3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

11 years ago

i was very disappointed with both the shampoo and conditioner. from reading past reviews i thought this would be HG material for me for sure, and i searched high and low. what i found was the products left my hair feeling waxy (after several rinses, yes), it got dirty much more quickly and wasn't particularly moisturizing and left hair with no slip. tossed it out after repeated attempt to make it work. for reference, i have damaged/dry bleached medium-long hair. natural texture and color is thick, dark brown and wavy. i blowdry and iron, and usually wash twice a week.

About reviewer (408 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

11 years ago

Good for chemically treated hair. Leaves my hair smooth after use but have to switch shampoos after every 3 mths. Usually i'll switch to Asience or Ma Cherie. Lately i've discovered this korean brand called Impressive and works the same as tsubaki and its more worth it because it comes in larger bottles.

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairOther

11 years ago

Here's what I like about this shampoo: the packaging...and that's it, I think. I bought the smaller size and the thing that's really clever about it is that even though the size and general shape are the same as the conditioner, the shampoo bottle has a rounded top and the conditioner has a flat top. This means that you can tell which is which just by touch! The red, plastic bottles are roughly 1/2 to a full shade different, but since I can't really see anything w/o my glasses, the difference is not enough for me to detect, particularly w/ water dripping into my eyes. As for the full-size bottles, once you use the product in those sizes, all you need to do is buy the refill pouches--no need to buy another bottle. So, what about the shampoo itself? Well, let me start off by saying that I'm Asian and I have semi-coarse, thick-ish hair that tends to get dried out from hard water, sun and salt water (I live near the beach). That being said, instead of helping my hair out, Tsubaki (the red one) causes really bad build-up, weighs down my hair, makes it appear stringy and well, my scalp starts to smell when I use it for more than a week (must be the build-up, I dunno). I don't really like the perfume-y smell, either. I had the same problems w/ Shiseido's Super Mild shampoo, too, so I'll just be staying away from their haircare from now on.

About reviewer (570 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Coarse

11 years ago

After trying the Shiseido Tsubaki intense conditioner, and loving the results, I decided to give the shampoo and conditioner a try. Especially since the price was reasonable compared to my usual brands (Joico, Ikon, Fekkai, KMS). After the first wash my scalp became extremely itchy and flaky. I'm not a person who has dandruff problems, so I know for sure it was the shampoo. I have thick coarse dry asian hair so I'm guessing this shampoo isn't for my hair type. It's time to pamper my scalp again after this assault.

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

EyesHazel

11 years ago

Tsubaki Golden Repair Shampoo & Conditioner. I have long Asian hair, lots of it, and this stuff works great. It really keeps my hair moisturized and smooth. I use the flat iron almost every day and not a single split end. Make sure to rinse well though as this is very moisturizing and may be too oily depending on the condition of your hair. I use 2 squirts, at most 3, and my hair is almost to my waist. Definitely like this best out of the many shampoos & conditioners I've tried throughout the years, even those from salons.

SkinAcne-prone

11 years ago

I hate to say, at first I liked the shampoo and conditioner. But even after, I had a tangled mess of hair. And my hair is fairly normal and typically not dry at all. I either had to put a ton of detangler in or wait till it dried for me to comb out the mess. In the shower, my hair felt great and once dry, my hair had a great sheen to it. Next day though, I had an oily scalp and I had to shampoo again. Also, it made my face burn and dry. I switched to Shiseido's Super Mild. Hopefully that will work out better. :(

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

11 years ago

I read so many great reviews on this product before buying it but to my disappointment, it makes my hair flaky like crazy! So bad I bought the whole big set (500ml each, shampoo & conditioner)!

About reviewer (28 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Relaxed, Medium

11 years ago

I have very thick Asian hair that has been very dried out and frizzy lately. After just one use with the conditioner I can tell it's so much smoother and shinier. It feels healthy and so clean for the first time in a long time! Prior to this I have been using John Freida Brilliant Brunette but it seems to have made my hair unhealthy. I went back for the Tsubaki Shampoo the next day and now I use both... I can't stop running my fingers through my hair and smelling it... for some reason with other shampoos the scent doesn't linger on my hair, but this one does. It isn't overpowering though and not too flowery. I can also air dry my hair and it's still smooth. LOVE Tsubaki!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinOther, Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

11 years ago

I have the Tsubaki Golden Repair shampoo (in the white bottle) and it is the best shampoo ever. Before using this, I was always trying different shampoos for dry hair (including really expensive salon brands). But since using this, I have repurchased 3x already! I have really thick, dry hair, and this is the only shampoo where after rinsing it out, my hair doesn't feel completely stripped and straw-like. I can even get away w/ not conditioning sometimes . . . it's THAT moisturizing! I also like that you can purchase refills for the large pump bottles, which is much more environmentally friendly. Any one with dry hair should at least give it a try!

About reviewer (12 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other

11 years ago

I have sensitive scalp and dandruff is a problem for me. So this super moisturizing shampoo is not for me. It's too oily and cause even more dandruff. I guess it's only for super damaged hair.

About reviewer (158 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair