaging - This is a 5-pan compact, like PD's and BB's 5-pan palettes, with all the pans in a straight line. Has the same brown rubbery exterior as Becca's single creme blushes, etc. There is a full size mirror under the lid and a brush well for the included dual-ended liner/shadow brush. The eyeshadow brush is of reasonably good quality and size. As received, the narrow eyeliner brush looked a bit splayed - the hairs on the liner end didn't really lay together very well, so I trimmed it (just a teeny bit) into a neater shape. The important thing is that the hairs are firm enough to use for lining - so despite my initial reservations, the liner brush does the job quite well.

Overall - For warm toned gals, this is perfect for daytime/work-friendly neutral looks and easily transitions to nighttime smoky-neutral looks. continued >>

on 12/16/2007 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The Basics: This sleek brown case contains four eyeshadows, a black "Barbarella" cake liner, a double ended brush, and a high quality mirror. Each pan is about 1 g/ .03 oz - smaller than Stila and MAC, bigger than Fresh, and around the same size as the pans in BB's Slopes palette.
The Shadows: all of the shadows are shimmery but the shimmer is subtle and expensive looking - sort of like Fresh shadows. Used over primer I(Lumene), they survived the night intact.
Organza is a pearly white shadow which I figured I would never use but how wrong I was!!! It can be used as a base or a highlighter and it doesn't chalk out my DDD/GGG skin, even when used dry! It just gives my lid a sheer glow.
Lurex - shimmery wheatish-gold, think Stila Sparkle
Chintz - khaki-olive-green - think Stila LaDouce but less sparkly
Shantung - bronzey-gold, think Stila GoLightly but less sparkly
The Cake Liner - it's basic black but easy to apply and lasted all night - which is rare for me. I was surprised it contained parabens (I thought Becca was crunchy-granola) but whatever - what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger right?
The Brush - the brush is double-ended with shadow and liner ends. The shadow end is really useful because it's sort of a small triangle - you can use it for overall application but also to do precise work in the crease and to contour. The liner side was easy to use.
The Price - $49, but I got it 20% off. For $40, it's a good bang for your buck. I would have happily plunked down full price for it. Except for Organza, none of these shadows are spectaular, but they are high quality and versatile. You can mix and match them in many ways and use them wet to line if you don't want Barbarella drama. Am seriously considering getting Sateen (packaging horror stories and all).
Here's my pic:

Full Size Image

on 11/29/2007 1:06:00 AM

****CLICK 'CONTINUED' FOR PRODUCT PICTURE AND SWATCHES******

Becca Velveteen eye palette is a limited edition item for Holiday 2007, featuring four shimmery eyeshadows (Organza, Lurex, Chintz, Shantung) from the regular/permanent line, and one compact eye liner (Barbarella) with a dual-ended eye brush (liner/application). The outer packaging is classic Becca - slightly NARS-like plastic, and the inside is silver chrome with a decent sized mirror. The palette retails for $75AUD and I hear it'll be $49 at US counters.

All in all, this palette is a *great* deal. Becca retails for $40AUD/$20USD for a SINGLE shadow, and all the shadows in this palette are full size (all 1g/0.03oz). The liner is 1g/0.03oz too, and is meant to be used wet. Separately, the liner comes with a waterproofing liquid but I find that it sets well without sealant and doesn't smudge.

The brush that comes with is compact without being decorative - I can actually use it. The shadow end at its fullest measures about 6mm and the liner is a mini flat liner - about 2mm. Both ends look to be made of natural hair, so the liner isn't quite as firm as I'd like. It'll be a good little palette to take on a trip, or just overnight - I love it already!

I won't review the colours in-depth (since they're all permanent), but they are exactly the same as the individuals - I swatched at the counter. They're not extremely pigmented like, say MAC pigments, but they have a fairly decent payoff and the lasting power is pretty good over a nice base. The colours work together well - I'm really loving this for foolproof neutral eye combos EVERY DAY for a week now. They are soft, gorgeous and almost blend themselves. I can knock out a look in about two minutes - I just add a base and I'm done. I can't stress how much I love this palette!

Faults : a few. I don't like how they close - kinda like the Pout rouge closures (not the online sale rouges) and I have to dig my nails in a bit. Becca packaging (rubberyish) picks up dust well, and the chrome picks up fingermarks so easily. It'll be kinda hard to travel with AND keep clean! However, it's a real steal, and I highly recommend you pick it up before they're all gone!

I am NC25 (Studio Fix), C3 (MAC Face & Body), 30 (Chanel), 2 (MUFE Face & Body, winter) & OC02 (Lunasol Intellectual Powder foundation, winter)

Product pic

Organza, Lurex, Chintz, Shantung, Barbarella swatches - please note these are more shimmery IRL, the light was pretty bad when I did these.
continued >>