The Body Shop Aloe Protective Serum

The Body Shop Aloe Protective Serum

3.0

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Water, Pentylene Glycol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Caprylyl Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Panthenol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Lanolin, Polysilicone-11, Sodium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Lecithin, Disodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Avena Sativa (Oat) Bran Extract.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The aloe range is the only TBS facial range that I can use on my skin, but I find that the moisturisers in the series leave a siliconey feel on my skin and eventually contribute to congested pores. It's similar with this product. While this sinks in quickly and does not leave a plasticky slickness, I always seem to end up with bumps and blocked pores after using this for a while. Shame. Makes a good base for makeup, but that's about all. It is originally designed to be worn under an extra moisturiser, which seems overkill to me--and I have dry skin. Overall, I like the Aloe range for its cleansers but not for any of the moisturizers, inlcuding this one.

on 8/31/2015 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I live this stuff. I don't really like moisturizers and will use this stuff instead. It doesn't really smell like anything to me. Not scented, not aloe, but a light smell that's barely there. It's not heavy at all, it instantly feels like you don't have anything on your face. Makes a good makeup base. I got it on sale for $10 I don't know if I'd pay $22.

on 4/6/2013 12:18:00 AM

I'm now onto my second 'tube' of this serum, and I can safely say that it works wonders on my skin.
I have some scarring on one of my cheeks from a terrible time with pimples two years ago, and when I use this serum, it helps to calm my skin and make take the redness out of the scarring.
I use it underneath the Aloe Vera night cream / day cream, but I know that it's not those creams that make the difference to the scarring, becasue when the serum ran out, the scarring appeared darker.
I also found that when I wasn't using it that the Aloe Vera moisturisers weren't quite moisturising enough on their own which was quite interesting, as I have combination skin.
I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who suffers from sensitive skin + scarring, as it really does seem to help.
Only things I have noticed about the product that I don't really like is that when I first put it on, it tingles a little bit on my face. This doesn't last too long, and doesn't irritate it. I also think that it smells a little bit strange, but once it has soaked in, there is no smell.

on 10/18/2011 10:17:00 AM

I liked this serum initially: no perfume and aloe vera which my skin likes. However, the more I used this (I've used up half of the amount and it's been 3-4 months since purchase) I noticed that the serum felt packed with silicones. It goes on smoothly which can indicate that there are silicones in it (have checked the ingredient list to confirm that it does contain silicones) but that prevents my skin from getting better. Silicones really aren't suitable in a skin care product like this one, it just creates a shield and doesn't let my skin breath.

I have tried both vit e serum and aloe vera serum from the body shop. They perform equally bad: no benefits, no moisture, and no real protection. I think the vit e facial oil is really good though as a multitasker. It protects my face from icy winds and works very well blended with other products as a moisture boost :)

on 7/12/2011 3:13:00 AM

I liked this product, it helped sooth my dry skin and provided an extra layer of moisturiser to my skin as well as my day moisteriser. But other than that it didn't really do anything. The product was quite pointless to me, and although I liked the product the more I used it the more I wondered what it was actually for. I'm not buying this product or any other serum again.

on 1/3/2011 5:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't really know why I bought this product? My deep seeded need to try and test new products? Anyway, I don't really understand this product. It's meant to be a pre-moisturiser? So your meant to cleanse, tone, then put this serum on THEN a moisturiser? It feels like too many steps to me.

I prefer a good toner before a moisturiser anyway. This is a very simple serum, it sinks into the skin really well. It doesn't offer any moisture at all. This is a bit of a nothing product for me. It made no difference to the look or feel of my skin at all. So I don't use it anymore.

on 12/22/2010 9:11:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Pros: no harsh ingredients, skin feels calm, supple and moisturized after immediate application.

Cons: moisturizing effect does not last long, no other active ingredients for treatment purposes for the price-tag paid, e.g. some anti-oxidants, extra hydrating agent will be good.

on 4/18/2010 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This is the first type of "pre-moisturizer" I have ever bought so please keep that in mind.

I wanted to buy a facial lotion that wasn't oily or greasy. The result was this serum which was water-based and soaked easily in to my skin. The texture of it is great and it does hydrate the skin. However the effect is only temporary and by noon I felt my skin flaking under my makeup.

I then used the instructions and placed it under my moisturizer. I didn't really notice any difference with this after I placed my regular moisturizer on top of it. It didn't hydrate my face longer. That was disappointing.

Also I feel that for the price of the product there should have been more of the lotion. The packaging itself was nice and the pump was great though.

I didn't see the point in this serum (hydration-wise) and I was especially unhappy about the money I spent to buy it.

on 2/14/2016 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've purchase this 3 times, but I'm still not sure if it's that great.

Pros:
- Dries down quickly
- Fragrance free
- Packaging is good

Cons:
- Burns my skin around the nose
- Not sure if it does anything

on 11/16/2014 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE - JAN 2017: I've had to stop using this, along with all the Aloe products from TBS and any products containing Aloe Vera. It seems the older I get, the more intolerant my skin is becoming, and I've found recently that any product with Aloe Vera in it causes my skin to react very badly. I'm leaving the original score I gave it, as at the time I did love this, but sadly my relationship with the TBS Aloe range is now officially over.

I have oily/combination skin which is also super-sensitive, so I have to be careful about the products I use on my face. However, I figured this might be okay as it has aloe in it which is supposed to be calming and suitable for sensitive skin like mine, and it doesn't contain any fragrance, colour, alcohol or preservatives.

I'm already on my second bottle of this, which goes to show how much I like it! I apply this morning and evening, after cleansing my face but before applying my usual moisturiser. It has a very light consistency and sinks into my skin really well, without leaving it feeling greasy. My moisturiser applies really easily over the top of it too and although it took me a while to get used to applying two 'face creams', it hasn't had any adverse effects like causing loads of breakouts or making my skin really oily.

The only downside I can think of with this is that it's quite pricey for how much you get - �12.00 for 30ml bottle - which means it doesn't last that long when you're using it twice a day. And when you're working to a budget, that can be a real deal-breaker. However, given the results I've seen since using this - softer, plumper skin, and a reduction in breakouts and acne scars - I would be willing to relinquish something else in favour of repurchasing this again and again!